Cannot Access URL's from messages

Discussion in 'Motorola Q' started by krolla, Jan 15, 2008.

1. lexicon

lexicon New Member

you mentioned an error in your original post - what exactly is the nature of the error and is there a code or text that pops up? Can you include it in your next post so I can chase that lead down? Is the error from PIE or from Pocket Outlook? The reason that that is relevant is: if the error is coming from Pocket IE (PIE) then we will know that the links are working and in fact activating PIE to view the webpage, but you are unable to open the file due to a faulty connection setting. However, if the error is from Pocket Outlook we will need to look in another direction.
  2. krolla

krolla New Member

Here is the error:

ALERT
    Cant find 'http://www.google.com/' (or one of it's components). Make sure the path and filename are correct and that all the required libraries are available.

Error screen has the logo of the faded "!" sign with the red and blue circles in the background.

The title bar of the screen has 'http://www.google.com/' to the left of the battery meter

I see no indication of which app is generating this, and it's the same one i receive no matter if URL was inside a txt or email.

Hope this helps, thanks
  3. lexicon

lexicon New Member

ok that looks like its PIE - do me a favor and open your browser and surf to any page then try the link again. I'm not sure why its trying to find google or was that the link you tried to click? At least we know now that links do show up correctly (because apparently you can click them) and the right app is opening them PIE. so navigate to any page online and then try clicking a link from a message and tell us what happens.
  4. dcarroll23

dcarroll23 New Member

this may be obvious but there are different versions of say, gmail. if I go to the html version (using internet explorer) I can clik links in the email. I have a favorite that takes me to html gmail view directly. if I use text/email keys on the q my messages download as text without clickable links. I haven't seen any settings in q's email application that allows you to specify html versions of your email to be displayed. maybe this helps.
  5. mike250rs

mike250rs New Member

just out of curiosity, and to eliminate a variable....

in PIE connections .. is it set to auto detect and internet is selected below?
  6. krolla

krolla New Member

lexicon:

I tried you suggestion, I am able to navigate web fine. but i receive same error accessing url's. Yes, http://www.google.com was the url that I was trying to access

mike250rs:

Yes, I have auto-detect and Internet settings in PIE
  7. lexicon

lexicon New Member

Are you using Opera or operamini as your default browser? I know that once you click the link PIE might open up, but everyday surfing the net do you have opera as your default browser? Or have you done any PIE hacks?
  8. thomasshawn

thomasshawn New Member

I posted this same question a few weeks ago and really got nowhere. still same problem. PIE works by itself, but I cannot follow links from txt messages or email. had opera but deleted it when it was no longer free. wonder if some file association got messed up but short of reinstalling PIE (Which would be fine if I could find the file to allow me to do it.) I don't know how to fix it. searched registry, may have t do hard reset, but I really don't want to do that.
  9. thomasshawn

thomasshawn New Member

I can follow links to email, it's just html files. I'll see if I can post a picture.
  10. thomasshawn

thomasshawn New Member

Here's what I get

One is folling a link from email, one is from text message both are links to active urls.

Attached Files:

11. krolla

krolla New Member

I do not have any other browser installed, but now that u mention it, I may have installed and tried Opera or some other one long, long ago.. but ended up removing it. Very good question.. but again, links never worked from day i got q. But we can go down that path to troubleshoot if we need to.

I found the notes i took while hacking last year (good thing I wrote these!)

I did do the DNS hack to openDNS, but I now see that the DNS ips have been reset to Sprint default (?)

I also did the hack to make IE run as a full version and not mobile IE with values of Mozilla4, MSIE6.0 and Windows NT5 for certain keys. <- wonder if reversing these settings would help...
  12. krolla

krolla New Member

These errors are different than mine. mine makes no reference to any app, just states that the address cannot be found.. similar background image though.
  13. lexicon

lexicon New Member

opera was known to steal file asociations and try to be the default browser - trouble was it would either not launch correctly or was installed on the storage card that the app components couldn't be found. I remembered this haunting me for some time.
  14. krolla

krolla New Member

i see.. where do i find the file association values/settings?
  15. lexicon

lexicon New Member

The easiest way I can think to do this would be to re-install opera and then go into it's settings and tell it not to be the default browser and to stop checking. Once that's done see if this fixes your issues. If no, try rebooting then check again. If yes, uninstall opera and reboot and check again. I found this on another forum - people having similar issues as you:

http://www.4winmobile.com/forums/ppc-faq/5802-q-how-can-i-restore-pie-default-browser-under-wm5.html

here's another link:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/archive/index.php/t-325344.html

Good luck.
  16. thomasshawn

thomasshawn New Member

GOT IT!!!

I thought of the opera issue but since my version had expired reinstalling was not working. I had to activate opera, then tell it to become the default then everything worked again. expensive but it worked.

Shawn
  17. lexicon

lexicon New Member

great news! I hope this works for the other poster as well.
  18. krolla

krolla New Member

I'm checking my registry according to the forum you mentioned
    (http://www.4winmobile.com/forums/ppc...under-wm5.html)

I see many references to Opra in the locations mentioned.

I took a backup of my existing reg and are restoring defaults according to this post.

I will post the results.. Thanks!
  19. krolla

krolla New Member

IT WORKS !!!

I edited the reg entries, replacing the opra entries with the iexplore values as mentioned in that website and now my URL's work.

Thanks again lexicon and all others.. saved me from Hard reboot
  20. lexicon

lexicon New Member

great to hear!