Cheap Samsung Focus Screen Protector/Shield

Discussion in 'Samsung Focus' started by chris, Nov 11, 2010.

1. chris

chris Administrator Staff Member

Just a heads up that eBay has some cheap screen protectors. The display on this phone is killer and I'm not so sure how durable the display is... I've been pretty carefree with it, but don't want to risk scratching the display.

I paid $3.99 shipped and this company Clearfreak uses 3M Scotchguard technology. I checked all the major players... Zagg, Phantomskinz, Bodyguardz. None of them had the Samsung Focus listed.

Worse case, it dulls the display and the usability. It'll be scratch-free though.

BTW, I've never used them before, so cannot say if it's good or bad. All I know is that it's cheap and I'm the type of person that normally leaves the factory plastic on. AT&T's current "Don't Text" that appears on the screen plastic would make using the phone pretty difficult.:eek:
  2. muddtt

muddtt Member

Amazon has two brands: Amazer and Skinomi. much more expensive than the 3.99 u paid tho. I think they were both around the $10 mark. I ordered the Skinomi. I'll let u know how it goes. Seems like other skinomi users were pretty satisfied with it tho.
  3. kareljack

kareljack Active Member

One of the things I am worried about as far as screen protectors is that dulling effect. I have no idea how resilient this Gorilla Glass really is, but I dont want to take the chance.
    My Focus box had a plastic sheath that held the phone, I am still using it until I find proper protection.
  4. chris

Does the Focus use Gorilla Glass?
  5. kareljack

kareljack Active Member

According to Samsung, it does.
  6. chris

7. muddtt

muddtt Member

its weird they don't advertise that tho.
  8. chris

9. jimsmith

jimsmith New Member

I just got my clearfreak screen today ($4 shipped, on ebay), and I have to say, I think it sucks. I watched their installation video and followed their instructions, with the exception that I didn't have their squeegee, but a plastic card the screen shipped with, to apply it. Well that little plastic card catches on the soft plastic screen and leaves annoying lines. The other things is that the clearfreak screen has distorted the picture, making it very obvious there is a screen on it. I don't know whether this thing is defective or not, but I cannot recommend them. Epic fail in comparison to the screen protector I have on my ipod touch. The clearfreak screen will live on my sammy until I can get a replacement on it, simply because it does look like it will protect it. The other positive is that I have not noticed a difference in the capacitive touch responsiveness with the screen on, but my finger does have a tendency to stick a bit more. I suppose this would be expected of any screen protector.
  10. chris

Haven't received mine yet, but not looking forward to it after your review. Zagg got back to me AFTER I ordered the Clearfreak. If it's that bad, I'll eventually move to a ZAGG.
  11. TheDFO

TheDFO Member

Not sure when my clear freak will get here (I too ordered one, I mean, come on, it's only $4), but when it does I'll toss in my 2 cents. Also, their ebay page did say that the most common complaint is installation.

Also, if the screen IS gorilla glass, shouldn't that mean we...don't...need a screen protector?
  12. jontyrees

jontyrees New Member

I bought the Zagg Invisible Shield Dry when I got my Focus at the ATT store, and installed it that day. First one I've tried, and I did jack it up a little. It's incredibly difficult to get it lined up correctly using the method they recommend in the instructions, as you can't be sure it's exactly straight before you start inching up the screen while applying it. I had to peel it back a couple of times before I got it lined up exacly straight. Unfortunately, I had installed it upside down - with the hole for the phone speaker at the wrong end, so I had to peel it off again. It's finally on, but there are a couple of foggy corners where all the peeling off left fingerprints. It's ok, but not great. The back went on easily. Trouble is, I'm not sure I like the back. It leaves a distinct sharp edge to the back of the phone, which is not as pleasing to hold as the unprotected version.
    I'm having definite buyers remorse on the Invisible Shield. My front is not perfectly applied, and the back makes the phone less pleasing to hold. Maybe the edge makes it a little more secure in my hand, less likely to be dropped? Anyway, I feel like a bit of a mug paying $30 for something I'm not sure I like. I've always bought the $5-for-3 packs of cheap protectors before. AND the the Focus has Gorilla glass, which means maybe I didn't need a protector at all. Ah, the urge to buy accessories is strong when you're already reaching into your wallet.....
    Oh, and it has a slight orange peel effect too.
  13. jontyrees

jontyrees New Member

I finally got tired of the Zagg shield on the back of my phone. It was matte finish so it didn't look good, it left a sharp edge all around the phone, and I just generally didn't like it. My thinking is - why apply a product that ruins the look and feel of your phone in order to protect the look and feel of your phone? It's like keeping plastic covers on your furniture. I'm also feeling like Zagg is the phone protector equivalent of Cutco knives - of course they can offer a lifetime warranty on the product - they're charging 10x the price they should! I swear the front cover is no better than the $2 protectors I've used before. If those get scratched or foggy (which they really don't much), you just peel 'em off anf throw another one on.

Anyway - I'm MUCH happier with how the phone looks and feels now. Depending on how peoples experiences play out with the Gorilla Glass, I may peel off the front Zagg also. Oh, well, a $30 lesson!
  14. chris

Just installed my Clearfreak. Hard to tell what it will look like until it cures. Installation took me two minutes. I'm pretty crazy about my phones, so as long as it protects it, I'm going to keep it on for a while. I know the Focus has gorilla glass, but someone on the blog noted they have two scratches on their screen already.
  15. TheDFO

TheDFO Member

I got my Clearfreak yesterday, and installed it. I feel I managed to get it installed well, except I had to peel back an edge and accidentally got a fingerprint on it.

Anyway, I was going to leave until I found a better one, until I noticed just how soft that plastic was. I was able to put a scratch/crease in it with my fingernail alone (and no, I do not have crazy evil fingernails). I could also tell, even if just barely, that it was there.

Thus, I decided I'd take it off. What with the fingerprint, and the slight sheen of it, and the "easy to etch" I decided not to use it. However, if you're the type of person who leaves the factory film on, this is a GREAT product. I'm just not that worried.

I might try the Zagg shield though. In my experience Zagg's film is actually HARDER to scratch then the phone.
  16. muddtt

muddtt Member

Check out their feedback on GG from the android forum
    http://androidforums.com/motorola-droid/45812-has-anyone-scratched-their-gorilla-glass.html
  17. muddtt

muddtt Member

Skinomi is on. It's got a wet application process consisting of spraying the plastic and putting it on. The left over micro airbubbles are starting to evaporate 12 hours later. Overall looks pretty good. Super stuck on the screen. Found two pieces of lint that'll drive me mad tho. But i refuse to mess with it like its a bad itch or it'll be much worse.
  18. chris

I wasn't expecting much, but I am really pleased with Clearfreak. When I first applied it, it looked terrible, which is to be expected. Less than 24 hours of curing and it's not even noticeable. I haven't used the phone, so cannot comment on how the material feels during use. From a looks only perspective, this is surprisingly good quality screen protector.

I'll take some photos later and post'em.
  19. chris

P1010096.jpg As promised, here are photos of the Clearfreak.

P1010099.jpg P1010098.jpg P1010097.jpg P1010096.jpg
  20. chris

The marks in the third picture were my doing. I put a Palm Pre Plus on top of the Focus when the screen was still curing.