Built in Internet connection sharing

Discussion in 'Moto Q 9c' started by thebixcuit, Jun 10, 2008.

1. BillyB187

BillyB187 New Member

that makes two of us. and just to clarify, can sprint see this as tethering and will we get billed or not? thanks a bunch!
  2. krazydawg

krazydawg New Member

I also see the same option. sprint network or cellular.
  3. sulster

sulster Active Member

Hm. I note that the OP was on Verizon, so maybe he doesn't know?
  4. pgreenbe305

pgreenbe305 New Member

I'm on VZW, and wanted to make a note that the interface for the "tethering" connection is different than that of the method discussed in this thread.

On a side subject, can someone explain to me why I can't connect to another Q that doesn't have data, and allow them access to my broadband connection when connected via Bluetooth PAN? I did the same steps that I had done to connect BT PAN to my computer, but instead of selecting my computer- I connected to another Q (both Q's showed PAN. For some reason, it won't let me access the internet the way it allows my laptop to. Any ideas or insight on the technical side would be great!
  5. pgreenbe305

pgreenbe305 New Member

bump- I think the question has to have an answer.
  6. Cheddarhead

Cheddarhead New Member

I dont have a ICS link in the windows folder??
  7. pgreenbe305

pgreenbe305 New Member

you need to go to your file explorer and in the options, check off to hide hidden and system files.
  8. sulster

sulster Active Member

any clue on why this only gets me to 'local' not internet on Verizon?
  9. NorcrossFlyer

NorcrossFlyer New Member

I was looking at this last night. The "internetconnectionsharing" link in the \Windows directory is a link that points to the same EXE as the link that is set up in your Start Menu............which is the way Sprint would want you to connect.

I would be very wary of using this method in the hopes of avoiding detection.

That being said.........I downloaded PDANet. Very simple to set up and it works pretty good. I'll give it a workout this weekend and if all goes well I'll buy a license.
  10. pkowilich

pkowilich New Member

i actually got this working on the sprint network a few days ago with my laptop. i had to use the usb cable, but it was working and fast, almost 1.5mb down and 250 up, according to speedtest.net. today however, after doing a master reset on my phone yesterday, it doesnt seem to want to connect. i'll fiddle with it a bit more and see what i find out. as for charges, have not seen any one the website yet.
  11. MidnightHacker

MidnightHacker New Member

Just to try and clear up some confusion.

I'm using Internet Sharing successfully on a Sprint Q9c with Windows Mobile 6.1 (6.0 worked for me as well). When using the Internet Sharing application, the network I'm connecting to is Sprint. There is no broadband option. You are simply connecting to Sprint and sharing that internet connection using the Internet Sharing application that Microsoft built into Windows Mobile. After hitting connect, it says waiting for network. At that point I go to my client machine and say Join Personal Area Network (I'm using Bluetooth). I dismiss the phones connection dialog. That's all I do to establish the connection. If it's not working, I would recommend going back the original executable in the Windows directory, and creating a shortcut to the program. Then copy that shortcut wherever you want it. Don't copy the original .exe file. That may be why it's not working correctly. Also, on my Q9c the shortcut was already in the start menu. I did not need to create it. My friend has a Verizon Q9m, and he had to create the shortcut. The Internet Sharing application works for him as well, but he pays for tethering, so that may be why.

Hope this helps!
  12. MidnightHacker

MidnightHacker New Member

Internet Sharing Via Bluetooth

Just another piece of the puzzle for anyone who is interested... I have a friend who just got a Moto Q9c from Sprint. When I went to set up Internet Sharing on his phone, it would connect to the bluetooth PAN fine, but could not get out to the internet. Using USB instead of bluetooth, Internet Sharing worked fine... His phone still had Windows Mobile 6.0, and since there was not much data on it yet, I upgraded it to 6.1 (choosing to preserve settings during the upgrade). The upgrade went fine, but Internet Sharing still would not allow the connected device to get out to the internet via bluetooth. Finally, I did a master reset and bam, Internet Sharing worked using bluetooth!

If you cannot get Internet Sharing to work, this may do the trick for you. Again, I was able to share the internet using USB with his phone all along, so try this first before spending too much time banging your head trying to get bluetooth Internet Sharing working. If it works using USB for you already, chances are this may get it working using bluetooth as well. Perhaps doing a full backup with Sprite Backup would help minimize the pain of having to reinstall and reload all your apps and data, should a master reset be necessary.
  13. monkey050

monkey050 New Member

(Sorry to bump this, but I searched! :D )

I think I managed to do this properly but I notice the data transfer icon showing up in the signal area. Is this normal or does it signify that it's actually establishing a data connection to the cell tower? (I'm on VZW.)

I also noticed that when I went to the radio options (which ones to turn off) the Phone one said Express Network when I had that selected.

Maybe I'll just stick with using USB for the internet when I need it.
  14. leonelgalan

leonelgalan New Member

I can Sync using Bluetooth and on "Bluetooth Manager"\"Personal Network" I'm able to add my laptop and create a PAN. Which Windows Vista recognize as an "Unidentified Network". Setting the IP manually leaves the network as unidentified. The same happens when the network is created from Vista.

I don't know if that is the problem; but, on Internet Sharing's PC Connection the only option I have is USB. And i'm not even able to test Internet sharing over Bluetooth.

Thanks for your help.

B.T.W My phone is Q9H in Latin America.
  15. johnbrain

johnbrain New Member

Worked great first time on VZW. And it's definitely FAST. I did have to unhide the hidden files to locate the link but after that, no problem.

16. JMak

JMak New Member

This was too easy. I went to Programs\Internet Connection Sharing and selected it. I selected USB and Sprint Network and pressed Connect. My laptop immediately recognized the internet sharing device. I disabled my wireless connection. Opened IE and boom I'm on the web. In fact, I am posting this post using the ICS.

SpeedTest clocked it at just over 1mb/sec dl speed.

Edit: while connected ActiveSync was disabled.
  17. land_shark3

land_shark3 New Member

Ok, I've been looking through and everyone seems to be discussing Verizon and Sprint. I have the Q9c from Alltel and I'm having trouble.

When I connect the phone to my computer, I am prompted to install the Motorola USB Remote NDIS Network driver. Any idea where I can find this driver?
  18. berger1980

berger1980 New Member

It should install automatically if you're on XP, not sure about other os's.
  19. fr4nk1yn

fr4nk1yn New Member

I haven't gone throught the entire thread.
    I was having some major "DNS" problems yesterday at work so I gave this a try. Easy enough the set up for the "Sprint Network", it would't connect using "cellular", but the speeds were horrible unless comparing to dial up /=
    I only got 480Mb/s (less than 40kb/s) on a speed test.
    I guess it might be ok if I'm in the middle of nowhere and need to, uh..., do something my Q could do(?) and there was no Wi-Fi to borrow.
  20. rwg711

rwg711 New Member

All of the neccessary drivers should be included in ActiveSync. If you have not installed Activesync I would recommend that be your next step.

Once installed it should find them automatically if not just direct the installer to the following location.

"C:\Program Files\Microsoft ActiveSync\Drivers"

Good Luck!