Can't End Calls

Discussion in 'Samsung Focus' started by Robin Sizemore, Jan 1, 2011.

1. Robin Sizemore

Robin Sizemore New Member

I just got a Samsung Focus, and for mobile handheld computing purposes, I love it. Unfortunately, I can't use it to make calls, because I can't end them. If I make a phone call, the screen goes blank as soon as I start the call. None of the buttons work, and the screen is completely unresponsive. If my intended caller answers, it's not really a problem, because they can end the call, but if not, I either end up leaving really, really long voicemail messages or listening to the phone ring ad nauseum.

As far as I can tell, this isn't something I'm doing. As soon as I try to start the call (pull up a contact and hit "Call mobile"), the screen goes blank and the phone is unresponsive until the call is ended. As soon as the call's over, I can hit the button on the side to reactivate the screen, unlock it, and the phone works fine again.

I see where this problem came up about a month ago, but the solution posted there (a complete reset to factory settings) doesn't seem to work for me.
  2. ninjaap

ninjaap Moderator

No amount of factory resets will cure it. So, I had to assume it was a hardware issue - a bad proximity sensor. It will only get worse over time. I had to exchange my Focus. I suggest you do the same.
  3. Robin Sizemore

Thanks. I guess it's not a widespread issue with every Focus, then? Did you get another one, or did you go for a different phone?
  4. ninjaap

ninjaap Moderator

It gave me an excuse to go with the Surround. I'm not sure how widespread it is, if it is at all. You're not the first Focus to have this problem, I have seen several others. And so far, it's all been Focus owners.
  5. Robin Sizemore

Well, crap. Thanks for the info. I hate to turn my back on Samsung - I've had a number of their phones, and this is the first real trouble I've ever had out of any of them (well, until they were pretty old, anyway).
  6. izzypizzy

izzypizzy Member

Never had that issue with our Focus's.
  7. ninjaap

ninjaap Moderator

If you really like the Focus, I would try another one first. Like I said, I've only seen a few others with this problem. I only went with the Surround, because, contrary to what the critics say, I really think the speakers, the kickstand, and the weight adds value.
  8. Ryan Murphy

Ryan Murphy New Member

I have the same problem with *some* calls, not all of the calls though. I've been able to get the screen back by hitting the power button however.
  9. Robin Sizemore

Unfortunately, that's not helped me. I was finally able to "fix" it temporarily by doing yet another restore to factory settings, but it's happened again (with another pair of factory resets "fixing" the issue). I'm planning to head back to the AT&T store as soon as it opens today. Thanks for your help and advice, everyone.
  10. ninjaap

ninjaap Moderator

Same thing happened to me. It was random, but at times it happened more consistently. I was never able to turn it back on with the power button, though. Only way I found was to put some pressure and swipe back and forth across the proximity sensor with a finger. Sometimes it'd work, other times the screen would just flicker.

Another problem could be screen protectors. Make sure the ones you have on doesn't cover the sensors at the top. Most have cutouts already, but some generic ones don't. This wasn't my case though, because I didn't have a screen protector.
  11. Ryan Murphy

Ryan Murphy New Member

Ah, that's what that thing is! Good to know. :)
  12. ninjaap

ninjaap Moderator

Yep. There are usually 2 or 3 sensors at the top. One is a light sensor that helps auto adjust screen brightness and the other one (sometimes two) is(are) the proximity sensor(s).