Category changes

Discussion in 'Feedback and Site Help' started by chris, Sep 6, 2011.

1. chris

chris Administrator Staff Member

Following up changes made at everythingiCafe, I've started to make a few here with regard to category levels. I'm moving manufacturer to top level, rather than under Windows Phone 7 devices. This makes for less digging and easier access to phone models. If we get a slew of new models over time, I might have to rethink the category structure. For now, I think this works better.

Any feedback is as always, welcome.
    n99hockey likes this.
  2. ninjaap

ninjaap Moderator

IMO I don't think it's necessary to have separate categories for Zune, Xbox and Skydrive.
  3. chris

What about Zune? I think of the three, that might warrant it's own category.
  4. n99hockey

n99hockey Moderator Staff Member

In my OCD-ness I like to keep unlike things seperate.
    Skydrive/Xbox/Zune are different entities...different discussions....different sections
    My 2-cents
  5. ninjaap

ninjaap Moderator

I just think that since traffic isn't as heavy as it was during EQ times, it's better to have them in one sub-forum (Windows Phone 7). At least for now, until it picks up. The other current sub-forums like HTC and Samsung are good, because hardware do vary between devices.
  6. chris

I've pulled out phones from sub categories, so they are easy to spot for new members. For the time being, I've removed both Xbox and Skydrive. Zune is still so different from other categories, so I think it's worth having, even if it's not very well trafficked.

Traffic is a weird thing. My thinking is it that it's large in part to lack of devices being sold. Thoughts?
    ninjaap likes this.
  7. ninjaap

ninjaap Moderator

That and the fact that there aren't that many WP users yet.

Another possible reason is going to sound like a fanboy response, but I think it has a lot to do with the OS itself not having as many problems. Most people will come to a forum for support. Most people will post problems. In general, I have very little problems with the phone that it sometimes becomes boring. When I had WM and Android, there was always something to tweek, which was half the fun of the platform (for me anyways) but at the same time the source of frustration.
  8. chris

You make several good points. I wonder about the current demographic of Windows Phone users. Would it be a stretch to say that a good number are holdovers from Windows Mobile. As you mentioned, Windows Phone is pretty straightforward, and the WinMo user is typically equipped with technology know-how.

I also agree about the number of users. There just aren't a lot of Windows Phone users. I'd love to see numbers, but based on my traffic, it's not huge.
  9. chris

10. ninjaap

ninjaap Moderator

It seems the users are pretty spread thin between this and other forums. From what I can see the ones with more traffic are the ones with a good source of current news/blogs. Let's take wpcentral for example, I believe most of their traffic is directly related to their readers. Maybe you need more bloggers? I dunno just throwing out ideas.
  11. n99hockey

Those other sites, WPCentral, Engadget, BGR all get inside info, or scoops or invites to events...makes it harder for us to break news thus being in the know before those guys.
  12. ninjaap

ninjaap Moderator

I wish I was a real ninja. Then I could "poof" myself in and out of Redmond without being seen. :)
  13. n99hockey

Yea you should work on that!!
  14. chris

I don't have the budget those guys have, but certainly looking to expand coverage this fall.

I think it's tough all around. No one is seeing major forum traffic.