Changing default Email account?

Discussion in 'Moto Q 9c' started by Resol, Feb 11, 2009.

1. Resol

Resol New Member

Changing default Email account?

Finally got tired of using Y2Go for email, so i set up a gmail account (yahoo doesn't support pop server with the free mail). I want to make it so when i select email on my Q that it opens my gmail account. As of now i have to go to switch accounts, then select gmail. Not a huge deal, just annoying. I have search for about 45 min but haven't found the info i need.:embarassed: May of overlooked something, so if u could point me in the right direction, i would appreciate it very much.
  2. ParaCAD

ParaCAD New Member

So you have more than one email acct? Whats the path you take to get to Gmail?

Also just an after thought you may want to set up your gmail using IMAP (instruction in your online gmail acct). You may run in to some issues if its set up pop.

I have WM 6.1 and i'll click the "messaging" key and i can choose from my Gmail, Messaging, or Set up Email. I don't have the need to switch acct, probably because i've only got one email acct set up.
  3. Resol

Resol New Member

With 6.0 I click email from my homescreen and it brings up outlook email wich i never set up. So i click menu>tools>options>Account settings its brings up some info to put in that looks nothing like what i've ever done setting up an email addy manually. it asks for server address and if i put something in there and hit next it gives me a spot to fill in username, password and domain (not sure what they are wanting here) but if i fudge my way through it, it still doesn't give me an option to enter the pop or smpt servers? Just asks what i want to sycronize? and those are the only options in there. So to get my gmail working I had to "Create new Mail Account" then enter all the info that i'm used to. Everything works, but everytime i open email, i have to choose switch accounts.?? Thats prob real hard to understand, i'm horrible at explaining things. Maybe some screenshots would help someone??
  4. ParaCAD

ParaCAD New Member

I have an idea what you're saying. But me being on 6.1 there may be some differences. Sure someone will give some advice soon.

If you hit "email" [SMS:0 Email:0 Voice:0] ?.......from your homescreen. Then hit the back button does it take you back to your homescreen or does it "go back/up a level" to your main msging screen?

As i said im not familiar with 6.0, but i wouldn't consider it TOO much different. screen shots cant hurt :)
  5. jsonghas

jsonghas New Member

Setting the Default Email Screen

I am experiencing this same issue. I use Active Sync to sync with Exchange server in the office. I used to have my personal account on here as well, so the option to select which account I wanted was ok. Now I access my personal mail via the browser, so when I click on the email option, I would like to go directly to Outlook. On the go, it is a nuisance to have this extra step. The ironic thing is there was a setting which said something about going to the mail selection screen that I selected. I have looked over and over and over through the phone and the manual to see where this setting is and I cannot find it again. If anyone can remember how to undo this, it would help us all.
  6. cjpederson

cjpederson New Member

You can either have it open to the account list, or to whichever account you want.
    To have it open to the list of accounts to select from, while in any email account, go to Menu > Tools > Options, and select Other. There's a check box to "Display account picker when opening Messaging". If that is selected, messaging will open to the list of accounts.
    To have it open to your Gmail account, you have to first be in your Gmail account. Do the same thing, go to Menu > Tools > Options > Other, and deselect that option. Whatever account you're in when you deselect this option becomes the "default".
    To switch between accounts, MMS and SMS, you can also just hit left and right on the d-pad while an account is open and it will cycle through all of the accounts.
    Hope that helped!
  7. Resol

Resol New Member

I was really excited when i read that CJ. Unfortunatly it doesn't work for me :( Still just open Outlook Email, wich isn't my gmail account. Still have to switch accounts to my gmail :( gonna post a few screen shots, maybe i'm just retarded.
  8. Resol

Resol New Member

Screenies

OK, first one is my home screen I select "EMAIL"

2nd one is what opens when after i click EMAIL

3rd one is when i click menu>tools>switch accounts

and finally the last one is in my gmail account.

Attached Files:

9. dafoxs

dafoxs New Member

why dont you use the right or left DPad to switch accounts?
  10. TreeFrog

TreeFrog Active Member

im the same as cj...did you go to every email account and hit tools..options..other..picker? if that option is not there it could be a carrier thing...im verizon. or there are 2 different plugins for email that do different things but thats a more technical..harder road.
  11. Resol

Resol New Member

cause ummmm....:tounge: ... thank you :laugh2:

and yes, i tried to change the picker option on both outlook email, and gmail, still didn't work. suppose it could be a carrier thing, I'm with USC

Just using the Dpad will work, but now that i have this "issue" i really want to figure it out.

Was just thinking that i don't have email set up on my pc and for some reason i have sync'ing probs (working on that now) could that be the reason I dont get anything when i just hit email?
  12. cjpederson

cjpederson New Member

What happens when you have the chooser option selected? It should take you to the list of accounts when you select email from your homescreen. If it doesn't, I'm not sure...

BTW... I'm running 6.1 on USC.
  13. Resol

Resol New Member

nope it doesn't. I'm running 6.0 I am baffled !?
  14. TreeFrog

TreeFrog Active Member

ive seen and used a couple different email plugins. one of them you could have it read gmail(1), yahoo(2), etc...and which ever you highlighted would take you to that account. granted that was back when i had an original q..but ill bet it still works. one was a sprint plugin and the other was verizon but both worked for me.
  15. lokh

lokh New Member

Hi. I also face the same problem. But it has been resolved.
    Not sure whether the trick can do the same for you.
    First, clear all the mail in your email account (the one that you want it to be default).
    Then download all mails for the particular "default" account.
    After that, just exit from the email and go back to your homescreen.
    Your homescreen will show that there is unread email. Access back to your email. It should go straight to the "default" email as it consist unread emails.
    Read all the unread emails (Select messages - All -> mark as read). Then exit again.
    After this, it should be your default email account.
    Hope this able to help you. :dft009:smile