*!change icons help!*

Discussion in 'Moto Q 9c' started by johnaltha, Sep 12, 2009.

1. johnaltha

johnaltha New Member

*!change icons help!*

I sort of new to the q9c moding, and i was wondering how i could change some of the icons i have in my start menu, for example i really dont like the messageing icon so i wont to replace it with a diffrent one, can someone please help me, i have a good understanding of the ink. files and etc. but i need some instructions!:dft009:smile
  2. sherri

sherri Active Member

3. johnaltha

johnaltha New Member

Confused

Im still confused on how to do this??
  4. manbat

manbat Active Member

I have a tutorial....search for manbat, icons. It will seem simple once you figure it out. I learned from posts here on eWM. Search and read the posts. I would post links...but I'm mobile. Posted via Q9n with Opera Mini 5
  5. johnaltha

johnaltha New Member

6. manbat

manbat Active Member

I'll fix the link when I get to my home computer.
  7. manbat

manbat Active Member

Link is fixed...

Link is fixed in original post. After looking.. that tutorial is to change folder icons. It does included an icon dll resource that can be used to change most folders. I believe I used Coppertop's and Munan's posts to help change the startmenu icons. It is a change in the way the icon.lnk is formated (Written with notepad). It does work. I have used it on my Q9m/c,Q9n and my Saga.
  8. johnaltha

johnaltha New Member

Ne some answers

thanks i changed up some icons, can you tell me how to make a dll file like the Second dll file that i saved to my memory card? and thanks 4 all ur help
  9. manbat

manbat Active Member

I make them with GConvert. It is a shareware program. You can use it for 15 days free. After that it will not build ICLs or DLLs. It will allow you to view icons in them though. I think version 5.2 is the newest. If you can find 5.0,5.1 and 5.2 and install each in order you can get 15 days with each version. Do WEB search. Good Luck.
  10. johnaltha

johnaltha New Member

thanks ill give it a try
  11. johnaltha

johnaltha New Member

and what exactly do i do to do the whole 1#\Storage Card\Icons\SECOND.DLL,-1 thing. but it wont be called SECOND DLL and it will proably icons2.
  12. johnaltha

johnaltha New Member

Thanks but one more question

Thanks i figured most of it out:dft010:big_smile but i want to know how to change the messageing icon and internet exploer icon if u could please help?
  13. manbat

manbat Active Member

14. johnaltha

johnaltha New Member

do u know what dll file the messageing icon is? so i can change the icon?
  15. manbat

manbat Active Member

I do not believe you can modify DLLs in the ROM. Did you get the GConvert? You can use the format for the icon.lnk in the linked threads to pull a different image for the shortcut icon. You can copy the lnk you want to change to your computer, open it with notepad,add the modification listed in the thread, put it back in the start menu. Then restart the phone. The new icon image should appear in the start menu and should link to the same application. You can use my sample icon dll or your own created with GConvert to practice with until you get it right. Once it clicks, it will seem easy. The linked threads give a pretty good tutorial. Good Luck.
  16. manbat

manbat Active Member

Sorry...forgot this. The dll is Shellres.dll, I believe... not 100% sure though. I believe trying to mod this file can make it unreadable to the phone. I read it in XDA-Developers I believe.
  17. johnaltha

johnaltha New Member

I think I messed up my messageing program because it won't open up. I think I might have deleted some things off the it when it was in .txt form so I was wondering what it is that I need to put back? so it will link it back to the messageing program.
  18. manbat

manbat Active Member

Here is a Tutorial.

Here is a Tutorial. Unzip it. There is a copy of the stock Messaging lnk inside the zipped folder. It's from my Q9m flashed with the Q9c ROM. There is also a modified Messaging lnk that directs to an icon in my Second DLL as an example of how it should look. Always save a copy of anything you want to change. Rename the changed one by adding a number to it so it will not overwrite the "stock" one until you are sure that it works. Hope this helps. I'll be near my computer for a few more hours if you need help.

Attached Files:

19. johnaltha

johnaltha New Member

thanks so much your great! I figured it out and fixed everything. they should make you president of this type of moding for the q's. or this website. ill write back if I have any more questions or problems and again thanks a lot:)
  20. manbat

manbat Active Member

Glad I could Help....

Glad I could Help....The next ones will be easier!! lol Like I said when it clicks in your head it's easy!!