consume battery

Discussion in 'Moto Q Hacks' started by pnasca, Mar 2, 2008.

1. pnasca

pnasca New Member

consume battery

How can i do this? is there a thread on it because i didnt find it? I know there are multiple ways on how to so let me know.
  2. rainmakerrc

rainmakerrc New Member

What exactly do you want to do? Do you mean how to conserve battery power?
  3. pnasca

pnasca New Member

yes.........
  4. rainmakerrc

rainmakerrc New Member

For starters, you can try these:

Try not to leave bluetooth on if you're not using it;

If your Q is set to automatically check email, set it to check a little less often;

Lock your Q's keyboard when you're not using it (that way your screen turns off quicker);

Close out applications with the task manager when you're done using them.
  5. pnasca

pnasca New Member

how do u close out of aapps?
  6. rainmakerrc

rainmakerrc New Member

You need to open the Task Manager. It should be under Start-->System Tools-->Task Manager. Make sure that you also exit out of the Task Manager (Menu-->Exit) when you're done.
  7. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

closing apps running in the background in my experience have very little to no effect on the battery life.... search the forums and you will find multiple threads on the subject...

potQ.
  8. rainmakerrc

rainmakerrc New Member

Probably not, but it's probably a good thing to be doing anyway.
  9. K3SRK

K3SRK New Member

My experience is... it depends on the application. Opera sucks power while messaging/calendar/email/whatever doesn't. I close it all anyway, just cuz.
  10. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

i find WM is quite capable to take care of it.... but that's just me. i unplug my Q with regular battery at 6:30am, moderate calling, pretty heavy texting... email every hour, about 2 hours internet.. rss app updates hourly. around 11:30pm i plug it in with sometimes 2 but always 1 bar/block left..

potQ.
  11. etherga

etherga New Member

my usage is similar to rude and i usually plugin around 12-1pm with batt warning regardless of whether i regularly kill apps

on a side note, what is RSS?
  12. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

really simple syndication... live feeds from web sites.

potQ.
  13. jae.keyz

jae.keyz New Member

i agree and still dont see why people say this. this is what windows is designed for. its like telling folks dont leave programs open on your pc because its gonna ask for more wattage and could fry your mobo and processor. I can understand if the program is processor intensive tho, like audio/video.
  14. rainmakerrc

rainmakerrc New Member

It probably doesn't make a big difference at the end of the day, unless you leave a music player, video player, or streaming media program running in the background. But, if you are going to kill these types of programs, might as well get in the habit of killing all programs when you're done. While Windows is supposed to manage open programs, it's not always perfect at doing so. Nothing wrong with helping it along . . .
  15. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

well, all we can do is remind them time & time again.. which we/i do :}
  16. etherga

etherga New Member

i submit that rudeboy does not sleep
  17. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

hey, you have no proof for that :}
  18. zenkinz

zenkinz New Member

data connection over gprs, while it's still much more energy efficient compared to wifi, will still suck up alot of your energy once you do frequent data transfer e.g. pushmail (or in your case hourly mail sync). (you can't run on pushmail over wifi [because you can't have wifi remain connected while standby] for as long as you would over gprs)

when I turn off roaming for my pushmail in my recent business trip, my battery could last me easily 2-3 days!. Granted I have lesser call, but I text more during those periods.

With pushmail turned on, I usually have to charge by the end of the day with 1-2 bar left (most of the time 1 bar) or risk the battery goes flat.
  19. brittoking

brittoking New Member

ADD "Pictures and Video" and the Blasted "Windows Media player" (that I hate because you cannot EXIT directly from the program screen like you can from Say...Pictures and videos)) to the list of apps that do significantly drain the battery while running in the background. So I disagree ( a little!). I'm one of the unfortunate q users who has never seen very good battery life (it has to be charged everyday no matter if I barely use it or browse the internet for 3hrs. straight). I also close EVERYTHING i use instantly, kinda "OCD-like"! And I also use Oxios Close apps. constantly which Has Greatly improved battery life (I can now go a night without charging the phone and still be able to use it for a partial day carefully) and Candlelight. But to be fair, I never "conditioned" my battery to begin with (and Im not even sure the Q has a "Memory" style battery? I dont recall), (on any of my devices, ipods, etc. I get too ancy waiting to use them!!)
  20. Der Alta

Der Alta New Member

Is that with the regular battery, or a large capacity battery? I'm just curious, as I have a large capacity battery and it last one day. My use is similar to yours, which makes me wonder.