Can't Send E-mail

Discussion in 'Motorola Q' started by Geronimo52, Dec 25, 2007.

1. Geronimo52

Geronimo52 New Member

Can't Send E-mail

I receive e-mails OK and used to be able to send them, too, but I just noticed all my outbound e-mails are going to my OUTBOX folder and staying there. This seems to happen to replys as well as new messages. Any suggestions?
  2. n99hockey

n99hockey Moderator Staff Member

does anything happen if you hit send/receive?
  3. Geronimo52

Geronimo52 New Member

Nothing unusual happens. No error messages. One day I was looking at e-mails I had received and pressed the Menu soft button and found several messages in the Outbox that I thought had been sent.
  4. klamont9

klamont9 New Member

I'v had that happen and I have Sprint. Someone wrote on here that Sprint will only send emails if you are using one of their towers. Not sure if this is true or not.

When this has happened to me, I turned the phone off and turned it back on and that has helped, but not always.

5. n99hockey

n99hockey Moderator Staff Member

or just delete the account and recreate it and see if it works
  6. lexicon

lexicon New Member

Do you have data connectivity? Sometimes my EDGE just disconnects for no good reason - the icon stays activated as if the data connection is still available but nothing gets through. The only way to solve it is to turn off/on the phone connection and that usually re-establishes data transfer.
  7. Geronimo52

Geronimo52 New Member

I plan to follow the advice to delete the e-mail accounts and set them up again. However, I want to find my e-mail folders first. I have searched my Q and the Storage card and haven't found them. Can someone tell me where to look?

THANKS and Happy Holidays to members trying to help me!
  8. Drewc4444

Drewc4444 New Member

I have had this problem with my pc and the moto q and have had to change the outgoing port to 26. On the q when setting up your email where it asks you to to enter your outgoing server this is how you enter to specify 26 mail.k2designinc.com:26 I have of course used my server as an example.
    K2designinc.com
  9. sherri

sherri Active Member

Sending e-mails

I have been having the same problem. Also, the phone deletes all my e-mails randomly. I was on the phone with verizon for 3 hours this afternoon, did a couple of master re-sets, and keep having the same problem. I can receive the e-mails, but not send any of them. They just sit in the "outbox". Verizon has detemined that I need a new phone (this one is 6 months old!). They will be sending me one, but it will be a re-furbished one. Any suggestions? I really don't want a refurbished phone. I did what another poster said, about trying the "26", but that didn't help.
  10. lexicon

lexicon New Member

depending on your mail account you may need to log into the server to send as well as to receive. For example, Gmail requires you to log in to their smtp server to send mails and you will need to tick a box that enables logging in with same credentials. Take another look at the email settings and see if you have these options enabled.

Furthermore, you may only have set the server to download the last X days of mail - which would explain some of your mails getting erased. Or you have the mail service set to delete mails once they've been downloaded...either way from what you've been saying it could be a settings error as easily as it might be your hardware. Good luck and happy new year.
  11. sherri

sherri Active Member

Still not able to send mail...

I had been able to send mail all along. About 2 weeks ago, phone kept freezing. I was told to do a Master Reset. I did that. My text messages get sent, and I can receive e-mail. I just can't send it. I have deleted the accounts, and re-installed them, both with Motorola Phone Support, as well as Verizon phone support. Motorola told me to take phone to Verizon store for a system re-flash (???). When I got to store, they told me I had latest software. Determined I need a new phone??? Everything else works, just sending e-mail is not working. Is there any other suggestions?
  12. larsdennert

larsdennert Active Member

It may be that the outgoing server is restricting use to only certain ip's. For instance if you are trying to use your
    home dsl outgoing server on you Q and your dsl provider doesn't allow such things. Could also be a mirad of settings not set right too.
  13. sherri

sherri Active Member

E mail settings...

The address I'm using for incoming mail is: mail.optonline.net. I verified this with the cable company who provides the internet service. They also told me the use that address for the outgoing mail. When that didn't "send" the mail, I called Verizon, who is my phone service provider. They took me through all the settings, step-by-step. They suggested I try: smtp.vzwmail.net for the outgoing mail. Still nothing. That's when they said it sounds like a phone issue. They are sending me a new phone, which would be fine, but my phone is 6 months old, and I don't want a refurbished phone! :embarassed: Any other suggestions?
  14. lexicon

lexicon New Member

I'm assuming that your email account is not exchange and that it isn't an online service (hotmail,yahoo,gmail):

Are you selecting "outgoing server requires authentication"?
    Are you selecting "use the same name and password for sending e-mail"

Does your e-mail account require SSL?
  15. sherri

sherri Active Member

Not sending e-mail

I have tried it both ways. Cablevision (who my e-mail account is with) tells me that they do not require authentication. I have tried it both ways. No, they don't require SSL either, but again, I have tried it both ways.
    As far as I know, the e-mail account is not an exchange, nor is it an on-line service. I do have a Yahoo account, but that is not the one I am trying to use. I have an account with Optimumonline, which is a DSL account set up through the local cable company (Cablevision)

16. manhattan123

manhattan123 New Member

Email down?

Is anyone else having email issues today (Friday 1/4) on VZW? When I turned on my phone there was an email in my Inbox saying my automatic synchronization had been suspended and I would have to re-enter my user name and password, but nothing happened. And now I can't get on the wireless sync page on my desktop, it's a Error-404. And of course, I can't get a live customer serv. rep at VZW. I'm just afraid I'm going to lose all my contacts - oy! Can I save them through Active Sync?? (I don't use Outlook on my desktop.)
  17. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

nope no problem... are you using VZW mail ?
  18. manhattan123

manhattan123 New Member

Rudeboy, no I use gmail which is pushed through Outlook (I guess? not really sure of how that all works) to my Q. I finally got a CSR and she couldn't get on the VWZ sync web page on her desktop either and said the system is down for some people. She also said I could lose my contacts if they get deleted when it starts up again. Ugh.
  19. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

yea i use Gmail also (not pushed though)... and the sync page may be down but how would that delete your contacts ?.. to be sure you could copy the pim.vol from the Q's root to the pc or storage card. and or make a backup with Sprite...
  20. manhattan123

manhattan123 New Member

Thanks, that's the info i was looking for on how to save contacts. I have no idea if (or how) I would lose them, but the CSR got me worried when she said if the contacts are being synced and their system has crashed then she seemed to think I could lose them because I don't have them backed up on Outlook on my desktop.

I actually have two gmail accounts on my Q - my main addy is directly set up through Gmail and the secondary address I use is pushed through VZW and comes in through the Outlook line in the messenger section of the Q.