Cannot Access URL's from messages

Discussion in 'Motorola Q' started by krolla, Jan 15, 2008.

1. krolla

krolla New Member

(SOLVED) Cannot Access URL's from messages

Should I be able to click on a URL or hyperlink inside of a text or email message and be routed to that webpage? I get an error each time i try this.

I am able to access the Web directly.

Thanks
  2. mike250rs

mike250rs New Member

it depends on the email account. Have you tried to copy & paste the url into PIE?
  3. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

and welcome aboard..
  4. krolla

krolla New Member

i have no copy/paste feature by default ( i would have to manually download and install this correct?)

again my question is.. SHOULD i have the ability to directly access these URLs from txt messages and emails from this phone OUT OF THE BOX.

I currently have gmail and my companies Outlook server configured on my Q. neither these or txt messages allow me to navigate to URL's..

I want to know if something is broken or is this the normal. I would think this is a function of the phone, not carrier or email account.

I have Sprint by the way.
  5. mike250rs

mike250rs New Member

i can with my Pcs mail account, but could not with my Yahoo IMAP account(when it worked). Think I could from a txt, but havent had one of those in ages.

Rudeboy has a nice copy & paste app(free) on his apps page
  6. krolla

krolla New Member

thanks..

the idiots at Sprint Customer Service in the "Advanced" tech support dept (which i had to wait 45 mins for them to answer) wanted me to hard reset my phone to see if it "solved the issue" after being on the phone with them troubleshooting for 1 hour.

at the end of the hour, I hung up on them when I ask them if the phone was SUPPOSED to be able to do this and they told me that they dont know....

so they wanted me to erase everything to try and find out... i must have a stupid sign on my forehead...
  7. mike250rs

mike250rs New Member

They are just following the flow chart in front of them. For a real kick, you can probably call back saying you did the Master Reset and still doesn't work. Then they will probably swap phones.

Had a few adv tech's that were good, others wouldn't know what a Q looked like untill you slaped 'em with one. :)
  8. lexicon

lexicon New Member

I can click through links (wm6 though).
  9. mike250rs

mike250rs New Member

the copy & paste app I mentioned earlier is a decent workaround once you get familiar with the app.

Also try changing email format to plain txt, it may help..or not
  10. dmxoneiuv

dmxoneiuv New Member

works for me

my motoQ allows me to click links from txt msgs...and just yesterday i sent a txt to a friend and started typing a url and it automatically turned it into a clickable link
  11. mike250rs

mike250rs New Member

well there you go, your (OP'S) Q hates you :)

A master restet may fix it, but only you know if it's worth rebuilding the phone. Takes me less than 10 min to do.
  12. lexicon

lexicon New Member

man people ae really keen on recommending hard resets around here. this is the 3rd thread I've been in where the 2nd solution is hard reset. try your settings. see if switching message formats helps. my mail is set up for html. when clicking the link does it open up pie?
  13. mike250rs

mike250rs New Member

I did mention switching email formats, meant the reset as a last resort and then only if the OP HAD to have clickable links in email
  14. krolla

krolla New Member

you mention switching email formats. I dont know of a way to switch formats on the phone, are you referring to the format used by the sender?

Let me know if i may have overlooked a setting or hack. I would love to be able to change the format while viewing msg's to html (or something that supports hyperlinks)

Thanks for everyone's suggestions. I should have spent my 2 hrs here instead of on the phone with cust-service =)
  15. lexicon

lexicon New Member

I'm on wm6 so may not help: in the inbox of the mail account you want to change go to MENU - TOOLS - OPTIONS - ACCOUNT SETTINGS. this will take you to the config wizard where you enter server details - keep hitting next till you get to the email format settings.
  16. krolla

krolla New Member

i should also mention that i did alot of customization to the phone many months ago.. The url's didnt work from the day I got it, so i doubt i did something to "break" it.

rebuilding would be painfull since i dont remember everything i did.. (though it would be a great excercise) I can reset if i had to, but unless I know for sure that the phone supports this feature I think it would be a dumb move.

I sounds like this is working for certain folks, not sure how my version or settings may be different
  17. mike250rs

mike250rs New Member

may be a setting either on your phone or the outgoing mail server..

agreed, not worth a master reset
  18. krolla

krolla New Member

i see no email format setting in Account options under WM5.

Anyone using WM5 and able to access url such as picture mail txt's from their Q?
  19. mike250rs

mike250rs New Member

just tried a picture mail txt, it works. Lemme ook thru the mail settings..
  20. mike250rs

mike250rs New Member

nope nada setting on the WM5 for switching email formats.