Camera produces White dot eyes and major bluriness /horrible pics

Discussion in 'Windows Phone 7' started by Ric Hatermann, Mar 20, 2011.

1. Ric Hatermann

Ric Hatermann New Member

I'm extremely disappointed with the Samsung Focus phone. The main reason that I bought it was because of the camera and what I'm finding is that so far with the current settings the camera is horrible. I went to a party last night and took 30 pictures and out of the 30 pictures 28 were so blurry that you couldn't tell who the actual person was? Out of those 28 pictures 25 of them had "raccoon" eyes or just bleached out white dots on their eye balls. This was very embarrasing as I raved about my new Windows Phone and I was getting laughed at when I showed them all the pictures in the viewer. I've heard that the blurriness is due to the anti-shaking feature ( which will not save when switched to on ) I switched it 12 times only to realize that it was going to keep reverting back to "off" I just can't understand the white eyes. Is this something to do with the flash? Is there 3 settings for flash or only two? I feel that when I use flash that it gives the picture great brightness but if it's causing the white dot eyes, I'm not interested. Is there a 3rd setting such as "auto flash" Please advise as I'm about ready to throw this phone as far away as I can and never purchase anything phone related from Microsoft again. Rich H
  2. RandomAlec

RandomAlec Member

Sorry that you had such an unfortunate result using your Samsung Focus to take pictures. From my personal experience here is what I can tell you:
    • There are three camera settings for flash: On, Off, and Auto which you can see when you hit the three "..." on the bottom of the camera display
    • For optimal pictures (which yes, unfortunately the settings do not save each time you close and re-open the camera) try these settings: Contrast - High, Saturation - High, Sharpness - High, ISO 50 (can be changed based on preference), Wide Dynamic Range On, Anti-Shaking On
    • The camera does rely heavily on the auto-focus which is activated through the same two stage hardware button that you use to access the camera. Try it out a few times, press the camera button halfway once you have the camera open and you will see it auto focusing, it will beep when the picture is ready and then just fully press and done
    Here are some pictures I took on a trip recently with the above settings and tips (click to enlarge):

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
  3. Ric Hatermann

Ric Hatermann New Member

RandomAlec,

This is very helpful information. It's exactly what I was looking for as what you're saying makes total sense. Do you know if Microsoft plans to fix the "save settings" option anytime soon? I would love to be able to change my settings to these proper preferences and have the peace of mind of knowing that the changes are permanent. Thanks again for your advice. Rich H
  4. jab119

jab119 Member

From what I understand, this is how they designed the camera settings to work. They return to factory default each time you open up the camera.

James
  5. termleech

termleech Member

Yea there reasoning for the defaulting is they thought people would want the defaults when they hit the camera so as to take as fast a picture as possible. They have said they will investigate changing it but as of now I dont know if they have any plans. An option to save for default would be the best fix. Then people can decide on their own. I've found myself using Thumba after every picture I take to clean up the picture. It does and amazing job of making the pictures look like they should look when the camera takes them.
  6. Sb.

Sb. Member

True the pics are horrid to say the least. Without the anti shake setting forget taking something half decent. I had an i900 previously which took very good photos and I was upset that I bought an Olympus u1040 to take quick photos cos the omnia was just as good and I didn't need to take the camera with me anymore, well back to carrying the camera around cos the focus is crap unless you get the settings right and hold it against something for stability and then you have to take a fair few photos so you can pick the best ones. I was also hoping that this would be rectified in the NoDo update, but..............maybe Mango:p.
  7. termleech

termleech Member

Ita likely not a fix that can be applied in software for the pictures. Likely the sensor sucks so until a phone upgrade the pictures will continue to suck.
  8. Sb.

Sb. Member

I hope that they can at least make it save your own settings, I'll settle for that if what you've said is true regarding the sensors but I hope I don't have to wait until the end of the year for it.