changing the loading icon?

Discussion in 'Moto Q Hacks' started by bolverkchaos, Feb 26, 2008.

1. n99hockey

n99hockey Moderator Staff Member

yes it did
    so i cant really do anything to edit it
  2. TreeFrog

TreeFrog Active Member

unless you can edit the qwes thingy in the cab..huh..huh? Thats in there as well as a waitcu thingy!
  3. n99hockey

n99hockey Moderator Staff Member

no qwes thingy in the cab or a waitcu thingy

only an xml file and a .000 and .001
  4. TreeFrog

TreeFrog Active Member

When i open it i see setup.xml and the 000 is named waitcu~1.000 and 001 is gwesex~1.001. and the gwes one is big...1mb

I'll try the cab edit first..then the \windows\gwes thingy! Or maybe jmorisey will slap me before I have a chance to try!
  5. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

i had 2 lockups... WM said caused by home.exe, both times while the Q was in keyboard lock....

potQ.
  6. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

ps. you can extract files from a .cab...

potQ.
  7. TreeFrog

TreeFrog Active Member

I tried the gwes file in the cab...xn cant see it!

Trying the real deal now...
  8. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

Jon will return and give us insight if you can't figure it out....

(i un-installed it for now... so far no lockups)

potQ.
  9. TreeFrog

TreeFrog Active Member

what was causing lockups..the WM6 cursor thing?

I did open the file within the cab and can see the files and how to replace files. I cant figure out yet how to replace the edited file back into the cab!

The other route of editing this file directly from windows would be easy...but I like the cab ease idea!

On another note...wouldn't this be the way to change up your startup animation stuff?:gasp:
  10. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

it's the only new thing i installed... so maybe it was that.

isn't the startup an animated image ?

potQ.
  11. TreeFrog

TreeFrog Active Member

k...feeling unsure enough that I dont want to execute a cab I made!

I extracted the 3 files from the WM6 cab, modified the gwes one with the bitmaps in it and used winace to pack a new cab. Sounds safe enough as I typed this though...but I think I'll wait til the expert chimes in!!
  12. jmorisey

jmorisey New Member

Lol, I am far from being the expert... I'm not a programmer or developer, I just learned from reading and trial & error...

I can post more tonight when at PC...

Jon
    POTQ
  13. TreeFrog

TreeFrog Active Member

hey..sounds good! I got a solid sprite backup in the hole but not sure enough to let it rip! I made a little spinning Ace of Spades card just to try. Looks ok from here but who knows!! Thanks!
  14. jmorisey

jmorisey New Member

IMO, its a ROM file, so if you screw it up to bad, just delete the file and windows will recreate a clean one...

POTQ
  15. TreeFrog

TreeFrog Active Member

my lil cab didn't work..failed on execution! Should of just spent my time editing the actual file in windows! I'll check your tips in the am.... ! :smile:
  16. jmorisey

jmorisey New Member

DId you get an error?? If so, what did it say?

POTQ
  17. TreeFrog

TreeFrog Active Member

just the could not install cab file error..got just past the "do you trust this" screen with the cab name and then failed!
  18. jmorisey

jmorisey New Member

OK everyone, here is a SUMMARY of how I did this. I will have to wait probably till this weekend when I have time and am at my home PC to give more detailed instructions, but I have a feeling that this will get you started.

First of all, I had to extract the file: gwes.exe.0409.mui from the \WINDOWS directory. (I believe for WM6, it is the shellres.96.dll) This is a ROM file, so it isn’t as easy as it sounds. I ended up using a program called WM5romExtractor.cab or something like that.

(The 0409 in the above referenced file is the LANGUAGE… i.e., if you are using SPANISH, your file would be gwes.exe.0C0A.mui)

Once this file was extracted from ROM, I then had to use a RESOURCE editor to open and view the contents of the file. I used RESOURCE TUNER… In the Resource editor, there was a group called BITMAPS. Within this group, you will see (3) sets of your current Icon, each set consisting of (16) files. There are (16) bitmaps in each size category… 32x32, 44x44 and 64x64. It appears WM5 uses the 44x44 set as the default for the loading icon. Now, I was able to use ANY size, but this was the default. (Sorry, I am not in front of the computer right now to reference the specific bitmap # in the Resource Editor).

It appears that you can use pretty much any size of bitmap that you want to, up to (16) to comprise of your animated load icon. If you want to use less, you can… just loop them. (i.e. Have (8) images and use the same (8) two times)

Once the file is SAVED, you need to DIGITALLY SIGN the file. I used a program I found over at XDA forum called Multiple File Signer. It uses signtool.exe and a generic certificate I guess… not really sure when it comes to stuff like this, but it worked so I didn’t complain.

Once the file is SIGNED, I then used a program called WinCE CAB Manager 3.0 to create my CAB file.

The rest is history….

I know it isn’t really detailed, but I am at work and don’t have access to my PC to go into that great of detail… additionally, I am not a programmer or developer, so it is still a learning experience for me as well.

Thanks, and I hope you all enjoy…
    Jon

19. Der Alta

Der Alta New Member

Wow... Some of those are expensive.

I'm guessing you have some of them for work?
  20. jmorisey

jmorisey New Member

30 day trial, so we will all have to take turns and space out the times we install these... this will maximize our time for creating these... lol