Cellular wireless

Discussion in 'Windows Phone 7' started by Norfen, Nov 14, 2010.

1. Norfen

Norfen New Member

Two days ago, I made the amazing purchase of a samsung focus. Yesterday, my wireless failed. It works erattically, but most of the time it just says I have no service. WiFi works fine, as does Bluetooth. I tried it with another SIM and the same thing happened. I then completely reset my phone to no avail. Is my phone just faulty?
  2. pinoyken

pinoyken New Member

Is your area sort of in a dead zone?
    My Focus has had no problem at all with service.....I'm usually 3 bars or higher wherever I go.
  3. TheDFO

TheDFO Member

It is possible you just got a bad phone (it happens, and it's impossible to avoid 100%). Maybe try and return it?

Also, I might suggest looking into different locations. It seems that either the Focus has a smaller antenna than my old phone (a blackjack 2), or it just displays bars differently, because I do get less bars now then I did, however I don't drop Voice, Data, or WiFi, so...good luck.
  4. muddtt

muddtt Member

i have as good or better reception that my iphone 3gs. I'd just go ahead and try an exchange to see if it helps.
  5. pinoyken

pinoyken New Member

Also, for some reason when my Focus shows no bars (such as the signal bars display but are empty, but it doesn't show the little crossed-out circle that means no signal), I still have reception.....i.e., I can still send/receive texts and make calls.

I guess what TheFDO said was right, maybe it just displays bars differently.
  6. termleech

termleech Member

Ah the old bar issue. There is a great post on this subject but let me post the relevant part of it

"The problem with measuring cell reception is that there is no industry standard for measuring signal strength. What is 2 bars on one phone may be 4 bars on an other. This can vary even among phones from the same manufacturer. Additionally, EC/I0 measurements can have more of an influence over reception than signal strength. That is even if you have 4 bars sometimes you'll be unable to place a call, but occasionally be able to place a call fine with no interference, even with no bars.

So the simple answer to ""what exactly do those cell phone reception bars represent?" Nothing of much value."