Custom Extended Battery cover

Discussion in 'Moto Q 9n' started by sk8roy, Jul 19, 2010.

1. sk8roy

sk8roy New Member

Custom Extended Battery cover

Was lucky enough to get a brown nap from, aixelsyd, here and I received 2 extended batteries but only one cover. So I have the Blue nap and the Brown Nap. So here is my Extended cover that will go on the brown one. The epoxi is still drying but will add a pic of it actually on the phone when it is finished setting.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

There are a few shots of it compared to a normal cover and an extended one. If you can tell from the last pic it is pretty much the same thickness as the original extended cover.
  2. sk8roy

sk8roy New Member

Here are the final shots next to my Blue Nap with the extended battery also installed.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Think it turned out good, and seems sturdy. The real test will be the first time I drop it.....
  3. n99hockey

n99hockey Moderator Staff Member

wow thats pretty cool
    nice job
  4. Aixelsyd

Aixelsyd Active Member

Nice work man, looks really good. And now you can utilize extended bats on both devices.
  5. milovance

milovance New Member

Looks great, in fact, I might give it a try myself. I am a sheetmetal worker by trade, so I might use a piece of anodised aluminium or stainless steel instead of wood. Curious whether the piece of wood you used was a flat slab or if you had to carve it out some on the inside to clear the battery. I'd be destroying my standard cover to make this so I want to get it right the first time.
  6. sk8roy

sk8roy New Member

Thanks milovance,
    The wood started out 4"X6" and 1/8th thick. I did hollow/cut down the inside center to clear the battery. I cut it with my router exactly 1/16th and it just clears the battery. If you would like I can either put up some high res photos for you to see more clearly what I did and where I cut the normal battery back at. Or I can even email a few to you. Just let me know.

BTW if you made one out of aluminum that would be very slick looking. Best of luck and just let me know if you want me to put up some high res photos. You know what I probably will just throw up a few more photos cause I actually made a second one that looks much better than this first one I made.
    I'll throw some up maybe tomorrow or saturday when I get time to get the camera and flashes out.
  7. chris

chris Administrator Staff Member

First I'm seeing of this thread. That wood backing looks great. Well done!
  8. milovance

milovance New Member

more photos would be great, but what's really helpful is the information you just gave me. 1/16". I could make it out of two .065" thick pieces of Aluminium. On the other hand, that wood does look rich. Might just use my dremel as a router and try it your way. Maybe stain some walnut blue to match the front! Lol! I may have obsolete technology, but it's as cool as can be.
    What would really be great is if it could be done completely from scratch, without the need for a sacrificial standard battery door. There aren't many nap owners, but many of the few would like to have an extended battery door.
  9. sk8roy

sk8roy New Member

I'll throw some pics up here tomorrow for you. Also if your interested in maybe doing one out of wood I got my cocobolo off ebay. I'll find the seller and send you a link but he has several species of wood in what he calls "thins" and you get about 4-5 pieces 4x6 and about 1/8 thick. The best part is they only cost around $5 and if I remember right that was with shipping and all, very inexpensive. I actually first tried to make the entire back wood but the pieces are so tiny that latch the cover to the back, I did not have the skill to do it.
  10. sk8roy

sk8roy New Member

here are the pics I said I would put up
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Also it looks like the seller on ebay I was talking about no longer has a store.
    Hope the these pics give you a clear picture of how i cut the battery cover and all else.
  11. milovance

milovance New Member

Wow, you did and even better job than your earlier pics show. You must be a woodworking hobiest of considerable skill and expirience. I don't believe I could match your quality of execution even if I were to get really anal and obsessive, which does often happen. If I decide to attempt the mod myself I will post my own results as well. Thankyou so much for sharing this with us and a very nice job!
  12. sk8roy

sk8roy New Member

Well THANK YOU milovance. I have done my share of woodworking. Before this I have built several computer desks, entertainment stands, ALL of my kitchen cabinets, and even a couple PCs built from wood. I love making things with my own hands. I'm not sure about skill but I AM very anal and redo things just to get it right. Even this second cover I think could have been better. Would enjoy seeing your results and if for any reason you do not succeed, just drop me a line and I would be happy to make one for you.