Contact migration

Discussion in 'Windows Phone 7' started by jaysonben, Aug 16, 2011.

1. jaysonben

jaysonben Member

I currently have my contacts to sync with Outlook. I would like to migrate that to Windows live. I have had a Live ID that isn't a hotmail address for a very long time. When I go into the Windows Live settings on the phone it doesn't give me the option to sync contacts even if I uncheck the contact sync in Outlook.

Anyone have any ideas?
  2. jaysonben

jaysonben Member

I got it. You have to export your contacts out of Outlook to a .csv file, then import them into Windows Live. They automatically sync to your phone after that.
  3. ninjaap

ninjaap Moderator

That's a great tip for others!
  4. ajayden

ajayden Member

Yes thats the best way and same goes for import to google contacts too
  5. Fleon

Fleon New Member

There's a much better way to sync Outlook to a Windows Live Account than exporting to a .csv, especially if you want to have 2-way sync. Just download the free microsoft Outlook Hotmail Connector from here.

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/o...k-hotmail-connector-overview-HA010222518.aspx

Just set up that account on your phone, make sure you copy your contact in Outlook into the new Contacts section it will create and you are done. You don't have to have email as part of that Live account, btw.
  6. jaysonben

jaysonben Member

LOL...I know. I have enough email addresses as it is. I like the fact that I can use my non hotmail Live ID to get all the sync done though. That was a good move by MS!

Thanks for sending the link, I think that would be a lot easier than doing the export and import.