Change/Remove 'Verizon Wireless' Banner on Homescreen

Discussion in 'Moto Q 9n' started by Q9Nap, Feb 24, 2009.

1. Q9Nap

Q9Nap Member

Change/Remove 'Verizon Wireless' Banner on Homescreen

Probably nothing new to experienced users, but for us dumbphone geeks who are new to smartphones, hopefully this will be useful, as editing the .eri2 file to remove the banner doesn't work:

HKLM\System\State\Phone\Current Operator Name

*EDIT*
    Nevermind, doesn't survive reboot

Now I'd like to know a way to remove the vzw branding in the 16_brick_131.gif and Carrierlogo.gif without overwriting files; anyone?
    I searched the registry and found no results, so will probably have to overwrite them, just wanted to double check.
  2. n99hockey

n99hockey Moderator Staff Member

the banner on the homescreen is in the xml of the homescreen

you can overwrite those splash images with ones of the same name with your own design
    when you delete them the original ones willcome back
  3. GoldMembr

GoldMembr Member

I remember seeing them both somewhere in the registry when i was looking for something else so they are there just can't remember where i saw them. If i find them again i will post.
  4. Q9Nap

Q9Nap Member

@ n99hockey:
    Thanks for the heads up on homescreen .xml files. I'm using the motorola dynamic layout homescreen. Of all the .xml files, full.home.xml seems to be the likely candidate, yes?

If I need to edit full.home.xml, this looks like the line I would edit:

<plugin clsid="{E09043DF-510E-4841-B652-388316977A7A}" name="carrier" height="49">

Am I on the right track? If so, would I just put whatever banner I want in the name="."?

*EDIT*
    On second thought, it wouldn't make sense that you could just type whatever inside the quotes, since it is referencing a specific registry entry; maybe have to create a custom banner string in the registry and redirect it to the custom banner string?

TIA

@ GoldMembr:

So is this the new vzw moto hacking and flashing thread or what? :wink:

I used the search feature of the CERegEditor to attempt to locate the .gif strings and it returned no results. But the search feature seems buggy; freezes up alot and have to restart, and even when it does find results, they disappear once the search is done. Is it just me? So maybe the strings are actually there and the program doesn't find them. Will just overwrite the .gifs for now...
  5. n99hockey

no its not full.home.xml
    i think it was flash.home.xml

this should help
    http://www.everythingq.com/forum/q-home-screens-and-wallpapers/rename-att-to-your-choice-19787.html
  6. Q9Nap

Q9Nap Member

^^^Thanks for the link. The flash.home.xml file is a little different from the one mentioned in that thread, so I'm a little confused. As far as "title" there are 7 entries in the flash.home.xml file; no big deal, just added "- custom" to the end of each entry.
    There is no plugin explicitly named "carrier", however "spplugin" is the logical choice, as the only other plugin is for iconbar. I changed the name attribute to text and changed "spplugin" to "Moto Q9n". Do I need to change the clsid attribute to text as well? Here's the before and after:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  7. n99hockey

thats the right homescreen file but the wrong plugin
    this file is very different from any other screen
  8. Q9Nap

Q9Nap Member

Wondering if it's possible to modify plugins? like is there a way to modify the spplugin directly?
  9. n99hockey

i attempted to load the Chome Configurator (program that lets you edit the sliding panels homescreen) and it would not play nice with the dynamic layout