Can you force a Q to roam in the subway?

Discussion in 'Verizon Wireless' started by thirdrail, Feb 9, 2007.

1. thirdrail

thirdrail New Member

Can you force a Q to roam in the subway?

In Chicago, only U.S. Cellular (formerly PrimeCo, I believe) provides service in CTA subways. Chicago's entire subway system is covered for cell use and has been for many months now (although most of the rapid transit system here is elevated, covering the 25-or-so miles of subway tunnels and tubes is still impressive).

Anyway, Verizon Wireless doesn't have a roaming arrangement with them, it seems. I doubt it'd be beneficial to VZW, except maybe in this case. If I dialed 911, it would go through--but I can't make calls. Updating the PRL does nothing in this situation, of course. At the VZW store, they tell me I'm S-O-L, basically.

Since it is a compatible network, though, isn't there some way to make my phone roam onto it?

Some Sprint customers (with phones set to go to any available network) can use their phones in the subways here. It drives me crazy that I cannot. I just get "no service" on the phone, while people with CDMA phones standing next to me can text or chatter away.

Any thoughts?
  2. lopez096

lopez096 New Member

No agreement

As far as I know there is no roaming agreement other than the 911 calls between US Cellular and Verizon (or Sprint) in Chicago. This should not come as a surprise since Verizon is very heavy in Chicago, on a good note:

"A Verizon spokesman said the carrier is still evaluating expansion to the subway, and negotiations continue with the CTA. Sprint spokeswoman Stephanie Walsh said, "We have no plans to build our network out in the underground." "
    (http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qn4155/is_20060805/ai_n16663700)

This article was written in 08/2006 so if VZW is going to allow service in the subway, I don't think it will be long now. I hope they do it, I hate not having service on the blue line, or the red.