Copying large files directly onto Q storage card with Mac

Discussion in 'Mac and Motorola Q' started by djcampis, Jul 13, 2006.

1. djcampis

djcampis New Member

Copying large files directly onto Q storage card with Mac

I'm trying to drag and drop a encoded dvd video file onto my q through finder. The entire file transfers then it says "closing file". During this time i get a network error message that says connection interrupted to my q. Basically I can't transfer anything large onto it and i'm stuck.

Any ideas?

Thanks.
  2. bpatt

bpatt New Member

Large meaning how big? At what size does the problem manifest itself?
  3. djcampis

djcampis New Member

The file is about 500 mb going onto a 2 gig mini sd. It seems that the entire file transfers, meaning that the status bar says 500mb of 500mb copied... but it also says "(closing file)". After about 30-45 seconds of this the alert comes up says the connection was interrrupted.

It is boggles my mind....
  4. bpatt

bpatt New Member

That is weird! Can you reformat the miniSD? Sounds like a sector issue but I'm not sure.
  5. djcampis

djcampis New Member

I can try to reformat the mini sd but the question becomes how do i go about doing that. As far as i know the q doesn't have a reformat disk option for only the mini sd.

P.S. I was able to get other files on to it fine... ie. mp3s, pictures, smaller videos(50mb or so). And a work around i am using is to put the files into the installer program in missing sync and upload them there. The only problem is it takes forever. a 500mb files takes about 2 hours!
  6. bpatt

bpatt New Member

Can you attach the miniSD directly to the Mac via an SD adapter? Most mini's come with one and are easily readable/editable/formattable via USB on the XP platform. I'm sure that this can be done on Mac as well - if you have the adapter.
  7. dmakepeace

dmakepeace New Member

I have another question...I transferred 800 megs of mp3's to the mini SD card using my Mac. I put the card into the phone and the card is not "seen". how do I get the card to be "seen" by my phone. By the way, this worked really well for my old Samsung i730...
  8. davidsol

davidsol New Member

Interesting-- i have a similar issue.... I bought a 2gb mini sd, and via a usb adapter i mounted it on my mac and transfered about 500mb of data. mostly work stuff-- .doc, .xls, .pdf, .ppt file types. then when i go to open a word doc on the minisd in the q, the q says it doesn't recognize the file type. also the names of the files have changed on the q. each file now has ._ appended to the front of the name. For instance:

mydocument.doc is now called ._mydocument.doc. And so forth for all file types... a ._ added to all of them.

I'm going to assume this is basic Windoze torture at work (we mac users are so blithely innocent in these matters until the mortal terror of intersecting a MSFT operating system occurs). Presumably Windows Mobile has some crackup at the idea of files coming off a Mac...? Anyway, I literally cannot open any MSFT-Word docs on the Q that I transfered over, or for that matter any office documents at all. Anyone else have this "problem."

And, another dumb question-- why can't I rename "Storage Card" something else on the Q like "Another Name"... WTF?

I am so miserable with the Windows Mobile O/S. I can add that to my misery with TMS (see other forum for that) which really doesn't work either. I wish Apple would make a deal with Intel to produce Apple Phones and be done with MSFT. What is wrong with MSFT? Why must all their user interfaces be terrible?
  9. EBone

EBone New Member

Try reformatting the SD using Apple's Disk Utility in the Utilites Folder as an MS-DOS format. I believe the the problem is the SD Card is Apple formatted. This would explain the changes to the file names.
  10. davidsol

davidsol New Member

SD card already in ms-dos format

This card is 'out of the box"-- not formatted for mac. mac does not care what format it's in, as it can write to any format.
  11. EBone

EBone New Member

I agree with you that Macs can read any format. It's one of my favorite things about using a Mac. I have just had cases in the past where I tried to copy files to a Mac formatted card/Zip drive where the files acted the same way as you describe when that card is read by a Windows system later.

I only offer my suggestion as a possible fix. It wouldn't cost you anything to try reformatting to MS-DOS only.
  12. mchero

mchero New Member

I Just picked up a 2GB MiniSD card and inserted it into the Q. Had to use the tip of a pin to lock it into place. Created two folders, MyMusic and MyPics. I copied ONE file over to the MyMusic folder on the storage card using the Q's file Manager. The scroll bar started scroling while copying, about 3/4 of the way it stopped & the phone appeared to be hung. The screen then went black. I had to remove the battery & install to get the Q to power back up.

Have not dinked with the storage card since. Will try again when I get bored.