Can my Employer read Personal email on Q?

Discussion in 'Windows PC and Moto Q' started by Bonnieq9, Oct 17, 2007.

1. Bonnieq9

Bonnieq9 New Member

Can my Employer read Personal email on Q?

Hi-

I recently joined a company that encouraged me to buy a Smartphone so I could get company emails at all times (I got the q9m from Verizon). When the company tech guy set it up to sync with the server he mentioned how he is set up to remotely fix things on my company laptop and if there was a problem he'd be able to see my desktop, settings etc.

That's good, it's their pc. Once I got into the Q I have enjoyed reading company email and decided to add some personal accounts to the Q. Works great! Now that I have personal email pushing in (with no password req'd), could my employer read everything that is syc'd to the Q??? Do personal email accounts also go through their server? I"ve been warned by coworkers to not send any derogotory or real personal stuff via the company email, because they frequently look at it.

I don't mind them looking at work stuff but it would be pretty scary if they could access the non-work accounts (like aol, gmail etc) email going to the Q9m. What do you think??????????

In case you need to know, I'm using XP.

Thanks,
    Very new at this, Bonnieq9
  2. craiggiarc

craiggiarc Active Member

I'm no expert but I think the only time that they would potentially be able to read your personal emails is if you sent them while your Q was connected to your laptop. When this happens the Q uses their network to send the email so potentially they'd be able to capture the content. So as long as you only send them when disconnected from the company network you should be OK.

As I say though, I'm not an expert so will bow to anyone else's superior knowledge!

Craig
  3. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

what is pushing the e-mail to your Q ? your companies server ?
  4. Bonnieq9

Bonnieq9 New Member

Pushing email

I know the company tech guy said the work email was pushed.. I never have to plug in to sync info. It's pretty instantaneous. Personal email is quick too. Not sure how that happens. The company had some layoffs and the tech guy is gone, so I can't ask him.

I thought the pushing was just part of the q9m, like it had been on a Blackberry Curve I had for a short time.

Thanks Bonnie
  5. Pony99CA

Pony99CA Active Member

Mail Servers

Unless you've configured your personal mail servers to forward to the company's server, they shouldn't be able to read your E-mail. If you configured a POP 3, IMAP or Hotmail account in the Messaging program, those probably aren't going through your company's mail servers (unless that's how you configured them for some reason).

Push is only supported in the Messaging program for the Outlook E-mail account, and then only if you're using an Exchange Server that allows push.

Steve
  6. smiller2076

smiller2076 New Member

If you are syncing your personal e-mail on the company laptop, yes, they can read it. I would recommend putting personal e-mails in a different folder and not selecting it to sync to the laptop. Just remember everything on that computer is accessible to your IT deparment!