Can't overwrite read-only files on Windows Mobile 6.1

Discussion in 'Moto Q 9h' started by madmartian, Aug 23, 2008.

1. madmartian

madmartian New Member

Can't overwrite read-only files on Windows Mobile 6.1

This may be the same as on 6.0. I try to overwrite a read-only file (specifically CHome_320x240.cpr) on the q9h and I get the error:

"CHome_320x240.cpr could not be placed on the device. You do not have permission to create this item."

I already made the following registry change to enable overwriting and moving of Start Menu files:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Security\Policies\Policies\00001001
    Changed from 2 to 1

I also tried these two settings recommended elsewhere:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Security\Policies\Policies\0001005
    changed from 16 to 40

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Security\Policies\Policies\0001017
    changed from 252 to 144

No luck. I also can't change the read-only status or delete the file from the Q.

What else do I need to do?
  2. k_semler

k_semler New Member

Download EnableRAPI.zip (Enable Remote Application Programming Interface) from Microsoft, unzip it, and run the *.bat file with administrator privileges, (if using Vista). Leave the command prompt window open when editing the file contents of your MOTO Q9h. Close the command prompt window when done.

Enable RAPI Instructions
  3. madmartian

madmartian New Member

Security Policy 00001001 is the RAPI policy, as shown here:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms889564.aspx

I think this error from Resco Explorer may explain more when I try to delete the file:

"File \Windows\CHome_320x240.cpr is in ROM memory! You cannot delete it."

I don't know how folks are overwriting it.
  4. stasis

stasis New Member

I dont get why I cant copy most files from the windows directory, mostly all exe and dll get access denied when I try to copy to desktop. I want to extract icons in order to use them on the sliding panels. I tried the enable rapi and using Security Config Manager to totally disable security but still nothing...
  5. madmartian

madmartian New Member

By the way, I tried that EnableRAPI app and it didn't work. I think that's mainly for unlocking the registry and start menu, which I've already unlocked via the registry.
  6. madmartian

madmartian New Member

With Windows Explorer in Vista I got the Access Denied message. I also got this when running Total Commander in Vista. I was able to copy the file to the memory card and then use Resco Explorer on the device to MOVE the file. I got a warning that the file is in ROM and could be dangerous to overwrite, but I accepted the move anyway. Now the phone will not boot! I only added one line to the CPR file after the DATE line:

<Text ID="Day of Week" Left="65" Top="83" Width="110" Height="19" FontFamily="Segoe Condensed" FontSize="9" FontStyle="Bold" Wrap="False" HorizontalAlignment="Right" Trimming="EllipsisCharacter"></Text>

I did not remove anything. This alone would not kill the boot process. It appears replacing the file CHome_320x240.cpr in ROM killed the boot process (frozen on the "MobileOperator" screen). I tried removing and re-inserting the battery. I also tried Z E on - still freezes.

Questions:

1. Why did this happen?
    2. Can I fix this without reformatting the phone?
    3. How can I replace the cpr file without killing the phone?
  7. madmartian

madmartian New Member

Ok, well, I'm not entirely sure what happened, but after hard-reseting the phone again it worked this time. I determined there was a typo somewhere in the CHome_320x240.cpr file that killed the phone. I started over and got it working! Here's the thing - when Vista first tries to overwrite the file, indeed there is an "access denied" message. However, you can save the file somewhere else on the Q and then use Resco Explorer on the Q to MOVE the file. It will prompt you to overwrite and warn you that overwriting ROM could cause trouble, but it will work. From that point on when you want to update the file you can use Vista to overwrite it directly! Just watch out for syntax errors! I have now shortened the panels so I can see all status updates on the screen at the same time.