Chicks'n'Vixens Beta released on WP7 app store

Discussion in 'Windows Phone Apps and Games' started by jabberworx, Feb 1, 2011.

1. jabberworx

jabberworx Member

The Chicks'n'Vixens beta is available for free download on the Windows Phone 7 app store.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wAXHUy1H9II

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ppq_qHudUDk

It's free and will probably remain free after its final release for at least 48 hours. So if you download the beta or the final game within 48 hours of its release you should be able to keep it forever [​IMG]

*Please be polite about it, I know it's not a finished game and I'm kind of putting myself out there hoping to get constructive criticism so I can integrate functionality into it from an early stage.
  2. n99hockey

n99hockey Moderator Staff Member

Really?
    Its just another variation of Angry Birds
  3. Jens Veraa

Jens Veraa Member

Impossible to play on my Samsung omnia 7. Takes forever to load (more than 5 minutes!)
    After that, slow responses, haven't got a chance to play so far..
  4. jabberworx

jabberworx Member

Really? How very strange, I actually tested it on an Omnia 7. It is a bit laggy since the version on the app store is version 0.4 while the one which runs smoothly is 0.5 (pending Microsoft approval) but shouldn't be unplayably laggy..

The WP7 OS isn't even supposed to let an app take 5 minutes on a loading screen, if nothing is drawn to screen for more than 9 seconds it will just close the app. That should also fail Microsoft QA testing.
  5. jabberworx

jabberworx Member

For those of you who are finding the game unplayable I would just like to apologies. I have identified and resolved the issue, it is up to Microsoft now to push through the update (should happen next week).

In the mean time you can work around the issue by setting your user interface setting (under settings/regions) to English-UK or English-US (or just English something).

Again I'm really sorry about this bug, it has been addressed and will come in the next update (along with improved framerate and more stable physics simulation).
  6. Martin Hyson

Martin Hyson New Member

some of us are still waiting to get our hands on the WP7 handsets (CDMA [​IMG])
    I really hope Sprint has a few truckloads of WP7 goodies in the announcement next week. I'd download this app right now if I could.
    Good to see the dev being active in the discussion!
  7. Jens Veraa

Jens Veraa Member

In that case, I'm not going to install it and I'm going to wait for the update (mainly because if I keep it, it will remain free) as I am not considering changing settings for a game.
    Hopefully it will be resolved by then and I'm looking forward playing it!
  8. jabberworx

jabberworx Member

If I wasn't I never would have found the non-English language bug, much less would I have been able to fix it (players identified and told me about it).

It will be resolved next week in version 0.5 (the trailer is for v 0.5, v 0.4 is the current version).

v0.5 is mostly about bug fixes, smoother framerate and better physics simulation, will add a few more levels to boot.

For v0.6 I'm going to start taking the game in a new and exciting direction, if all goes according to plan by the time v1.0 roles around people will probably not care if the game ships with no levels.

I know, I know.. I'm cocky.
  9. SnailUK

SnailUK Member

I downloaded and played this briefly last night on my UK HTC HD7.

Started quickly, looked very pretty, ran nice and speedily, very impressed.

Only thing i found a little annoying, is the impreciseness of the screen, some of the levels start with a very small cannon, and it can be a little difficult to get the perfect angle.

Cant wait to do a couple more levels tonight, cracking little game JW +++
  10. BullArcher

BullArcher New Member

Thank you Jabberworx, I am enjoying the game, and it runs fine on my Samsung Focus
  11. jabberworx

jabberworx Member

Thanks guys :) The next update coming out should make the game all the more enjoyable (foxes fall to the ground, physics a bit more stable, framerate a bit more smooth, an da few more levels to boot.

Fair point of course :) I might create a system which predicts where your shot will go, how about that? Even so I agree the size of the cannon can vary greatly based on your zoom level (you can pinch to zoom in and out). I'll look into this stuff after this current update is approved and put ont he app store (I've slept 3 hours since htis games release because of the amount of tech support I've had to give -_-).
  12. WinningGuy

WinningGuy New Member

I like that sound of that.

I'm imagining Angry Birds meets Little Big Planet.
  13. jabberworx

jabberworx Member

That is the long term dream, in the short term the only thing I know how to make is the level editor...
  14. WinningGuy

WinningGuy New Member

Long term dreams are what move the industry!
  15. Redux7

Redux7 Member

Tried it and enjoyed it. Is it true that the people who already downloaded the beta version will get the full version free.
    Take that Rovio...
  16. jabberworx

jabberworx Member

yes, and I'll probably extend that to people who get the game after final release. I plan on profitting from this game *eventually* but in the mean time I haven't decided how or what price modelling I'll use, except that I will almost defintely not be using ads!

We'll see how it goes, for now I'm 100% focused on getting the game playable and of a high enough standard that I can feel proud of it, and there's a lot of work left to do in that department (controls, levels, features, etc, etc).

When all is said and done though and you want to somehow show your support beyond playing the game and giving me your honest feedback you can buy 'Meteor Mania' for a buck off the app store :)
  17. Redux7

Redux7 Member

Sweet...
    Sweet didnt realize the screen name till u answered.
    Great game, Keep up the work and will show support as best as I can..
    Look forward to this game coming out of beta..Loving my Omnia 7 as well as all the Devs doing a great job to support this wonderful platform.
  18. jabberworx

jabberworx Member

Alrighty the update has been released for 'Chicks'n'Vixens', version 0.5 will work in all regions without needing to change settings, features foxes who don't spit on Newtons grave, there are slightly more levels, plenty more fun because of better framerate and more solid physics engine, there's also music too now which I hear is quite popular with young whipper snappers :)

Let me now what you all think, there is of course more to come ;)

*Also please don't download the app called 'Chicks'n'Vixens Beta', that is not the latest version of the game, 'Chicks'n'Vixens' is the app name in full.

Cheers :)
  19. Jens Veraa

Jens Veraa Member

I have now found v0.6 but the name states : Beta (even the other one)
    I'll let you know if it now runs as it should be on my Omnia 7

*Works
  20. jabberworx

jabberworx Member

Yes that works but it's actually v0.45, please don't use that version. Please find 'Chicks'n'Vixens' (without the word 'Beta' in the title) in the app hub and download that, that is the most up to date version which has the updated fox death animations.

Sorry for the confusion I'm causing :( I've really botched this games launch...