Custom HTC Sliding Panel Home Screen

Discussion in 'HTC Snap | Ozone' started by leedash13, Jul 24, 2009.

1. leedash13

leedash13 New Member

Custom HTC Sliding Panel Home Screen

Hey guys, I just spent the day tweaking and customizing my new HTC Ozone from Verizon and the majority of the tweaks were on the Home Screen, so I figured I'd zip everything together and throw it up here if anyone else wanted to try and achieve a similar effect. Here's what I ended up with:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The home screen is based off the HTC Sliding Panel xml and cpr files, but is essentially a mix of the HTC Sliding Panel and Microsoft Sliding Panel screens.

What's actually changed/added:
    - 'HTC Ozone' text in upper left
    - 'Microsoft' version of glass box behind active selection (different from HTC version)
    - Darkened background on glass box to increase readability of white text despite wallpaper
    - 'Favorite Application' custom menu with links to Google Maps, Skyfire, Bing, Facebook & YouTube
    - 'Favorite Websites' custom menu with links to Google, Wikipedia & IMDb
    - Overall custom menu ordering of original HTC Sliding Panel Home Screen

I also created a few different wallpapers with the HTC Ozone logo and whatnot:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Everything is included in the zip file and very easy to customize to your liking. The majority of the customization occurs in the 'CustomHTCSlidingPanel.home.xml' file and is based off what is discussed in this MSDN blog: http://blogs.msdn.com/windowsmobile/archive/2008/06/03/customizing-the-sliding-panel-homescreen.aspx

I also included the .PSD files for the wallpaper and glass boxes so you can work with those individual layers.

Feel free to experiment further with the XML file and this customization in general. Let me know if you come up with anything cool!

In terms of installation, everthing in the zip file goes in your Ozone's \Application Data\Home directory EXCEPT the 'CustomHTCSlidingPanel_320x240.cpr', 'Custom_FocusPanel_Landscape.png' & 'Custom_FocusPanel_Action_Landscape.png' files, they go in \Windows

Obviously this customization is designed for the Ozone, but I'm assuming it would also work fine on any Windows Mobile 6.1 Standard 320x240 device.

Let me know what you think, thanks!

-Lee

http://www.leedash.com/htcozone/CustomHTCSlidingPanel.zip
    Dean Foster likes this.
  2. ustewjt

ustewjt New Member

This is EXACTLY what I was looking for! Thank you!!
  3. leedash13

leedash13 New Member

Thanks!

No problem, glad you liked it!
  4. artietyro

artietyro New Member

Hey Cool!!! Thanks!
  5. guest03

guest03 Member

Thanks a lot, thats very helpful.

How do you add your own city to the weather pane?
    Also, I can get your custom panels to show up, like favorite apps and websites, but cannon get it to say HTC Ozone in the top left, nor can I get the background to change to anythign but black. I made my own background, and change the code to point to that file name, but no luck.

Thanks
  6. leedash13

leedash13 New Member

mattbirk,

For the weather pane, that's just the stock HTC weather plugin. To change the city you just hit '5-day view'. Once the five day forecast screen comes us, hit 'Menu' then select 'Change City'. This will let you pick any city you want!

As for the background, the 'HTC Ozone' text and background image are all the same PNG. If it's not loading by default, make sure the proper PNG (mine or yours) is in the /Application Data/Home folder on your phone. Then just go into 'Settings' -> 'Home Screen' and change the background image in there to whatever your PNG is called.

Let me know if this helps, thanks!

-Lee
  7. guest03

guest03 Member

My city is not listed, looking for Belleville, IL zip code 62221. Ever St Louis is not listed, and it is the closest big city to me. I can hit go online and can find it on the accuweather website, but it will not import it to the home screen on my phone.

As for the background, I will check that when I get home today. Thanks for the info.
  8. leedash13

leedash13 New Member

Yeah it looks like selection is limited but I did see St. Louis in there, you just have to spell it out as Saint Louis when searching for it.
  9. guest03

guest03 Member

Oops, missed that.
    Appreciate it.
    I was looking under St and not Saint.

Oh, and I did get the wallpaper to change.
    Thanks a lot, think thats all my problems...for now!
  10. cchannelz06

cchannelz06 New Member

Thanks a bunch for posting this up. Just finished up setting up my owns custom panels for my weather aps and websites. Much appreciated.
  11. dafr34k

dafr34k New Member

what if i only want to add the favorite applications panel? how would i do that?
  12. njsges

njsges New Member

i love the homescreen. how do i customize the program favorites in that panel. i see where they are l listed in the xml, but i'm not sure how to change them.

nj
  13. YoDude

YoDude New Member

Awesome panel

Just got my Ozone last week...
    This is a great home panel! Still tweaking the settings but so far I like this even better than the Skyfire home panel!
    THANKS!
  14. genie4today

genie4today New Member

Thanks for posting this! I'm getting my Ozone later this week and will definitely give this a go. :)
  15. guest03

guest03 Member

What am I doing wrong?

Can someone tell me what I am doing wrong here. I tried adding another favorite to the favorites panel by copying the code and pasting it, changing the info.

I attached a picture of my code. The Digg favorite works just fine ( I replaced your IMDb with Digg), but when I tried adding my own, it didn't show up.

Thanks,

Matt

EDIT: Sorry, I post too early, I was able to figure it out after reading the code more closely. On the top (not shown in picture) I have to add CustomPage4 to it.

I'm slowly figuring this out.

Attached Files:

• code.jpg
      code.jpg
      File size:
      88.6 KB
      Views:
  16. YoDude

YoDude New Member

Email on home screen?

I know a little code - very little, actually...
    But can anyone pls tell me how to go about adding the shortcut & icon for email inboxes to the custom sliding panel such as this one that is part of the HTC panel? It is the only thing I am missing from this wonderful custom panel.
    Thanks a lot!

Attached Files:

17. genie4today

genie4today New Member

I just spent the afternoon putting this fresh new coat of paint on mine, thanks to you. It really makes everything much nicer. Thanks! :smile:
  18. leedash13

leedash13 New Member

Thanks again for all the great comments, I really appreciate it!

YoDude, that's actually one of the biggest problems I tried to figure out for hours with no luck. What I actually did was change the homescreen code to show the Microsoft CHome panel, rather than the HTCVOICEMAIL panel. The Chome panel breaks apart each mailbox (which I prefer) rather than the HTCVOICEMAIL which just has one icon for all mailboxes. So as of now, my Plugins Order tag looks like this:

<Plugins Order="CClock;CHome;CCustomPlugin1;CCustomPlugin2;CustomPlugin3;HTCWeather;Settings" CPRFileName="CustomHTCSlidingPanel" >

Here's the catch, while the Chome is great for e-mail, the missed calls button doesn't link to the Visual Voicemail since thats microsoft specific. So, I made yet another CCustomPlugin that links to the Visual Voicemail application. Unfortunately it won't say how many voicemails you have (like the HTCVOICEMAIL pane does) but its a best of both worlds approach. Here is the custom plugin code for that:

[​IMG]

That code also includes a link directly to the power management screen of the control panel which is handy to get that full size bar of your battery life. Also includes quick links to file explorer and pictures & video (feel free to remove/customize links as necessary)

Updated XML file and battery icon are both in attached ZIP

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

njsges, to change the favorite programs, you just want to edit the text in between each tag of the XML. It's easiest to edit it in something like Adobe Dreamweaver since it will color code the XML for you, but even like notepad would work fine. Here is what each 'tag' is for:

TitleText: The name that shows up at the top of the glass box

SmallIcon: The graphical icon you want to show up in the class box (PNG format is probably best) also, don't know how this differs from the Picture tag, all my SmallIcon and Picture tags are the same

ActionURL: What happens when the OK button is pressed while that glass box is selected (can be a program path to an exe or file, or a internet URL to a website)

SK2URL: Soft Key 2 URL, what happens when the right softkey is pressed (usually mine are the same as the action URL, but sometimes you want something different to happen)

SK2Text: Soft Key 2 Text, what you want the bottom right bar on the screen to be labeled as

Line1Text & Line2Text: The text that shows up right in the glass box next to the icon, Line 1 is on top of Line 2 naturally

Picture: As mentioned before, path to the icon you want to use, can be same as <SmallIcon>

So, as long as you don't change any of the tags themselves, just the text in between them, it should be relatively easy to customize this homescreen. Definitely let me know if you have any more specific questions.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

dafr34k, this is a pretty easy customization to make, in the xml where you see the Plugins Order tag, you would just take out the names of the plguins you don't want. Just make sure you leave a semicolon between each item. So say you just wanted the clock, chome and the favorite applications and thats it, that line would look like this:

<Plugins Order="CClock;CHome;CCustomPlugin1" CPRFileName="CustomHTCSlidingPanel" >

Thanks again for everyone's comments!

Attached Files:

19. kimmyl444

kimmyl444 New Member

Help please

Lee,
    I just bought an ozone. I am obviously not very good with this stuff. I was able to download the zip file, but when I tried to copy to my device (or cut and paste), I get a little red circle with a line through it. What am I doing wrong? I'm using Windows Vista. Thanks!
  20. leedash13

leedash13 New Member

kimmyl444,

Make sure you're using the zip linked in my first post (http://www.leedash.com/htcozone/CustomHTCSlidingPanel.zip) and not the one I just attached a post ago. Also, follow the installation instructions from my original post, there's a few files that have to go in specific locations for everything to work. Let me know if this helps, thanks.

-Lee