Built in Internet connection sharing

Discussion in 'Moto Q 9c' started by thebixcuit, Jun 10, 2008.

1. mecdatlanta

mecdatlanta New Member

Thanks for the instruction -- almost there!

Thanks for these great instructions. My problem is I am trying to use my phone with a laptop (running XP) that is not the computer that I usually sync with. Do I need Activesync loaded on this pc also? Finally, I don't have the Activesync CD with me. If anyone knows where I can download the application, I would be much obliged (that is, if I even need to install Activesync).

Thanks in advance!

mecdatlanta
  2. sherri

sherri Active Member

You need Active sync on the pc you want to sync with. Download it directly from Microsoft.com
  3. softspirits

softspirits Guest

Wow that is so cool, my husband and I just did it, Wireless Sharing is in our Start menu already, and it worked like a charm using the Bluetooth PAN. Easy Easy! We are on SPRINT and I have 6.1. That is so awesome, i am going to really enjoy car trips much more now!
  4. bigkev890

bigkev890 New Member

Fyi

To help clear up the phone bill charges: Im with sprint... have been using internet sharing with my laptop at work for the past 6 months for almost an entire 8hr shift 6 days a week. Have been listening to internet radio, watching movies and doing everything I would do at home. Im on the simply everything plan, and have had no additional charges on my bill. And tonight, the internet went down, called tech support for sprint, explained my situation not leaving out that I was connecting to my laptop, and they simply reset my internet and never mentioned anything about any extra charges. So it appears you guys are correct that the billing system sees it as coming from your phone. Although my data usage has to be way more than you could possibly do on the phone, but so far so good, no extra charges. This is awesome!!!!
  5. whittw

whittw New Member

What is the data useage on your bill if you don't mind me asking?
  6. fr4nk1yn

fr4nk1yn New Member

I'm intersted as well.
    I did 1.5gb with my phone. There's probably a magic number that gets's there attention.
  7. bigkev890

bigkev890 New Member

I did 5.6gb since Sept 4, and also had an 8 day vacation this month so that was 8 days with no data usage on the phone.

But when i told the technician last night what I needed the internet for, she never said anything about not being allowed to hook the phone to my laptop or any extra charges.
  8. softspirits

softspirits Guest

I can't imagine that they would put it out there without expecting people to use it to its maximum capabilities. I have never seen a rule on limiting data usage. Unlimited data means UNLIMITED DATA.
  9. fr4nk1yn

fr4nk1yn New Member

Thanks.

5.6!!! Wow!

That says Sprint doesn't have the 5gb imit Verizon has.
    I don't tether but was worried about when and if they'd charge for "excessive" usage.
  10. fr4nk1yn

fr4nk1yn New Member

There was a discussion in the Verizon subforum.
    Unlimited Verizon isn't unlimited if what they said was correct.
  11. bigkev890

bigkev890 New Member

yup

Thats what I figured, but then got scared to call them the other night when I had the internet problems, but I had to. I sit at a bridge all night and watch traffic drive by looking for overweights, and am not able to get a wireless signal at any of our bridges, so this is my only source of entertainment
  12. larsdennert

larsdennert Active Member

If you have the Sprint everything plan it probably includes tethering. VZW has two "unlimited" plans; neither of which is unlimited. $29.99 5gig cap, no vzw wireless sync or tethering and $44.99 10gig cap with vzw sync and tethering.

I can't comment if you will get charged on the $29.99 plan if you use tethering. You don't when using pdanet. Maybe I'll get brave and try...