Connetion error with Zune

Discussion in 'Windows Phone 7' started by Klaus Ahrenkilde, Jan 22, 2011.

1. Klaus Ahrenkilde

Klaus Ahrenkilde New Member

Each time me og my wife connect our phones LG Optimus wp7, witch we by the way are very happy with, to my PC, then Zune starts and write at the PC: Connection error. Disconnect the phone, restart the phone and try again.

Any suggestions?
    KA
  2. ninjaap

ninjaap Moderator

Try a different USB port.
    Are you using the USB cord that came with the phone?
  3. ajayden

ajayden Member

Just to add to Ninjaap's solution :

There are 2 possible solutions
    1) Try different USB Cord
    2) Try different computer
  4. Klaus Ahrenkilde

1) Try different USB Cord
    2) Try different computer
    3)Are you using the USB cord that came with the phone?

re. 1. Had tried
    re. 2. Will try . It must be the PC. I had just changed domain i my company and my PC . Can this be relatet ?
    re. 3. Tried both with orginal and othetr from HTC
    :-(
  5. Klaus Ahrenkilde

Stange I startet with setting my two wp7 mobiles form my win-xp pc. Later I installted Zune at my Win7 PC and picked pictures and music from the win7 PC using Zunie to download.
    Later I can never user my win xp PC to transfer to any of the two phones., but the win7 Pc / Zune transfer ok.
    ka
  6. ninjaap

ninjaap Moderator

Interesting. Probably a "permission" issue. Sounds like you can only use your account on one PC at a time, unless there is a way to set it up.
  7. Sergei Mkheidze

Sergei Mkheidze New Member

Had this issue...It's the certificate that is on the PC. You need to delete it and then reconnect the phone and it will work.
    Try this:
    1.If it is running, close the Zune software and disconnect your phone.
    2.Open Certificate Manager. To do this, clickStart , type certmgr.msc , and press Enter.
    3.ExpandPersonal , and then expand Certificates .
    4.Click the heading for theIssued By column to sort the column, and then look for one or more certificates that is issued to "zune-tuner://windowsphone/...".
    5.Right-click that certificate and then clickDelete . Click Yes .
    6.From theFile menu, click Exit .
    7.Start the Zune software and connect your phone to create a new certificate.
  8. ChittaKilla

ChittaKilla New Member

You rule!~ would have never thought of that! Thanks!
  9. Sharkman

Sharkman New Member

Issue: Zune Software reports it Cannot Connect to Windows Phone 7 and recommends restarting the device. After multiple attempts, Zune still will not connect to phone.
    Possible Causes:
    - User rebuilt computer.
    - User (re)installed Zune Software.
    - User configured device for wireless sync.
    - User changed Windows user password.
    - System personal certificate (shared with device) may be invalidated due to above causes.
    Hypothesis:
    I propose that the certificate being shared with the device does not get updated to the device after a password change. This issue is exacerbated in the event the device was configured to wirelessly sync during the period prior to the user password change.

My personal scenario:
    I backed up everything to my WHS prior to rebuilding my Windows 7 Ultimate x64 system. I fully built out new OS with every update/driver necessary. I left password blank for duration of build. I installed Zune software, attached WP7, configured as both wired & wireless sync. It worked for the period of ‘no user password’.

I decided to add a password to my user account. This is when the WP7 would no longer connect to the Zune software client. I attempted to reboot both the device and the system several times. Things I tried throughout these reboots included:
    Place phone into Airplane mode to avoid potential network mismatches.
    Disable only Wireless on phone and attempt connection.
    Use CERTMGR.MSC to remove ‘zune-tuner’ personal certificate.
    *Checked back that the certificate was rebuilt automatically, it was not.

This last step (*) lead me to believe that the system would not rebuild the certificate with my newly instantiated password on my user account. So, I simply removed the password, rebooted, and tried to connect my phone again. This worked. It also created a new certificate.
    Not wanting to run a system with no password protection, I decided to add a password back to my user account, but this time not through Computer Management, but instead to use the Control Panel - User Accounts facilities.

Another difference this time through is that I did not set the phone to sync wirelessly, until after changing the user password. I’m not certain which (if either) made a difference, but as it stands, I now have a phone that connects fine both wired/wirelessly to my Zune software.

References / Notes:
    To check certificate used by Zune, Run CERTMGR.MSC from Start prompt. Current User – Personal – Certificates – look for zune-tuner://windowsphone…

To change user password – Control Panel – User Accounts and Family Safety – User Accounts – Change your windows password…

Note – During testing I noticed some tell-tale behavior within the Control Panel, Hardware and Sound, Devices and Printers, whereby under the Unspecified heading I was shown two WP7 devices.

Summary – Changing the user password post-Zune WP7 sync configuration may lead to certificate issue.