Change default inbox to Gmail's "All Mail"?

Discussion in 'Moto Q 9c' started by ewok69103, Sep 30, 2009.

1. ewok69103

ewok69103 New Member

Change default inbox to Gmail's "All Mail"?

I use Gmail on my phone to view my emails, but I am not getting notifications of new mail being sent to me because I filter all know mail into appropriate labels (ie all mail from my sister skips the inbox and get labeled "from sister"). Because of this, I have very little mail in my inbox, and even though I am getting new mail, my phone doesnt recognize this and tells me there are 0 new messages. Sure I can go into my mail and check my folders individually or even check my "all mail" folder, but I want to be notified when anything comes in, whether its to my inbox or another label. So having said that, is there a way to do that. I would even be happy with being able to change the default "inbox" that I see with my phone to Gmails "all mail". I hope that makes sense. I look forward to seeing if this can be done. Thank you in advance!
  2. bberryhill0

bberryhill0 Active Member

You should be able to go into Folders>Menu>Manage Folders then tell the phone to Sync the All Mail folder. I haven't tried it.
  3. ewok69103

ewok69103 New Member

Yes that definitely works and it does in fact tell me if there is any new mail waiting to be read in the "All Mail" folder (I currently have 1), but the notification on the home screen still indicates 0 messages. I still have to check periodically in my Gmail folders to see if "All Mail" has any new messages. I can only assume that the home screen only indicates if there is new mail in the "Inbox". If this is the case, is there a way to have the home screen indicate if there are new messages in "All Mail". Thanks.
  4. n99hockey

n99hockey Moderator Staff Member

i think you can only see new inbox mail on the homescreen...
    i havent seen anyone figure out another way to see new emails on the homescreen from other folders
  5. TreeFrog

TreeFrog Active Member

flexmail..maybe...dunno?
  6. bberryhill0

bberryhill0 Active Member

The easiest way would be to leave mail in the inbox and move it to the appropriate folder after you read it.
  7. ewok69103

ewok69103 New Member

thank you all for responding so quickly.....I will definitely check out flexmail and if that doesnt work, I will have to go into my gmail filters and figure out a way to make this all work. Thanks again!
  8. simollie

simollie New Member

Did you happen to check the "Skip the Inbox (Archive it)" when you created the filter?
  9. ewok69103

ewok69103 New Member

Yes that is exactly what I did because I prefer to keep my inbox clean of all mail from people that I know and would rather just filter it into its appropriate label automatically and not have to archive it. If youre familiar with Gmail, I run multiple inboxes and have 1 of them filter out all unread mail, and after I am done reading them, its automatically archived...I dont have to select messages and then do it manually. It was a nice system for me, but of course doing it that way I am not able to be notified of new messages with Windows Mobile.

I have since changed all of my filters in Gmail to not skip the inbox and it seems to be working. Its certainly not an ideal solution for me, but its all we have to work with :)
  10. simollie

simollie New Member

ah, I see what you are trying to do. that's pretty neat. too bad it doesn't completely work for WM otherwise I could adopt that. :D
  11. adenicol

adenicol New Member

I am in the exact same situation, all my emails go into sub folders and then on my main screen it doesn't show that I am getting any emails.

If you find a solution to this, can you post it here?