ByPass DNS Servers Completely!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Moto Q Hacks' started by casey2392, Aug 26, 2007.

1. casey2392

casey2392 New Member

ByPass DNS Servers Completely!!!!!!

This Hack Is what you have been waiting for no more trying to get the ie speed hack to stick. This hack will let you send and receive calls while on the internet while also increasing your speed 20 fold!!!! i encourage you to backup your registry just in case you mess up.

Using a Registry Editor
    DELETE!!!!!!! this registry key: HKEY\Comm\Cellular Line\Parms\TcpIp\DNS

after this your phone will be completely internet unlocked!!!!!!
  2. n99hockey

n99hockey Moderator Staff Member

can anyone else confirm this?
  3. casey2392

casey2392 New Member

Just Cracked

I Justed Cracked this 10 Minutes ago!!! Works Wonders!!!!!
  4. alassane

alassane New Member

Dns Hack

How can this work !!!! What will resolve the names to ip without DNS ?
    Please explain.
  5. Pony99CA

Pony99CA Active Member

Shenanigans!

Yeah, you have to wonder, especially when he couldn't even get the key name right. (It's HKEY_Local_Machine\Comm\Cellular Line\Parms\TcpIp, not HKEY\Comm\Cellular Line\Parms\TcpIp, and the value is DNS.)

Also, never delete something from the registry until you're sure what it does. Just rename the value (I used DNSx.)

And what's up with the Shouting and the overuse of exclamation points!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!?????????????

Anyway, I just tried this (by renaming the value as above). After I reset my Q, I browsed to a Web site. It did seem faster, but that could be because I was doing this at 3:10 AM -- not exactly your hot time for EV-DO access.

However, after I did that, I went back into the registry editor, and guess what I saw? The DNS value was back and contained the exact same IP addresses as it did before. (If it matters, I'm on Verizon.)

I'm calling shenanigans. :laugh2:

Steve
  6. winotree

winotree New Member

If it sounds too good to be true...

Thank you, sir. I thought the same thing last nite and was also put off by the "used-car" sales pitch approach. Reminds me of the scene in The Wizard of Oz when Dorothy and her companions have returned to Oz with the witch's broomstick. Toto pulls at the curtains and we all hear (the Great and Powerful Oz) utter those immortal words: "Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain!"

I am not denying that this person found perceptual changes--we always find exactly what we are looking for--but perhaps it was age that cautioned me more than anything else. Once your mustache has turned white, you tend not to get too excited all at once! And don't take that out of context! :Har-Har-Har:

Let's wait and see before we go and potentially bugger our fones.
  7. adolan

adolan New Member

no effect

I didn't delete it and just renamed it. When my Q was rebooted, it made a new entry named DNS with the same sever entries. Oh and I'm on Sprint.
  8. locovato

locovato New Member

so deleting what register allow you to do what does this actually work?
  9. n99hockey

n99hockey Moderator Staff Member

read the first post it tells you what to delete!
  10. Pony99CA

Pony99CA Active Member

It Won't Work

I'm not sure what you're asking. I think adolan was just confirming my post that registry key just gets created again with the exact same information, so the hack doesn't work.

I find it interesting that casey2392 hasn't come back to defend his hack (and hasn't even posted in the forums again).

Steve
  11. IH82LUZ

IH82LUZ New Member

You'd be much better off setting the DNS servers to OpenDNS instead of deleteing that key. OpenDNS responds way faster than the carriers DNS servers. Here's what I put and it dramatically increased my browser load times:

Under "HKLM\Comm\Cellular Line\Parms\TcpIp" I edited the key DNS and put in 208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220 on seperate lines.

Rob
  12. PacoJr67

PacoJr67 Active Member

yes, the open DNS hack is well documented (although I didn't notice much of a difference and it reset after a reboot anyway) in the hacks sticky.

*and this thread is a year old*....