Can I "reverse tether" via bluetooth?

Discussion in 'Moto Q 9c' started by derspiess, Feb 9, 2010.

1. derspiess

derspiess New Member

Can I "reverse tether" via bluetooth?

A few months ago I moved on to an HTC Hero, but I could never bring myself to get rid of my Q9c. In fact, I would like to use it around the house for email. I don't have one of those mini-SD wifi adapters & would rather not spend the ~$45 on one, so I'm trying to get it to connect to one of my Win7 PCs via bluetooth (done) and do a "reverse tether" in which the PC is sharing its data connection (ethernet --> internet) with the Q9c via the bluetooth connection. I could swear I was able to get this to work a while back with an XP machine, and I know my old, old Treo 650 was able to do this. But I just can't get the Q9c to use the bluetooth connection with the PC for data.

I have a USB bluetooth dongle on the PC & it is running. I downloaded Windows Mobile Device Center & set that up with my Q9c connected via USB, and was then able to get the Q9c paired to the PC as "Personal Network" under the Q9c's WinMo 6.1 Bluetooth menu.

I can't find a menu setting anywhere that tells the phone to use the Bluetooth for data. I have PCS Vision disabled since I don't have Sprint data or phone services set up with the Q9c any more.

Can anyone tell me what I'm missing? Or can this even be done?

TIA
  2. Starfox

Starfox New Member

You can, but you need to do a few registry edits. If you are comfortable with that, I'll send you the .reg file I use to get net access over PAN.

I'd post the link to it in my blog, but I need to write about the client part...
  3. bberryhill0

bberryhill0 Active Member

Can you post the reg edits here? That would be great for those of us with decommissioned Qs that we just can't throw away.
  4. Starfox

Starfox New Member

5. chris

chris Administrator Staff Member

Wanted to thank you for both the informative post and the comments about the site. Very much appreciated.
  6. derspiess

derspiess New Member