Creating a Folder for emails

Discussion in 'Moto Q 9h' started by bragl123, Sep 5, 2009.

1. bragl123

bragl123 New Member

Creating a Folder for emails

I want to add folder(s) to the default folders of Deleted Items, Drafts, Inbox, Outbox and Sent Items. Is there a way to create additional email folders on the Q? I want to be able to keep certain emails for furture reference. Currently once I download them from my ISP to Outlook on the PC, they disappear from the Q. Manage Folders on the Q doesn't allow me to add a folder and I can't find the folders using Actvie Sync's "Explore". Thanks
  2. TreeFrog

TreeFrog Active Member

as long as folders are created on the server...not personal folders in outlook you should see them under manage folders. plus any imap used email account as well...
  3. bberryhill0

bberryhill0 Active Member

Gmail uses imap and I can't see any of my folders. I can move emails into them though.
  4. TreeFrog

TreeFrog Active Member

need to go to gmail on phone..manage folders..menu..show sync folders. (something like that..I dont have my Q9 with me)
  5. bragl123

bragl123 New Member

I use Earthlink. I can see the folders if I open my ISP mail account, but I am talking about the folders listed on the Q. I only has the folders listed on the original post. I would like to add one or two folders to save emails to for reference later as once I download the email from the ISP to my PC Outlook, all of the emails disapear from the phone. I don't use Gmail and I am not sure what imap is. Manage folders on the Q is available in the menu when the folders are open, but Manage Folders doesn't do anything.
  6. bberryhill0

Gmail>Menu>Folders>Menu>Manage Folders then pick a folder and hit the right soft key 'Sync'. This puts an Active Sync icon next to the folder name and adds the folder to the folder list. It does not download the Gmail folder to my phone.
  7. TreeFrog

TreeFrog Active Member

berry...somethings strange then. using imap gmail ive always been able to see the folders and their updated contents...from my original q to q9c to now saga. will show my gmail server accounts from spam to sent to starred....and all my folders i made. is the server side/pc side set up for imap? somethings not right...

every mail account i have i can sync folders and they do update upon every send/receive...outlook exchange..gmail..yahoo..aol..hotmail.
  8. bberryhill0

I never sync to my PC. Is that the difference?
  9. TreeFrog

TreeFrog Active Member

nono..

make sure under settings in Gmail (on your pc) you are set up as imap and not pop. also on your phone make sure are using the imap servers and not pop!
  10. bragl123

bragl123 New Member

Back to my original question. Is there a way to add email folders to the existing email folders on the Q9h? If there isn't a way, why is there a "Manage Folders" option in the email menu? What does it do? Again, I want to be able to save some emails for future reference, but "Deleted Items, Drafts, Inbox, Outbox and Sent Items" don't serve my purpose.
  11. TreeFrog

TreeFrog Active Member

only if you can set it up as IMAP...as stated above. also would need to check the "keep mail on server" option....
  12. bragl123

bragl123 New Member

I have the keep mail on server option selected now. I still want to be able to download the email to my pc for perminent storage, but just want the ability to save selected email to my phone. My email is currently pop. I don't know what the imap option is.
  13. bberryhill0

@bragl On my Q9c, the only thing you can manage in Manage Folders is to Sync or Don't Sync. If you choose to Sync a folder it shows up in the folder list along with the Inbox etc.
  14. bberryhill0

Doh! I picked the wrong folder to Sync. It must have had all its messages still in the Inbox. Now I can see messages in folders. Gmail defaults to IMAP. @bragl Check account settings>account setup. On the third screen it has the IMAP/POP setting. You have to set up a folder on your email server to be able to add it to the folder list on your phone. This will only work if you are using IMAP. If you can't put the messages you need into their own folder because you need them in their original folders then you might need to create a gmail account to forward them to. Gmail allows messages to be in multiple folders. Your server might not.
  15. bberryhill0

That is indicative of a POP connection.
  16. bberryhill0

Further research finds that Earthlink doesn't seem to support IMAP. So Outlook needs to be set to leave messages on server. Thanks TreeFrog! I don't need to view folders on my phone but now I know how. :)
  17. bberryhill0

I just found a reason to view folders on my phone. I archived an email and wanted to get back to it. Without sync I would have to use the web interface to get to the folder on Gmail. With sync I can put the message back on my phone and reply to it in Outlook. TreeFrog, you rock!
  18. TreeFrog

TreeFrog Active Member

very cool! hopefully brag now has a better understanding of imap vs pop.

@brag.....did you figure out or find out if imap is doable?
  19. bragl123

bragl123 New Member

Well Earthlink doesn't seem to support Imap and ATT didn't know how to add email folders to the Q. You can copy and past the email to a .doc to save. Not the greatest solution, but it'll have to do. Thanks for the info folks.