changing the loading icon?

Discussion in 'Moto Q Hacks' started by bolverkchaos, Feb 26, 2008.

1. Weapondrift

Weapondrift New Member

2. gorgarath

gorgarath New Member

The wait cursor is only 16 bmp images that are looped. The one you want, is few frames more than 16 :biggrin:
  3. TreeFrog

TreeFrog Active Member

yo Drift...probably! I'll take a look when I get to pc.

and Gorg...be with you soon too.
  4. TreeFrog

TreeFrog Active Member

Yea..that is 77 frames long! But one of the jeep ones I did was 55 frames so it's possible. Just need to remove the less-important and repeating (or very similiar) frames...getting it down to 16! Get the free apps GifSplitter and UnFreez and play around with it...very simple! Let me know if ya have trouble!
  5. gorgarath

gorgarath New Member

Woot! The jeep one worked this time! Though Marsall's still doesn't work.
    Unfortunately, I was testing some other stuff out and it's messed my phone up somewhat. So I'm gonna go ahead and do a master reset on the phone. Then I'll see if it will work with just the jeep one you just sent me. If so, I think we've somehow managed to figure out how the heck it works with a WM6 Q. Seems they changed the file names from what the touchscreen WM6's have. I'll be back as soon as I reset and get the chance to plug it in.
  6. TreeFrog

TreeFrog Active Member

That's good news and...maybe not so good! Jon's last post or so said he was able to change his wifes finally but it kinda messed up the phone! My fingers are crossed though!
  7. gorgarath

gorgarath New Member

Well, I thought what messed my phone up was a separate program, but after applying the cab file and restarting, it's back. Got missing icons for programs on my phone. Such as, PIE, Calendar, Contacts, Tasks, and a few others that are all just a blank square like thing. I'll attach a screenie to show what I mean.
    Though, after removing the file, it's back to the normal icons. And I'm pretty sure when I had copied the shellres.96.dll over my shellres.dll file that I didn't have that issue. Perhaps it's something with whatever file Jon was using that wasn't the right file for the phone? Maybe he was using the file from WM5 and renaming it for WM6 and therefor not having the icons it's trying to reference? If you can find me something that can copy a ROM file off of my Q9m I'll go and pull the one I have off and we can try changing it directly? I'm installing Resco now to see if I can copy that file over top of the other without it screwing up my phone. :biggrin:
    Anyone else got stuff for me to test before I go getting my phone all set back up again? *lol*

Attached Files:

8. gorgarath

gorgarath New Member

Haha! Killed my phone. Windows wouldn't even boot after I replaced the shellres.dll file. So something in one of Jon's first files that installed but didn't work, or possibly one of the ones TF sent me that would install but not work, changed some settings that allowed me to copy the shellres.96.dll file you sent me over the shellres.dll file that was on my phone.

Gonna go testing one by one with Resets as needed till I figure out which one it was. Hopefully I get this done quickly as I'll be going out in 2 hours. *lol*

EDIT>> Unfortunately, I discovered that it does it with the shellres.96.dll file TF sent me, I just must not have noticed the missing icons right away as they weren't in my MRU and I was excited about actually having changed the Wait Cursor. I'll try and find a program to extract my original shellres.dll file (and the .mui files while I'm at it) so people can work with one from the phone itself instead of a touchscreen's version of the file with the .96 in it.

EDIT2>> By the way, the first WM6 version of the file that TF posted in this thread is the one that allowed me to overwrite the shellres.dll file and still be able to boot, so need to combine that with a shellres.dll file or something it seems. At least it looks like we are getting closer to getting this working on a WM6 Q9.
  9. jmorisey

jmorisey New Member

I may have been wrong about that... it may be different for the Motorola Q9m....
  10. jmorisey

jmorisey New Member

Its linked in one of my post in this thread... can't remember which one exactly. I will try to find it for you when I get time and to a place where I can easily search for it...

Jon
  11. jmorisey

jmorisey New Member

Sorry I haven't been around lately to help! I started all this and now I run away...

My wife and I finally sold our house, so now we have 30 days to find a new house, close on it and move... I predict there will not be a lot of "PLAY" time in my near future. I am not sure if I will be able to keep up with this thread on a daily basis, and when I do check it, depending on how many post, I may not find time to read through all of them.

As it stands, I am still happy to help anyone that I can, to whatever extent that I can. The best way to get me is to send me an IM, that way I get it via email and can try to respond quicker.

I will have to try and steal my wifes phone from her again, but given the last results, that may be hard. I know I was able to run the WM5rom extracter on there... but she ran off with her phone before i could do anything else or copy the files to a PC.

Give me time and patience and I will do my best to accomidate everyone who ask...

Thanks,
    Jon
  12. jmorisey

jmorisey New Member

13. cheri

cheri Active Member

Thanks for the update Jon, you certainly have enough on your hands. Hope you find your new place quick!
  14. gorgarath

gorgarath New Member

Thanks! I'll give it a go as soon as I finish my Sprite. Good luck with the house hunting! I'm in the process of looking for one as well.
  15. gorgarath

gorgarath New Member

Here we go, I got distracted by SSB: Brawl. But now I'm back and have the shellres files pulled off of my Q9m. Now hopefully someone can get this figured out with the WM6 files as I'd like a wait cursor that doesn't screw up a bunch of my other icons. :laugh2:

In the meantime, I'll see if I can't try and figure it out as well. But I doubt I will. :biggrin:
  16. TreeFrog

TreeFrog Active Member

I'll take a peek at them! If we can at least edit it and manually put it back with no side effects we should be able to wrap a cab around it..haha, if ya know what I mean! I got lots of time tomorrow..:smile:
  17. TreeFrog

TreeFrog Active Member

K..with a quick glance your shellres.dll is of course the correct file and is quite a bit different from the others we have tried. I'd say thats good news...

If ya want I'll slap some new images into it first thing tomorrow, sign it and send it back for a manual insert..unless you want a cab. Let me know!! We'll have to get to the cab at some point too but its your Q so your call! Nice work! :laugh2:
  18. gorgarath

gorgarath New Member

Hehe, either way really. We'll eventually need a cab, but if it's easier to just slap the file in by hand for quick testing purposes, that will work too. I'll be awaiting e-mail at work. :) Oh crap, just remembered I'll be doing inventory at work tomorrow. 5 different buildings with a boat load of computers and printers and projectors to inventory. I'll definitely be looking forward to the e-mails to break the monotony!
    I'm just glad Jon posted the program so I could pull the files off. It was the only program he didn't link to in his instructions and I was finding everything except that program on Google. *lol*
  19. TreeFrog

TreeFrog Active Member

Did that program dump everything or could you select what you wanted?

And hell...hold for 20 minutes and I'll edit, sign and send that back! Just dont click on it or it might lose its signature..maybe..who knows!
  20. gorgarath

gorgarath New Member

It dumps the whole ROM (guessing, it might skip files for all I know) into a folder Dump on the storage card. Two folders inside called files and modules. The shellres files were in the modules folder. I just copied the shellres files off and zipped them.