Cannot connect to PDANet

Discussion in 'Moto Q 9h' started by ClubberLang, Dec 6, 2007.

1. ClubberLang

ClubberLang New Member

Cannot connect to PDANet

Has anyone gotten this error? When I try to connect to PDANet, I get the "modem is busy, error 699 OR 703" message. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling on both my laptop and Q9h. My service is through AT&T. I got it to work on my first Q9h, but had to return that phone because it came with a crack on the camera lens shield. Help!:frown:
  2. WPG

WPG New Member

I havent used the PDA net since my treo 650, but you may want to check the com port PDA is using, it maybe being used by GPS or other software you have loaded. You may try to load PDA NET first then load other software one at a time to see which is taking over your port causing the modem to say busy. I think its a com port issue with laptop or Q.

You dont have to use PDA NET, plus its slower (Did speed tests) going thru a PROXY (PDANET). I have posted on using built in ICS.
  3. Marvelous Merv

Marvelous Merv New Member

I'm not sure what you/he means by this. PDAnet maxes out the thruput potential of whatever internet connectivity you have, same as your Q's built in browser. The tether option for my carrier (Verizon) is no faster.

That being said, I do agree that some other piece of software on your phone is engaging your modem. I'd do the following - make sure you have the latest version of PDAnet. Uninstall third party apps that pull internet content. Reinstall PDAnet. See if it works. If it STILL doesn't work my only suggestion would be to do a master reset of the Q then install PDAnet first thing to see if it works.

You might also check to see if you have two iterations of PDAnet installed, perhaps under different profiles. Make sure you have removed all traces of PDAnet on the desktop/laptop side and your Q before reinstalling the latest version. I could see (potentially) a situation where somehow your desktop was running an older PDAnet client than you had on your phone. Or vice versa. That'd screw up the works.
  4. WPG

WPG New Member

It means what it says, PDANET is slower than using the built in ICS on the phone, its a third party alp. It adds another hop, it takes time to process. Your phone (verizon) maybe setup different i cant speak to that, i dont have one, but i do have the phone listed in the header Q9H from ATT. I have done the test, ping times are slower and data speeds are slower. PDANET is an alp masking as a gateway, there for its a proxy.

If the laptop had a different version, it would give you a error message stating the version difference between the two. You could spend hours chasing down this or that, when starting over would be alot faster. Load PDANET first, check see if it works correctly, I'm going to guess, after doing this your not going to see the problem again, what ever did take over the com port is going to see pdanet now has priority.
  5. bobby-n

bobby-n New Member

make sure you end your internet explorer process on your q first
  6. baimo

baimo New Member

ics is quicker than pdanet. I have used both. it is also built in and easier to use.
    When I had a treo I needed pdanet. On this phone it is just an extra piece of software that is not needed.
  7. Marvelous Merv

Not needed for what? If you are a Verizon user and don't want to pay the monthly tether fee, PDAnet is your best/only option...based on this rambling "conversation" alot of people could be led in the WRONG direction - PDAnet is a great option for Verizon users who don't want to pay the monthly tether fee and want a close-to-broadband experience on their laptops by connecting with their Q and using their existing data plan.
  8. baimo

baimo New Member

WRONG. the ics solution is an application in your windows folder(just create a shortcut and place it in you Start menu directory) that you can use to tether just liike pdanet except it is free. Pdanet you need to buy.
    The data plans needed for pdanet or ics are exactly the same(which you realize are not approved by verizon).
  9. Marvelous Merv

Show us how...

Here are pages and pages of users trying to use a one-time hack, who can no longer make it work, or couldn't to begin with. It appears that ICS was a one-time functionality of WM5 that carriers effectively disabled.
    http://mobilitytoday.com/news/motorola_Q_dialup.html
  10. baimo

baimo New Member

Ok

The internet connection sharing app is in your Windows folder.
    It is "IntShrUI.exe" or the "internet sharing" shortcut.
    You can create a shortcut to it and place it in your Start menu so it will be easier to find.
    start the internet sharing app and hit connect.
    It is really easy to do. If you need more help please ask.

It works fine with both wm5 and wm6 on the q9h. i used it with my Q on verizon and use it now with my Q9h on ATT.
    The only wm6 device I know that has a problem with this is the BJ2
    It also charges over USB while you are connected to the internet. Great way to do it.

You need to be connected to the computer via usb
  11. DrQ

DrQ New Member

I know this thread was originally for the Q9H but now that this is said to work on WM5.0 and verizon, I thought I'd pipe in and ask about the Sprint Q. I cannot find IntShrUI.exe on my Q in windows or any directory. Is this only available on ATT and Verizon?
  12. baimo

baimo New Member

I have no idea about the sprint version. Sometimes you need to install a file manager other than the one that came with the phone in order to see all the files.I use IA file manager from iastyle.com/. It is possible that sprint eliminated the file completelty. I just dont know.

I do know it works on most wm5 amd wm6 devices and I have tried it on the verizon q the att BJ and the att q9h.
  13. mabmarc

mabmarc New Member

Yes, the file exists on the Sprint Q9c. You have to go into file manager and then click Menu -> Options and Uncheck "Hide System Files" then you will see it in the list.

Also, it is different than the program called "Internet Sharing" that is in the program list by default. I am unable to use the pre-loaded program because I don't have a tether plan. Seems sprint has some way to block it. But with the other program IntShrUI.exe I can use internet sharing with USB. It appears it only works with USB though. Would be nice if it worked with Bluetooth also.
  14. hcom

hcom New Member

i need help with this

i can't find the file mentioned below, if you have any sugestions, please feel free.by the way mine is a gsm q9h.