can't connect to 3g

Discussion in 'Moto Q 9h' started by method8, May 8, 2009.

1. kareljack

kareljack Active Member

I'm thinking SIM card issue as well. You may have to get another one. Does your current SIM say anything about 3G on it?
  2. method8

method8 New Member

I don't think I have GPS. I will definitely check my SIM and provider. I've had this one since 2001. Never used 3G on it. Thanks a bunch mate, you helped me a lot! Thanks!
  3. ninjaap

ninjaap Moderator

I can't tell from the picture but does the key underneath the "A" button have "fn" on it or is just a white block? Because that faceplate looks strikingly similar to the replacement faceplate I bought from cnn.cn.

Wait... what? Since 2001? How long has the Q9h been out? I realize it takes a while for models to reach the states, but that's like 8 years ago.

You can also try the moto website and try to see if there's an update for your software. I realize also, you are out of the warranty, but just try entering a more recent date when it asks you for purchase date. Hopefully you can download an update. Lot's of people have been having problems with the out of warranty issue, but I was somehow able to dl it myslef (even being few months out of warranty). I just recently updated my Q9h's software.

Good luck and please keep us posted.
  4. method8

method8 New Member

I've had my sim since 2001 not my mobile phone. The sim says nothing about 3G... probably I need to replace it. Underneath the A there's a white block not an FN button, does that mean anything important?

I went around the island today and just a couple of blocks away from home I could get the 3G sign in the title bar and I think that is positive :) However just like EDGE I got the same error message when connecting.

I will try updates and also will try to call on the carrier to see if I need to replace the card etc. They weren't too helpful on the phone, infact I called twice and was given two completely different versions of what I should do to get the 3G service. The first guy told me I had to do nothing, and the second one sent something to the device and asked me to restart it (just like they do with MMS activation)

Thanks again for your help and I will keep you posted!
  5. Q-Area51

Q-Area51 Guest

FWIW If you've had that SIM card since 2001 there wasn't 3g then, Just thinkin' :) -Q
  6. ninjaap

ninjaap Moderator

I have good news and bad news. I like to give the bad news first.

BAD
    You're phone is most likely NOT new. You have a faceplate that I have only seen sold on www.cnn.cn and ebay (I think). So I think they swithced out the faceplate to make it look new.

GOOD
    Your radio works, since you are able to pick up a 3G signal a couple blocks away from your house. It won't hurt to pick up a new sim card, but I doubt it will solve anything. The problem are the towers near your house; no 3G. You can't do anything about that except report it to your carrier and if they get enough complaints from customers in the same area they will update the towers near you; supply and demand.

The error about connecting is a totally different issue. Am I correct to assume you are getting this error when trying to connect using your browser? If so, sounds like you have a proxy or gprs problem. Does MMS work ok?
  7. chestvrg

chestvrg New Member

Sound like his access point, GPRS settings are not configured correctly. Ah & also, you need to update to WM6.1 using the USB driver method, since your Q9h maybe outta warranty.
  8. method8

method8 New Member

Hmm that's worrying!

I don't mind not being able to connect from home as I always have internet here at home.

I also think it can be a settings problem in fact I think I will just take the phone to one of the carrier's outlets so maybe they can set the 3G for me and change the SIM if need be.

As for 3G I don't think it's working either but saw some instructions on how to activate it on their website and will give it a try.

Thanks everyone!
  9. method8

method8 New Member

I setup the connection from their website and can now connect through EDGE. Will probably be able to connect through 3G if only I had reception in this area, will try and keep you posted.
  10. ninjaap

ninjaap Moderator

Hey good job! If it connects through edge, then you won't have a problem connecting through 3G. They use the same gprs/proxy settings. You are now only limited to the towers surrounding you.
  11. method8

method8 New Member

That's right and that doesn't bother me a bit cause I know there is reception at my work place. Thanks mate!
  12. ninjaap

ninjaap Moderator

You're welcome :smile:
  13. method8

method8 New Member

14. ninjaap

ninjaap Moderator

Do NOT update with that ROM. It is a North American ROM. you will lose your 3G capabiliies for sure. As mentioned earlier, NA ROM's uses a diferent frequency. You need to look for a European ROM.
  15. ParaCAD

ParaCAD New Member

Way to save the day!
  16. ninjaap

ninjaap Moderator

Yah like 3hrs later! Let's hope method didn' do the update.... =/
  17. method8

method8 New Member

No I didn't!!! Thank god I waited for the reply, you saved me mate! Cheers ;) 3G is working fine too :)
  18. ninjaap

ninjaap Moderator

19. method8

method8 New Member

That doesn't surprise me at all! Malta is a democratic republic with 400,000 people... no one bothers to provide support for so few:)
  20. ninjaap

ninjaap Moderator

Sad but true....