Can AEConfig assist with this?

Discussion in 'Moto Q Hacks' started by blaidan, Oct 30, 2007.

1. blaidan

blaidan New Member

Can AEConfig assist with this?

I think it probably can but just wanted verification before I DL it.

I'm just trying to cleanup my Start Menu by either removing or moving to another folder the links for unused links in my Start Menu. As of now, when I try to move/delete a .lnk file (for example, "Get On Demand.lnk") I get a "Error - Failed, Permission denied!" message.

Will using AEConfig allow me to move/delete these links? Thanks.
  2. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

i have never used AEConfig and i think if you change the file attribute (Properties) on the file you should be able to move and/or delete it.
  3. blaidan

blaidan New Member

Here's something odd. When I attach the phone to the laptop and use the Explorer in ActiveSync to browse the phone I am unable to move or delete these .lnk files because it throws out a message about them being part of ROM and me not having access. I am also unable to change the file attributes as this was the first thing i tried when I got the denied message.

However, when I go to move the .lnk files to another folder through the File Manager on the Q directly I am able to move them without incident. I cannot, however, delete them because it still tells me that permission is denied. That's alright as I should probably not be deleting them anyway in case I need them for anything at a later time.

Wonder why I cannot perform any action on these files via ActiveSync's Explorer.
  4. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

that is just the way it is, you will also find out that you can not view files (for example images), there is way however by using WM5torage which "turns" your Q into a flash/jump-drive. (ps when you use it you can't sync, obviously)
  5. blaidan

blaidan New Member

Yeah, I did know that you can't view a file (text, xml, image) directly from the phone. Not being able to move certain things though is a pain. The Start Menu has ALOT of junk in it that I just can't stand sifting through. thankfully I was able to move the links from the Q directly.
  6. smiller2076

smiller2076 New Member

If I want to view an image, I just copy it from my Q to My Pics or wherever and it views just fine. That disclaimer for the WM5torage scared me so I'm not going anywhere near it :(

Sent from my Q
  7. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

i have got in on my Q for a while now... don't use it much but nothing bad has happened, they -developers- must just cover their butts in the sue happy us of a :}