Comcast's 250GB/month limit & Slingbox

Discussion in 'Windows Phone Software' started by dan j, Aug 29, 2008.

1. dan j

dan j New Member

Comcast's 250GB/month limit & Slingbox

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20080829/wr_nm/comcast_internet_dc (for those who haven't seen the article yet)

Ok, so Comcast Internet said they're going to be limiting customers to 250 GB per month. How many GB does a person typically use per hour watching HD programing on their laptop or smartphone?

Thank you,
    Dan
  2. dan j

dan j New Member

No one has any idea how many GB a Slingbox sends out per hour?

I talked to someone who said it depends on my broadband connection. "1GB is 1,048,576kbps. If you are streaming video on the Slingbox at 1,000kbps, you will get to 1,048,576kb in about 17 to 18 minutes. In one hour you can use around 3GB or more." Does that sound right to you folks? (my Comcast line is up to 6mbps according to the ads)

So, that's like 80 hours or so. Seems like a lot, but I'm worried because we use the Slingbox A LOT. Plus, we do use the internet for work and so on. I'm guessing that Comcast is limiting it to 250GB and combining downloads and uploads.

Can someone who has a Slingbox and a way to monitor the usage do a check?

Thanks,
    dan
  3. dan j

dan j New Member

And, is there a way to "turn down" the Slingbox's output?

Thanks,
    Dan
  4. ryant35

ryant35 Member

I would just use it normally until you get a notice. It looks like you get a warning shot across the bow... And once you get the notice you may know what you need to do to keep under the limit.
  5. firecracker37

firecracker37 New Member

Another thing that i would do is complain to Comcast about the decission. If enough people get upset, then they will probably drop the issue. I know that 250GB seems like a lot of data, but as a frequent internet user I know that I go through way more then that a month without stealing music/movies/software, so it isn't just pirates they are hurting.
  6. cindra

cindra Active Member

I read an article that said the limit would be about equal to about 4 standard-defiinition movies per day for the month.

The article also said that Time-Warner and other major internet providers would also follow suit...with much lower caps, 5 GB was the number mentioned. :frown:
  7. firecracker37

firecracker37 New Member

WOW! 5GB a month is crazy. I've done some downloading today, and I'm well over a gig. When I reformat my computer, the first day I have to get all my stuff back I'm close to 10 gigs (World of Warcraft client is about 5GB itself).

I'm curious to learn about why these ISPs seem to think that limiting customers is a good idea. If the equipment is about to max out, buy more. I spend $50ish a month for internet, and I wouldn't stand for a cap of any sort.
  8. sniffs

sniffs New Member

"1,048,576kbps. If you are streaming video on the Slingbox at 1,000kbps"

That's a little incorrect,

You may want to read about the differences between BITS and BYTES and what capitalized vs lowercase means in the case of both of those terms.

"kbps" lowercase is Kilobits per second. 1,000kbps = about 100KB a second.

"KB" uppercase is Kilobytes.

The typical Cable company is about 6mbps, which is = to about 750KB a second. 1.5mbps DSL = roughly 160KB a second.

Remember, these numbers are not divisible by 10, they are divisible by 8.

This is why you get a advertised 100gig HD, but install the OS and you've got like 25 gigs missing. That's because drive manufacturers use 10, whereas software companies/OS companies use 8.

So, streaming 1000kbps, which = about 100KB, you couldn't use all 250 gigs in 30 days.
  9. dan j

dan j New Member

Yeah, I could. But, I'd rather know beforehand rather than get one of the two warnings.

I think that if they're going to limit usage they need to provide a meter on the modem to show how much you're using so I can check it.

dan
  10. dan j

dan j New Member

Maybe its the flu and lack of sleep, I dunno, but I hardly followed that sniffs :gasp:

Seems like you're saying that I couldn't reach the limit if I streamed all day, every day for a month. Is that right? Wow, that's a really different answer than I was given earlier.

dan
  11. sniffs

sniffs New Member

:laugh2:

Comcast offers I believe 6mbps cable. This is 6 megabits. 6 megabits is 750 kilobytes a second. 6000 / 8 = 750 This is the rated download speed.

Dont confuse bits and bytes. The ISP's got it down pat on this confusion. People see 6mbps and think that's 6 megabytes. Completely utterly false.

So if you see 6mbps down/512kbps up. This means you can download at 750KB a second and upload at 64KB a second. 512 / 8 = 64

1 meg = 1024 kilobytes.
    1 gig = 1024 megabytes
    1 terabyte = 1024 gigabytes and so on an so forth, it's all divisible by 8.

so you apply a little math here, and say you uploaded 64k a second all day long. 1 day has 1440 minutes in it. (I hope my math isnt off, probably is, i was never good at math)..

64k a second * 60 seconds * 1440 minutes = 5.5 gigs a day.

5.5g * 30(days) = 165 gigs. So you wouldn't hit your cap. You'd have almost 100 gigs left of bandwidth.
  12. dan j

dan j New Member

Ok, I think I've got it. I'd still like a meter but it sounds like the limit is pretty high.

Still stinks though. I wonder when they'll lower it again.

dan