built in projectors - really?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Distant, Jan 28, 2010.

1. Distant

Distant New Member

built in projectors - really?

I'm sure many of you have seen the built in projectors on some of the new smart phones.

I really can't believe the commercials they are putting out. The quality on these things seem overly incredible..

I had the chance to see one in person a few days ago and i am overwhelmingly unimpressed. I can't believe LG is trying to charge 180 bucks extra on their built in pocket projector.

however, the idea is amazing. When do you think they will come up with a decent one based on the phone? I personally can't see it growing to where a decent projector phone will exist. The reason? They would suck your battery dry in minutes. Anyone have thoughts on this?

I personally have an aaxa pocket projector I use for small office meetings. Just ordered my htc cable to have it connect to my phone.

anyways, thoughts on this type of phone technology? It is kinda neat to think that phone manufacturers are starting to upgrade physical things on the phone other than a camera.
  2. n99hockey

n99hockey Moderator Staff Member

which phone has a built in projector?
    the only phone i hear about a projector is the LG
  3. Boredpianoman

Boredpianoman New Member

4. Distant

Distant New Member

weird. I could have sworn there was another one i've seen that wasn't produced by LG. I THINK it was a smaller company ...

I just remember reading somewhere that there was a company selling on skysomething (skynet?). It was a non-3g projector phone. hmm. lemme see if I can find it.
  5. Distant

Distant New Member

6. n99hockey

n99hockey Moderator Staff Member

has some nice features but pretty useless as a phone, no 3G
  7. mike250rs

mike250rs New Member

battery technology will have to get much better before this takes off. You might get what 5-10 using it. I would preffer a stand alone that worked with pc/smartphone and not a projector that made crappy calls.
  8. Boredpianoman

Boredpianoman New Member

Now that makes more sense. Why not just make a somewhat standard stand-alone, that can be used in WM 6.x and 7.x on all phones? Oh and on another note, why do people have to be business customers to purchase LG's phone?
  9. Distant

Distant New Member

i'm actually looking at a standalone projector currently. there are a bunch of pico projectors on the market that are powered by their own battery but the brightness levels are a bit lacking - as with the projectors that are on phones because of battery consumption.

It looks like battery technology is the thing that limits these things from being useful for phones.

From what I can tell, if a phone can support video out, it can support a standalone LED projector.
  10. Distant

Distant New Member

11. cbusguy23

cbusguy23 New Member

Samsung i8520 Android phone looks pretty badass! I think these projectors look pretty awesome and I'm looking forward to improvements. Only downside I can see is them being battery drainers.
  12. scoop3

scoop3 New Member

I must say that now and then I get overwhelmed with all the new features and stuff that they put on windows mobile pda, mobile phones, etc...I quite like my devices simple and am naturally suspicious of the phrase "all singing, all dancing".

Don't get me wrong, though the projectors look cool! :dft012:wink
  13. Peregrine

Peregrine Member

Projectors, schmojectors. Can't we get to projecting holographic images yet? It is the 21st century, afterall. ;)
  14. trown

trown New Member

Ya the one's in phones do suck. There's no way they can put enough power in to get them to do anything for a long time. I went with the L1 from aaxa to go with my phone. It's seriously smaller than my phone and super easy to carry around. Works with lots of phones from what I hear (http://www.aaxatech.com/products/l1_laser_pico_projector.htm). Works with lots of other phones from what I understand.

[​IMG]
  15. SSung

SSung New Member

I guess we'll have to wait a while longer until one of these laser projectors to get small enough to be put into the phone itself (like digital cameras/camcorders are now pretty much in all phones). I wonder who will be first to come out with something with at least 25 lumen to make it usable with some ambient light around... I got my money on Samsung :D

BTW, found a good review of the L1 at ProjectorCentral... 4.5 out of 5 stars!

AAXA L1 SVGA Laser Pico Projector Review