Creating Web Shortcuts to Bookmarks

Discussion in 'Windows Phone Software' started by roscoe22, Feb 24, 2009.

1. roscoe22

roscoe22 New Member

Creating Web Shortcuts to Bookmarks

With Skyfire, I have bookmarks to Star Trek on Fancast, NPR, local Police Scanner streaming... etc. I've searched for a way to launch these bookmarks from Start (i.e., create Start folder links). Is there an app or method? Instead of running an app, I would just launch an icon link to a specific website that did the same (e.g., unit converter, dictionary, star charts...).
  2. TreeFrog

TreeFrog Active Member

you can do a save as html link on your pc...move file to q...then make a shortcut to it in your start menu or folder within. not sure about assigning an icon to it but it will say what webpage it is.
  3. roscoe22

roscoe22 New Member

I follow what you are saying, but I would like to launch the website from an icon in Start. I'll have to configure a browser somehow in the .lnk. Without a third party app specific for a browser (Skyfire, Opera Mobile, ...), this might get complicated. Wonder if anyone has successfully done this?
  4. kareljack

kareljack Active Member

Do you have WinMo 6.1? Are you using the sliding panel homescreen?
    Why not have a panel just for weblinks?
    That's what I did.
  5. dafoxs

dafoxs New Member

TF said to put a shortcut to it in the start menu folder. did you do that part.
  6. roscoe22

roscoe22 New Member

It seems like this is no big deal. I've looked for one in-depth book/guide to wm6.1 with no luck. If you have an iphone, they are falling off the damn shelves at Barnes & Noble! I don't know how to create additional panels for my sliding screen or how to add the weblink. If you can direct me, I sure would appreciate it. I'm going to start googling right now. Thanks in advance. I don't understand TF's help. Perhaps one example?
  7. Vazguard

Vazguard Active Member

Do a search for Sliding Panels and/or Chome Configurator here and you should find quite a bit.
  8. roscoe22

roscoe22 New Member

Thanks Vazguard. I'm excited and determined to get this done. Instead of loaded apps, I really want these quick web links!
  9. Vazguard

Vazguard Active Member

I have Facebook, Twitter, and Slandr Mobile all on my panels and they work great. Good luck!
  10. kareljack

kareljack Active Member

Vaz.... you prefer the twitter page over a twitter app?
    Sorry for the hijack.
    Roscoe22..I am on my phone and not near a computer..but do the search and you should get enough instructions. It's a bit tricky at first but you get the hang of it quickly.
    Chome Config has me loving the sliding panels so much that I hope it's a part of future WinMo releases.
    You can make panels just for programs, one for utilities etc etc.
    Matter of fact, when I have time this weekend I am going to divide my single apps panel into panels for navigation/transportation apps, social network apps... you get the idea.
  11. TreeFrog

TreeFrog Active Member

and i forget if skyfire has a "make me the default browser" option. if so any html ink will open sky...no pie!
  12. roscoe22

roscoe22 New Member

I have another way to create a link in the Start menu that will launch a specific browser bookmark. Here's an example - I wanted a Start menu icon that went to a live stream of my local police (i.e., make my phone a police scanner):

1. Set Skyfire as the default browser. Checked that other phone functions using the internet still worked (e.g., homescreen weather updates ...). Went to the website (in this case "ScanAmerica.us") and determined the URL for my radio stream.

2. Using "Word To Go" created a .doc with an inserted hyper-link on top and a brief description of its function below. In this example the link was long! Really liked that I could put a description and notes here.

3. Saved the .doc file to my storage card under Documents/Internet Links.

4. Created a shortcut (.lnk) to the .doc file. Renamed the .lnk file "Police Scanner".

When I select the "Police Scanner" icon in Start, it loads the .doc file. I click on the link (with info listed below to remind me what this launches), and then Skyfire loads and automatically goes to the stream and begins playing the live radio stream.

I'm sure this is not the cleanest/best way to do this (i'm sure some of the gurus are shaking their heads) - but I really like this method. I detailed these instructions to help the users who are at my level of expertise.:smile:
  13. TreeFrog

TreeFrog Active Member

or if you named the html file like i said to something like..oh..Police Scanner.html then it would open automatically in your browser!!

edit...and if you do have skyfire set as your default browser it should look appear in your start menu as... (skyfire logo) Police Scanner.
  14. roscoe22

roscoe22 New Member

I went on my pc (IE7) and went to the radio stream. I saved as a .html (both types) and imported them into my Q. When I launched the .html file, it brought up a somewhat unformatted web page that was non-functional. I used the "insert hyper-link" in word-to-go, because it was the only way I could figure out how to make a link work. Can the Q9h create a stand-alone .html file?
  15. kareljack

kareljack Active Member

okay... you rather do that entire dance for every webpage shortcut than use Chome Configurator and get the same functionality in a fraction of the time?
    Am I missing something?
  16. roscoe22

roscoe22 New Member

Perhaps its my quirk, but I like having the "start" icons for my important bookmarks. Most likely I'll learn the chrome configurator. I've had the phone about 3 weeks, and learn something new almost everyday it seems! Anyhow, you are not missing anything. Right now I like my homescreen as it is, but who knows?

My last question still stands: Can the Q9h create a stand-alone .html file; or if I have to try again with my PC, what does this file contain? I tried to create/experiment with XP notepad, but could not figure out how to give it an .html extenson.
  17. dafoxs

dafoxs New Member

did you try using word and save as html?
  18. TreeFrog

TreeFrog Active Member

post or pm your url to one of the websites you desire and ill make one..with directions on how you can also.
  19. roscoe22

roscoe22 New Member

Thanks a lot TreeFrog. Here's a URL I would like to use: http://radiotime.com/. I posted here, so it would be saved in the posts for others.
  20. TreeFrog

TreeFrog Active Member

ok...give me minute...booting up laptop.