Chicks'n'Vixens Beta released on WP7 app store

Discussion in 'Windows Phone Apps and Games' started by jabberworx, Feb 1, 2011.

1. jabberworx

jabberworx Member

2. WinningGuy

WinningGuy New Member

Strange. When I follow that link it leads me to chicks'n'vixens beta
  3. Runningman

Runningman New Member

I was able to install Version 0.5.0.0 dated Feb 1st and it works fine. I was able to find an icon for the game showing today as a release date but it had no download button or version number. Version 0.5 loads and looks great on my Focus, however, I appear to be quite useless at playing it. I will turn the testing phase over to my gamer extrordinaire son on the weekend for more constructive feedback.
  4. jabberworx

jabberworx Member

V0.5 from Feb 1st? Man this is confusing, I'm certain v0.5 was not released on Feb 1st.. But hey, if it works then great :)

@WinningGuy, don't worry too much about the name, I ended up accidentally changing it after I took the other 'chicks'n'vixens beta' version off the app store.

Hopefully by v0.6 there won't be two versions of the same game with all wierd stuff happening.
  5. jabberworx

jabberworx Member

Hi Guys,

Was just hoping to get a sense of what the community felt about a level editor. In your opinion would it greatly improve the games likability or would it merely be a brief distraction?
  6. RandomAlec

RandomAlec Member

I like the idea that someone else mentioned in this thread about a Little Big Planet type game (much more basic and different if needed and to avoid copyright too). A level editor is always fun to have in any game, especially if people can share those levels.
  7. jabberworx

jabberworx Member

hmm, guess I'll have to look into sharing levels then so long as I'm having the level editor it may as well be good :p
  8. RandomAlec

RandomAlec Member

jabberworx, would you prefer if we email you a list of suggestions and feedback or just post it up on here?
  9. jabberworx

jabberworx Member

I don't mind either way, you can email me at jabberworx[at]gmail[dot]com if that suits you more, either way I'll see your suggestions :)
  10. SnailUK

SnailUK Member

So, played and completed the 18 levels over the weekend and pretty impressed.

Couple of bugs.

1. Between levels, im getting a 5-7 second black screen (HTC HD7).
    2. On failing a level, i get not "lose" prompt in the window, yet "win" works fine (UK English)
    3. I had one level (with 2 TNTs on high platforms), where the boxes just exploded before i'd released any chicks.
    4. I left a level untouched for a minute or so while i answered the front door, came back, and my phone had locked up. Had to completely exit the app, and on going back, i'd lost my progress (i'd done about 5 levels in that session).
    5. A couple of times when pinching to zoom, a chick was launched, even though my fingers were nowhere near the cannon.
    6. Needs to be some tutorials. I only found out by accident that the chicks with rope around them explode when touching them.
    1 person likes this.
  11. jabberworx

jabberworx Member

Thanks for the tips and detail you've gone into, some of the issues have already been addressed (notably the cannon and pinching) and will come int he next update, I'll try to squeeze as many fixes and polsiheruppers as I can for the next update, going to focus on levels and polish from here on in.

Unfortunately I'm going to have to push back the level editor as such...
  12. TheDFO

TheDFO Member

Good game. Very much like Angry Birds or Castle Crashers. I haven't played in a few days, so I apologize if you changed these, but:
    1) The auto zoom at the beginning of each level is odd, usually zoomed way into the cannon, and so you have to zoom out, then scroll, just to see both the target and cannon.
    2) The way you launch has issues. Maybe I just have fat sausage like fingers, but sometimes it's hard to see the cannon angle and the target at the same time with my finger in the way.
    3) Give us a way to turn off the sound as well as the music. I frequently game on my phone in places where I don't want loud game noises going.

Oh, and a level editor would be cool. Even more so if you can find a way to share it.
  13. jabberworx

jabberworx Member

I'm definitely going to be working on your suggestions TheDFO, there are a lot of complaints about the cannon and that is near the top of my priority list of things to work on.

The level editor will hopefully happen eventually, however up until v1.0 I'm going to focus my very limited resources on polishing and tightening up this game.
  14. jabberworx

jabberworx Member

Since the reviews are demanding more levels I've released an update, I'm calling this v0.6.

In addition to five more levels the cannon now behaves like a slingshot (i.e. pull back to fire), if you move your finger to the right side of the cannon you dis-engage it.

If you're pinching or dragging the camera around there is no chance of activating the cannon.

The camera will go back to its last position/zoom setting after a chicken has finished being fired (and stopped moving). This only works with ch
    ickens when their special power is not activated.

Level loading speeds have been dramatically increased, after an initial ~7 second wait for the first level to load the rest will load very quickly (almost instantly) until the app closes :) The reason for this is that content is now shared between all levels.

And here's a teaser screenshot of one of the new levels: http://imgur.com/fNYH3

I think there are about five new levels in the update, I'm sorry I couldn't make it more, I have a day job and it's 2am (I get up at 6 XD).

I will be working on more levels so by the time this gets approved I'll hopefully have v0.7 ready for submission :D

Release date is whenever Microsoft approves the update (hopefully sometime later this week).
  15. WinningGuy

WinningGuy New Member

That's awesome news!
  16. TheDFO

TheDFO Member

That is great. I am always happy when devs interact in a meaningful, prompt, and informative (*cough*gearbox*cough*) way.

Also, I've found that the music volume setting does not seem to save after quitting the game.
  17. jabberworx

jabberworx Member

God damn it, it's not in this coming update but it will be in the next.

I've been avoiding the settings screen mostly because my artist still hasn't gotten back to me on much needed work I require (apparently he doens't like making money, who knew?). I'll make the options screen feature complete with saving music/sfx volumes even if it means still using the old art for the time being I suppose.
  18. jabberworx

jabberworx Member

Hey guys,

V0.6 should be on the marketplace now, cannon behaves like a slingshot and the games controls should be improved overall.

v0.7 will be submitted for marketplace approval later tonight and will hopefully be approved by later this week. After which I'll be working on getting the game to v1.0 and finally charging for it :p Here's hoping I make back my dollars :D

There will be no new levels for v0.7 since it will be followed very soon by v1.0 which will be a for-pay version. I wanted to make the game free for people who already own the Beta but I don't think Microsofts marketting system supports that sadly :( If it does all the more better for you guys otherwise I'm afraid you'll be charged for v1.0... Just wanted to apologies for that now rather than later when it happens.
  19. SnailUK

SnailUK Member

What a shame.

I won't mind paying for it, quality little game.
  20. RandomAlec

RandomAlec Member

As long as your dedication and ears stick to what the community wants I can guarantee you people will purchase this game jabberworx.