Cannot send email from Mobile 6.1

Discussion in 'Moto Q 9h' started by jl8472, Aug 6, 2008.

1. jl8472

jl8472 New Member

Cannot send email from Mobile 6.1

Hello everyone,

Starting Monday morning, I have not been able to send emails from a verizon.net and/or a cox.net email address. I downloaded the 6.1 upgrade the day it was posted, and had no immediate issues.

Weird thing is, if I delete the account, and re set it up, I can send for a couple hours before I get blocked again. Like something is watching or there is a limit on me.

The main account I use is a Verizon.net which is "partnered" with Yahoo! so the smtp settings are "outgoing.yahoo.verizon.net". Same way it has always been set up on my Q Global. I also tried the "cwmx.com" smtp settings for a while, and same thing. After a couple hours, they shut it down.

I don't want to downgrade my ROM! Some help please. And yes, I have searched, and searched, and searched,......
  2. mexiken

mexiken New Member

That sounds really weird. Haven't had that happen, or heard of it.

I was having email issues last night. But they cleared up after an hour or so. Probably network upgrades, it was pretty late after all.
  3. ninjaap

ninjaap Moderator

Are you just having problems sending an email? Can you receive email just fine? I sometimes can't send an email with an attached 'large' file through my yahoo account. But I was able to send that same attachment through my Gmail. Could be an email server issue... never did figure it out.
  4. George Knighton

George Knighton New Member

Just so that people know that this is a possible issue, I am reporting that my experience mirrors that of the original poster.

I noticed the issue with a GMail account, and there has been an item in the Outbox since yesterday.

No problems retrieving mail, no problems with synchronising on multiple computers.
  5. sigity

sigity New Member

I have always (WM6 and now WM6.1) been unable to send large mail (not attachments, but large email with many replies or many lines) via the email program.
  6. jl8472

jl8472 New Member

I have no problems receiving mail on any account. I thought perhaps it was a size issue but any email wont go out now. strangest thing....
  7. jl8472

jl8472 New Member

Problem fixed!!! Went back to 6.0.......
  8. bmb

bmb New Member

I have the same problem; could not send, but could still receive, on an IMAP account (no problems on my Exchange account on the same phone). If I delete the IMAP account and recreate it from scratch, I can send again, but only for a few days. Have done this twice so far. The problem started to happen after upgrading to 6.1.

Where can I get the 6.0 ROM, and what is the procedure for downgrading? Thanks for any help!
  9. George Knighton

George Knighton New Member

Having the same issue here now, too.

Luckily for me, it might be vital that I be able to read a mail in the field, but it's far less important that I reply to it immediately.
  10. braj

braj New Member

I'm having the same issue, and I have 2 gmail accounts on my phone, and one will work while the other won't. Freaking strange and I'm startingto regret getting a Q9h as all my coworkers with iPhones have no issues with mail. Grrr...
  11. bmb

bmb New Member

12. mtnmedic

mtnmedic New Member

i dont send too many emails, but i noticed about a week ago, an email i was trying to send just sat in the outbox. kinda a big problem for a "smartphone"
  13. sdbfood

sdbfood New Member

WM 6.1 and Microsoft Exchange 2007

Note that there is a known problem with WM 6.1 and certain configuirations of Exchange 2007. In this case, a message being sent gets hung up in the outbox of the phone. It looks like the message has not been sent but in reality a copy of the message is sent with every sync with the Exchange server. This continues until you go to the Outbox folder and manually remove the email in the outbox.

I never had this problem with WM 6.0. The problem started with the upgrade to 6.1 from 6.0. I sent my phone back to Motorola as their tech group said that they had a "fix" for the problem. After two weeks, the phone was returned with WM 6.1 still installed with the email issue unchanged.

I have seen on a Microsoft site that this problem is known and that a fix for Exchange Server 2007 will be published by the end of the year. I am not sure what those of us in this position are do do until the compatibility between certain configuirations of Exchange 2007 and WM 6.1 is resolved.

:frown:
  14. maheshmaestro

maheshmaestro New Member

From today morning am facing the same problem.. but the strange thing is am using WM6.0 and not 6.1.. So anyone has any solution for this problem for WM6.0... please help me !!
    thanks in advance
  15. jl8472

jl8472 New Member

Awesome link. That is exactly what is happening. The direct link to the guy dealing with Microsoft is http://www.tracyandmatt.co.uk/blogs/index.php/2008/09/18/windows-mobile-6-1-smtp-issues . He says he's waiting for a .cab file to fix it and will distribute it to anyone who asks. Late September was his last post on the issue.

Hopefully a fix comes soon cuz I'm sick of my smartphone being stupid.
  16. BoostedKnight

BoostedKnight New Member

Thanks for that link. That's actually the message I'm getting when trying to send mail through gmail on my Q. Didn't realize at first it was such a problematic issue with this many people.
  17. Xebec

Xebec Member

I must be lucky, I have not experienced this at all.
  18. jonluvslqc

jonluvslqc New Member

More info on WM 6.1 & Exchange 2007

Yeah, although not the exact same thing as the link to TamsWMS above, you can find out about the WM 6.1 and EXCH 2007 issue at
    http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsMobile/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=3790515&SiteID=65

In this case, the only fix is a patch applied to the Exchange 2007 Server which won't be released until the official patch in December. There is a beta, per the thread, but most IT depts will wait for the official one.

So, if you highly depend on Exchange 2007 DON'T upgrade to WM 6.1. It works, but it's a pain in the a$$. :angry: The only work around is to set ActiveSync to sync every hour or so. Then if you want to send an email compose it, send it, manually "Send/Receive", wait for Activesync to hang, then delete it from your Outbox.

You can manually sync your Inbox, calendar etc at anytime, but make sure your Outbox is EMPTY.

Because I need the cut/paste and the My Location working with Google Maps, I'm willing to deal with this for 2 months. Plus the slider screen is NICE. (I'm too lazy to try to go back to WM6.0 too.) :foot:
  19. mtnmedic

mtnmedic New Member

20. jl8472

jl8472 New Member