Creating Web Shortcuts to Bookmarks

Discussion in 'Windows Phone Software' started by roscoe22, Feb 24, 2009.

1. TreeFrog

TreeFrog Active Member

ok...here we go!

pull up your page on on your pc...i used IE and/or Flock (XP...shouldn't matter). Hit file..hit save as or save page page as. File name...change to whatever you want it to say...but keep the extension .htm or .html. OK.. now two options! Save as Type....HTML only or complete.

Complete will fill a folder with pictures and stuff that will make the quick surf faster and...duh...complete! this does take more room on your Q but if you have a decent card who cares. it saves all the web pics and crap locally for quick access...which im not sure if after time you may need to redo if the site changes. on this URL...total storage is about 280kb. Move the folder and the html file to your Q (i made a folder for you on my card called Internet URLs)...navigate to there via file explorer...highlight the html and make a shortcut to the start menu. done...sweet.

HTML only gets you there but in my testing the pics and what not do not load or are slow in doing so. on this URL...total storage is 15kb. move html to Q...and same as above!

here is the "HTML Only" file (inside the zip)....as the Complete one exceeds this forums posting zip size of 97kb!!! (lame)!

...good? if not give a holler!

Attached Files:

2. roscoe22

roscoe22 New Member

Thanks TF for spelling it out to me. It's clear to me now. I'll create some links after work tomorrow night. Time to hit the hay...:2cool:
  3. TreeFrog

TreeFrog Active Member

very good....make sure to tell me how it went! the links...not the hay!
  4. TreeFrog

TreeFrog Active Member

come on..lets hear how sweet it is!
  5. roscoe22

roscoe22 New Member

Hey TF, sent you a PM on 2/26, but I don't see it in my sent box - so you may not have gotten it. Downloaded your example zip and have created some links of my own! - examples: Web AM/FM Radio, Web Police Scanner, Web Shortwave, Web Dictionary, and Web Unit Converter. Really Cool to have this way also in the "arsenal". These links work as good if not beter than installed 3rd party apps! Thanks for spending the time. :2cool:
  6. TreeFrog

TreeFrog Active Member

yea! good to hear!
  7. dafoxs

dafoxs New Member

I just went to http://m.slandr.net on my phone. It is a mobile web based twitter app. there is an option to download a vertual start menu icon. I did install it. It ads a real icon to the start menu and you click on it and it opens the web page. If anyone can figure out how they did it, It would be great.
  8. dafoxs

dafoxs New Member

I do have the cab file if needed.
  9. TreeFrog

TreeFrog Active Member

i tore apart the cab and all thats in there is an exe and a ink (no registry values). the ink just points to the exe and the exe holds the Slandr image. i guess the cheesy resource editor i have doesn't reveal everything because all i see in the exe is the icon...no url. i dropped the exe on my phone and sure enough though...a clickable icon that takes you to Slandr via PIE! if i drop the exe into notepad i can sorta see the PIE path but thats about it. I wish i still had that resource editor i used for the "loading icons" last year.....
  10. dafoxs

dafoxs New Member

I'm gonna look into it later. Anyone else have the tools? This would be cool to figure out.
  11. roscoe22

roscoe22 New Member

I agree also - this would be cool. I don't have the software - but I second that we should not give up on this. Perhaps even start a new thread to find someone who does, if necessary.
  12. TreeFrog

TreeFrog Active Member

i did download the trial again for heaventools resource tuner and no luck still...only the icon is shown. maybe heaventools PE Explorer would do it....
  13. dafoxs

dafoxs New Member

I attempted to just edit the properties of the icon in the program file. Just coudnt get in there.
    Using TC, I went to the program file, click edit and you get all the strange code.
  14. dafoxs

dafoxs New Member

i changed the extension to txt and got this. If anyone can figure this out

click View attachment 6001

Attached Files:

15. TreeFrog

TreeFrog Active Member

i made a wee bit of progress messing with a shorcut of a diffent variety....but ill have to finish playing tomorrow. poker nite and all..
  16. TreeFrog

TreeFrog Active Member

No go...those exe's are locked up tight! you need some form of source code to get anything more than image manipulation. for sure you could always make a shortcut page like the flashvideobundle html and point to images stored on your Q if ya wanted but that's another "click" to get there.

and if your gonna go that far to have visual shorcuts/favorites...for a bit now iv'e been using a free mobile website maker for my pie favorites page. its very basic but its loads quick and is well...visual!

Attached Files:

17. dafoxs

dafoxs New Member

That's unreal, I sent Slandr and EMail asking how they did it. Got nothing back yet. Dought I will.
  18. ParaCAD

ParaCAD New Member

What is this "free mobile website maker"? Do elaborate!
  19. TreeFrog

TreeFrog Active Member

i made a "favorites" webpage via here like the pic above. you can upload pics for downloading, hyperlink, etc. fairly basic stuff but it makes a good homepage for favorites! heres the link to wirenode...

http://www.wirenode.com/

and to my lil "work was in progress" favorites page. if you check out the "pics" link you'll see some practice images i uploaded. i think you can have as many inter-linking webpages you want. theres a thread around here somewhere about this one and another called Mobilemo...

http://TreeFrog.wirenode.mobi
  20. brandon.roeder

brandon.roeder New Member

sweeeet!

Imma use your page as my home page :)

Has everything I need, right down to the bank i bank with! :p