Cheap Samsung Focus Screen Protector/Shield

Discussion in 'Samsung Focus' started by chris, Nov 11, 2010.

1. deraildoax

deraildoax New Member

I signed up just to tell you about a good deal on screen protectors that I found. The company Phantom Skinz makes makes screen protectors that remind me a lot of Invisible Shield or Ghost Armor. But are super cheap. They're normally $10 buy one get one free. But right now they have a winter sale that is 30% off. So $7 for two screen protectors. However right now they don't have ones for the Focus. But keep a heads up. I really hated Invisible Shield ones because of the stickyness when you pinch zoom. But these Phantom Skinz ones don't feel sticky. Hope this info helps. It works great on my Samsung Vibrant screen which I have the same screen you do on the Focus.

2. chris

chris Administrator Staff Member

Plenty of people over at everythingPre have said good things about PhantomSkinz. I too looked there for Samsung Focus screen protectors before picking up the clearfreak. Apparently, the PS protectors don't suffer from orange peel
  3. A person

A person New Member

[FONT=%value]I like the fact that that one doesn't cut out around the light sensors like the Zagg does. THen again the zagg film is thick and it might work against the sensors.[/FONT]
  4. jimsmith

jimsmith New Member

Mine clearfreak is really fingerprinty and, as you can see in your photo, has a funny look to it...making it not really clear, but slightly distorted. I left it on though, since it has not driven me nuts enough to care. Maybe when I start watching some video on it while I'm flying around this TG I might change my mind.
  5. pinoyken

pinoyken New Member

I ordered a Clearfreak screen protector off of ebay the first day my Focus arrived, and wow.....(in the bad way.)
    It was nearly impossible for me to install it, (maybe I just screwed it up?), but once installed, I couldn't even see the screen of the Focus anymore unless I actually turned the screen on.
    I found some old screen protectors from a Samsung Captivate lying around (no idea where they came from), and just cut it to make it fit with the Focus....turns out I like these cheapy 99 cent ones from ebay better than those expensive shields out there...
  6. RandomAlec

RandomAlec Member

I purchased a ZAGG Invisible Shield on Cyber Monday for 50% off and free shipping. This is the first time I purchase and invisible shield from ZAGG (or any product from them for that matter), and I am completely impressed and in love with it. It is an amazing product and if you find it for a great deal or just don't mind it's price then go buy it right now you don't be disappointed.
  7. jontyrees

jontyrees New Member

I'm starting to repeat myself, so I'll probably stop after this reply, but I honestly think the Zagg screen is a huge rip-off. I've had the cheap ebay screens on my old Blackberry Bold for a couple years and they were great, my kids have Samsung Mythic touchscreen phones and the cheapo screens are great on those too. The Zagg screen on the other hand has a nasty slightly sticky feel to it, and a bad orange peel effect. It was hard to put on correctly, and the back protector left a nasty sharp edge all around the back of the phone - I took that off after about 3-4 days. They charge an arm and a leg for this product, and it's not as pleasing as the ones you can buy on ebay for about $1 apiece. YMMV, but I'd say save yourself $30 and avoid this product!
  8. RandomAlec

RandomAlec Member

I totally agree with everything you are saying as I applied a full body ZAGG shield on my brother's Samsung Focus the other day and all those things resulted. However, in my case like I mentioned I purchased the Invisible Shield on sale (which is the only way I would've ever purchased it) and it came out to $9.95 total with free shipping. I like how the screen feels I know what you mean by the sticky feel but it doesn't bother me. Also, my screen protector was installed by myself and it came out flawless but that's 100% because of the fact that I purchased a "wet application" version. Again, I installed my brother's full body shield and it was a dry application, what a pain that was. My point is if you can find a cheap ZAGG Invisible Shield then go for it because it's worth it in that case.
  9. Dweezy

Dweezy New Member

Last week I applied the Skinomi after an inebriated adventure left one minor scratch down the edge of the screen. It is a little sticky but I don't mind. I'm a fan of the wet application protectors as I could never get the dry protectors centered correctly. Now my phone can be mostly scratch free after a few shots!
  10. Edge1978

Edge1978 New Member

I have the ZAGG Invisble shield (Front/Back) for my iPhone 4 and there was a sticky feeling to it the first 2 days, but after heavy usage it seems to have gone away.
  11. bnk999

bnk999 New Member

I have the Zagg and cant stand it.
  12. My_WP7 IS COOL

My_WP7 IS COOL New Member

How do you guys put on your screen protectors? Mine is always awful when I try.
  13. chris

With plenty of spray to avoid fingerprints and to allow plenty of movement, so you can center it perfectly.
  14. Phyo Thu Aung

Phyo Thu Aung New Member

i just got 3pack for $10 from att store... it's a pretty thick film.. but, looks alrite.. except from some interference pattern when u look @ it at an angle.. with screen off

EDIT: each film came with two thinner films covering each side of the film... i was thinking.. i could just use one of those thinner films to protect from scratches.. I wasnt about to scratch my phone like one of those invisible shield demos anyway :D

i think it's pretty pointless to have .5 mm thick film when .05 would do the job...
    chris likes this.
  15. cheshirecat

cheshirecat New Member

Hi Chris,
    Gorilla Glass is much more damage resistance than regular glass. Regular glass is much more scratch resistant than plastic covers. The regular glass can be broken though. Canon uses regular glass over their LCD screens [soft material as are most LCDs] The only time I ever had a problem was when I dropped my Canon 20D and broke the glass. For $13 I got a replacement from Canon and since I had not damaged the LCD screen with the sharp glass fragments, I replaced the glass in about 10 min.
    Since the Canon LCDs [with the exception of the LCD covered screen on their high end Video Cameras] don't require any screen action from the user, I did get a polycarbonate screen cover to protect the glass from breakage [not scratching]. My Focus uses no cover and I don't get it near diamonds or emery paper so it doesn't get scratched. I would bet that any cover would decrease the responsiveness of the glass since it is a capacitive screen, not pressure or resistive. Just like the Apple iPad.
    I saved the $ and got a 16 GB microSD chip from ATT store [let them install] for $42 [included tax]. It is working very well and I had 22GB empty at first. I now have 19GB free [185 photos uploaded].

FYI the reason [for those who might ask Why?] you cannot remove the chip after install and have your phone work as before is that the OS integrates all of the memory into one pool. It then cannot tell which is the default and which is the chip. Pretty good from an OS and speed POV but not so good if you want to upgrade again later.

PS. Most electronics have a 3% failure rate after manufacture [including memory] but it is detected pretty quick. So... no amount of certification by MS will detect a bad card since the certification is type and etc. not a card by card inspection.

Probably most on this forum know the above, but....... just in case.
    CheshireCat
    chris likes this.
  16. chris

So Gorilla Glass > Glass.

I might pull my screen protector off. For one thing, it's not great for photography apps (for reviews) and I'm finding it's prone to finger smudges.

BTW, welcome to eWM!