Check out kinomaplay

Discussion in 'Moto Q 9h' started by aldrichdesigner, Aug 25, 2008.

1. aldrichdesigner

aldrichdesigner New Member

Check out kinomaplay

Okay everyone,

Our good friends at wmexperts.com turned me on to a new media player available for a few of the q's. The q9h being one them. It's called kinomaPlay it's based off the player of the same name for palm os. Let me tell you guys, this thing is SWEET and I've only gotten the demo. I plan to get the pay version and will let you know my extended thoughts then but for now head on over to www.kinoma.com and download the freePlay version. This player connects to streaming services such as shoutcast, flickr, youtube, and orb for you people who stream you tv from your machine. It also access your local library and displays it all in a beautiful itunes-ish interface. This is the program you have been waiting for trust me. Clear, crisp, fast, youtube streamed right to your phone with no hacks and no browser wait times.

Let me know what you all think because to me this just made the q9h, the best phone ever.
  2. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

thanks for sharing. it looks great..
  3. craiggiarc

craiggiarc Active Member

Downloading the free version now, looks nice.

Thanks for the heads up.
  4. braj

braj New Member

I just upgraded from POS Kinoma 4, saved me $10. Of course, I just bought CorePlayer yesterday :p Oh well, a fool and their money as they say...
  5. dafoxs

dafoxs New Member

works good. why the email info needed?????
  6. kareljack

kareljack Active Member

This is pretty sweet.... I was reliving my youth by playing a bunch of old hardcore punk (none of that MTV/radio crap) videos from youtube.
    What I don't like - There is no way to exit directly from the app that I've seen. The app always scans all my folders on startup and when I save an image and select view, the app takes over.. and I have to go thru that whole scan routine.
  7. braj

braj New Member

Yeah, I'd also like smoother playback when navigating with music playing in the background, an EQ would be nice. But this is worlds beyond CorePlayer's UI and usability, and I really am getting a lot out of this already. I hope they build upon this nice base. It was really cool to browse my photo collection while listening to music, I was really happy they didn't just treat that as two media types and not do both at once. I was looking for a photo app as well and really disappointed with Resco Viewer which seemed the best choice from a limited field. So this is a huge bonus.

Somehow I still suspect CorePlayer is the better at actual playback, has more codec support etc, but the UI is a huge improvement and this app does a lot, you could definitely spend more money and get way less actual easily usable features.

This is about the slickest app on my Q right now :)
  8. braj

braj New Member

One thing I wish they could do is to map the side keys to volume and pause, hopefully accessible from any app.
  9. dafoxs

dafoxs New Member

it looks like it is designed to stay open all the time to avoid the scanning. other then that, very nice. anyone pay yet? what do you get?
  10. Xebec

Xebec Member

You can get it for free using the TrialPay link on their website. I signed up for the 14 day free trial of SuperPass from Real Networks and got the full version of Kinomaplay for free.
  11. Eaglefixer

Eaglefixer New Member

I just checked out the website. Looks like a nice little program. I saw that this will playback audio books from audible. Do you know if Kinoma is capable of bookmarking? I listen to audio books in MP3 format so it would be great to be able to save my place in a book.
  12. cindra

cindra Active Member

I paid! I messed with it for half a day and decided it was worth the money, if only for podcasts! No more downloading/syncing, etc. They stream! It's also played all the music files I've thrown at it (TCPMP and WMP were fussy about what they'd play). I've watched some Youtube and listened to streaming radio, and I've been creating playlists and looking at pics...this handles all media so far beautifully and saves me having to open the browser for content. Have not tried audiobooks yet, I've only owned it for an hour or so! :tounge: It'll take me days to play with everything.

(There are treble and bass controls...haven't messed with it much. Be advised it's available through EQ software, and with the everything code 6 bucks is knocked right off! :smile:)
  13. acedj123

acedj123 New Member

I bought it....it's ok, but there is quite a bit of room for improvement. It doesn't play back .avi files? hmmm. Once you put in an account for Orb you can't ever go back and change it? I hope you don't screw up the login info :)

Anyway, the interface is pretty nice, but there should be an option to disable the file scan on program launch or at least be able to define where the program searches...why scan the entire device?

This program has promise but I think $30 is a bit much for its current state...YMMV :)
  14. craiggiarc

craiggiarc Active Member

So in theory if you cancel before the 14 days is up you still get the full Kinomaplay and don't get charged for the Real Player?

Is this really a case of getting something for nothing?

Craig
  15. Xebec

Xebec Member

I believe so, they emailed me the code for Kinomaplay right after I signed up for the trial. I'll let you know in a few more days after I cancel my trial.
  16. craiggiarc

craiggiarc Active Member

I couldn't wait! I read all the small print and I didn't find any catch! :)
  17. skippy126

skippy126 Member

Has anyone who bought the full version tried to add your own podcast yet? If so, how did it work?
  18. kareljack

kareljack Active Member

This thing is officially beginning to get on my nerves. When browsing the web on my phone, some forums only show the link to an image that someone attaches. Normally IE asks me to save the image then gives me the option to view it. This is when kimoplay takes over and I have to wait way too long as it goes thru it's usual routine of scanning every frakking folder.

Time to give this the skidoosh!
  19. skippy126

skippy126 Member

I'm a little confused by this...are you saying that kinomaplay is somehow affecting your web browsing?

I agree...the scanning of the phone each time kinomaplay starts is REALLY annoying...I really hope they add an option to disable it (or at least have it "on demand") in the future
  20. kareljack

kareljack Active Member

Sorry if I wasnt clear... normally the image opens up right away afetr downloading it and being prompted to view it, but now kinomaplay has taken over as an image viewer and I have to wait until that scanning process is over, then kinomaplay shows the image.
    The scanning process is a huge negative for this software. I dont even recall it asking if I wanted my phone scanned for media files when I first installed it. Pretty frakkin obnoxious.