Converting "3G2" files to "WMV" files?

Discussion in 'Windows Phone Software' started by TAG1976, Jul 16, 2006.

1. TAG1976

TAG1976 New Member

Converting "3G2" files to "WMV" files?

Im sure this has been answered but for some reason I cannot find an answer in the forum. I took numerous videos this weekend while in OBX and when I got home and Sync'd with my laptop (thru the USB) the files that were WMV on my Q transfered to my laptop as 3G2 files, and they were not viewable. Do I need a 3rd party app to resolve this issue?
  2. TAG1976

TAG1976 New Member

Ive found a program from Xilisoft, but the Q is not supported, I guess its a start.
    Xilisoft DVD Ripper, 3GP/PSP/iPod video converter, AVI to DVD

Specs
    The 3GPP Converter supports popular mobile phone video formats including 3GPP, 3G2 and MPEG-4, it can convert all popular video files such as MPEG1/2/4, WMV, MP4, MOV, RM, DV, UV, H264, AVI to 3GPP, 3G2, MPEG4, provides you excellent image/sound quality and smaller file size just in a few clicks. 3GPP Converter allows user to customize various setting such as video size, sample rate, frame rate, etc. to get best video quality and fit your moblie phone screen. In the folowing, we are going to show you how to optimize 3GPP video quality on your mobile phone.
  3. SDMahan

SDMahan New Member

I just made a .3G2 video and copyed to my laptop. When I double clicked it, it opened and ran fine in Quicktime. If you want to convert it to another file type, you could purchase Quicktime Pro.
  4. TAG1976

TAG1976 New Member

I figured that out after a while. I just didnt think thinbgs thru. I just gutted my laptop a few months ago, and set it back up on "bare bones". It had just the amount of software it needed to run, nothing else. As soon as I installed the new Quicktime, Everything worked great. Thanks Though!
  5. motoreagin

motoreagin Member

video conversion...

Hello, I know this is an old thread but I'm still having issues with this. In my opinion, capturing videos that I can only replay on my phone or send to other people with Qs is less than useful. The memory they require only reinforces my opinion.
    I find it odd that I need to buy QuickTime Pro for $30 to convert these low-res 30-sec videos from something a Microsoft app created to something a Microsoft app can see.
    Yeah, it's super cool to be able to use my cell phone to capture videos, especially since I work in a helicopter sometimes and in a small jet sometimes and often fly over my house. However, I can't say it's worth it since I'll ONLY be using QTP to convert these videos to ones I can watch on my computer (or the computers at work...)

Is there not a free Windows app that will convert the file type?
  6. motoreagin

motoreagin Member

update...

So I just went to the official Motorola Q website. That's a frustrating place. Anyway, here's what I found in the FAQ:

Q: How can I play videos I have captured on my Q on my PC?

A: In order to render video captured on the Q on a PC requires some extra
    configuration. The technical reason for this is that the media files are
    encoded using the 3gpp2 codec which is not available by default on Windows
    Media Player 10. Until a codec is developed to support this file type, the
    customer can use the Quick Time player to view these videos.
    Customers can download Quick Time from the link below:
    http://www.apple.com/quicktime/download/standalone/

Then in tiny letters at the bottom:
    Another option would be to convert this to a video format which is supported on the Windows Media player using a freely available converter.

Do I need to point out there's no link associated with this last statement? Where is this converter of which they speak???
  7. Canis85

Canis85 New Member

In case you didn't know, you can set it to record for as long as you want in the camera options, they don't have to be limited to 30 seconds.
  8. won4jesus

won4jesus New Member

9. Digitalosh

Digitalosh New Member

It's people like this guy who make the forums valuable.
  10. cautionyou

cautionyou New Member

I find the way

[FONT=&quot]How to use it?3g2 converter Can you help me?
    [/FONT]
  11. Zinja

Zinja New Member

Totally going to check this out for my personal computer, but, I'm at work, and I cannot download new programs for use on my work computer. any other solutions? Can I upload a vid to say, photobucket, and have it converted?

I'd like to show my lady friend how badly the snow is falling and I can't do that with .3g2 format!

Side note, seems stupid that it's a windows supported file on the phone, but not supported in Windows Media Player.

C'mon Microsoft, this is a no-brainer! What a pain...