Currently eating....

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by EQBob, Apr 3, 2009.

1. TreeFrog

TreeFrog Active Member

ludicrous...as in the silly amount of posts? because for sure it's not a ludicrous cause...
  2. EQBob

EQBob New Member

That depends entirely on your perspective and there are certainly differing opinions. Mine, that it is illegal, might be a minority, but no less valid than any other opinion, and probably has a lot more legal justification.

Throughout time, hackers have loved to justify themselves as going against the man, ending corporate excess and greed, rising against tyranny, etc. Suck it up. It's called capitalism. If they were the President of Verizon, they'd be doing the same thing Verizon does, which is protecting the revenue stream for the shareholders. You don't like it? Fine...buy stock and change it the right way, the legal way.

The truth is that the vast majority of hackers are in it to get something for free so they don't have to pay for it, to pump themselves up by saying look what we did, or to prove themselves as being better, smarter than the "rest". Externally, they project arrogance and they love to cloak themselves as protecting the public, the little guy, etc. It's a crock of BS and if you stopped and thought about it rationally for more than 10 seconds, you'd likely come to the same conclusion. The evidence supports no other. The posters in that thread exhibit all of those characteristics and more.

Now lets say they actually do succeed. At a minimum, the "intelligence" of chronicalling their efforts in a public forum will enable the Verizon lawyers to sleep through court and still win. Think of other ramifications, such as it exposes EQ to a lawsuit and this place could get shut down.

You think Verizon is going to sit still if someone actually does hack something sucessfully? Do you recall the RIAA and the lawsuits they filed to protect what they saw as their rights? What about dozens of other companies in the same situation? They all sued. (and won).

In the meantime, at a minimum, these hackers, obstensibly protecting the public interest, are raising the prices *you* pay because they are lying about how all the phones get bricked, they get replacements that your contracts have to subsidize. Plenty of evidence in the thread of that.

Then, think of the legitamate user that has a phone problem and gets one of these phones that they've completely screwed up and lied about (which they publicly admit) and returned. Those phones go out as refurbs to other people who now get faulty merchandise, eroding Verizon's credibility and people's confidence in the products.

It's a crock. A huge crock and someday, I don't know when, but someday, it's all going to implode. I hope it doesn't take this site and the good that it does for the entire community, with it when it does.

YM (and opinion) MV. Opinions expressed are solely mine.
  3. dafoxs

dafoxs New Member

Wowsers Dude. Now that's a highjack.:)
  4. TreeFrog

TreeFrog Active Member

uhmmmm...yea...ok! buzzkillbob strikes again!! =)
  5. mike250rs

mike250rs New Member

now I feel guilty about splicing off my neighbors cable....
  6. dafoxs

dafoxs New Member

I just disconnected from neighbors wireless router.
  7. EQBob

EQBob New Member

You asked, or more appropriately, challenged. I answered.

Please feel free to return to the original thread topic as per the closing line of this post or continue discussion. Feel free to try and prove me wrong or convince me otherwise. I'm perfectly ok with open logical debates.

Heck, start a 'Merits of Hacking GPS' thread if you want. I'll join in. At last count, I've got some 1300 posts of evidence to use in discussion :tounge:

Thinking about having some more Ice Cream. It isn't going to help my heaache however.
  8. EQBob

EQBob New Member

ROFL! Thanks...I haven't laughed in a few days....that was good.
  9. EQBob

EQBob New Member

ROFL! Thanks as well...that was also quite good. Still chuckling.
  10. EQBob

EQBob New Member

Does it still count as a hijack if it was my thread to begin with? And if I returned it to its original posting topic? :tounge:
  11. dafoxs

dafoxs New Member

What about the 7 TVs I have, only pay for 1 connection.
    I thought it was only called cheating if you get caught.
  12. mike250rs

mike250rs New Member

damn loopholes.... :)
  13. mike250rs

mike250rs New Member

nope, It just means you didn't try hard enough..

[​IMG]
  14. EQBob

EQBob New Member

Ha!...cute. Society today unfortunately has that attidude. I'm not breaking the law if I don't get caught. Ok to speed if there's no cop. No reason not to run the red light if there's nobody coming. Ok to run the cyclist off the road if there's no one around. <insert 10,000 other examples>.

Those people are generally the first ones to b*tch up a storm when the shoe is on the other foot and it happens to them.
  15. EQBob

EQBob New Member

Wow...where did that emoticon comes from? Kewl!!!
  16. dafoxs

dafoxs New Member

Buy the way, Can you ever make a left turn on a red light?. I did on a 1 way street and I was going in the right direction. The ossifer said no.
  17. EQBob

EQBob New Member

No. There are no provisions for that anywhere in the US and Canada.
  18. TreeFrog

TreeFrog Active Member

sure..you win! i don't have as much wind to debate hacking with ya.
  19. EQBob

EQBob New Member

I wasn't thinking of it as winning and wasn't trying to "win" anything.

I was thinking of it as an exchange of opinions and discussion.

I have been told before I'm long-winded. Don't know where anybody actually ever got that idea.:gasp::wink:

Besides...discussion points can be succinct and persuasive as well. :tounge:
  20. beats

beats Member

a soy turkey sandwich and bicarbonate of fig leaf.