Built in Internet connection sharing

Discussion in 'Moto Q 9c' started by thebixcuit, Jun 10, 2008.

1. thebixcuit

thebixcuit New Member

Built in Internet connection sharing

For those of you who haven't bought PDANet yet, I just found that WM6 has built in internet connection sharing. Unfortunately I bought PDANet for my old Q, but looking to help out where I can.

Browse to the \windows folder and find the Internet Connection Sharing link. I copied this link to \Windows\Start Menu for easy access. When you run it you can select USB or Bluetooth PAN for the PC Connection and Broadband or Express Network for the Network connection.

I'm using Verizon and I just tested the USB connection. I just made this post with it.
  2. sulster

sulster Active Member

Bix:
    I am concerned that this will cause Verizon to add the tethering/extortion fee onto my bill... What are your thoughts on that?
  3. thebixcuit

thebixcuit New Member

If it's anything like WindowsXP ICS it's acting as a NAT router and not a dial-up modem. It gave me a 169. address when i connected which was in the same subnet as the RNDIS connector on the phone. whatismyip.com shows a 75. address. RNDIS is how PDANet connects but you get the address directly to your PC.

I don't pay for tethering and it let me connect. Guess we'll find out next bill cycle.
  4. sulster

sulster Active Member

Thanks for the reply. IIRC, when I WAS paying Verizon for the tethering, I used a built in app on the Q--I did have to install a separate program/connection on my laptop, though. please update and let us know if you get billed b/c the less stuff i have installed the better! :)
  5. cokopop

cokopop New Member

since u all are Verizon don't know where i'd fit in but i posted this a couple of weeks ago that i was able to connect w/o the tethering plan..i'm with Sprint..i've been using it for almost a month now and have not seen any changes reflected in my bill..i connect under the celluar option(not sure if this even makes a difference), but for some reason i think they just read it as my unlimited usage overall..i have an online converter so it let's me know the range of my usage so i don't stay on too long..any thoughts from Sprint users? am i the only one who has been able to get a connection?
  6. thebixcuit

thebixcuit New Member

That's the way i see it too. Using the ICS Bluetooth PAN connection right now. I have serious doubts I'll be billed using ICS vs. PDANet, but I'll post if I do!
  7. thebixcuit

thebixcuit New Member

Clarification on instructions.

1. Browse to the Windows directory and locate "Internet Connection Sharing"
    2. Click it.
    3.1. If you are connected via USB select "USB" for the PC Connection.
    3.2. If you are connected via Bluetooth select "Bluetooth PAN"
    4. For network access select "Broadband Access"
    5. Click connect.

If USB it should connect after asking you to install a new driver on your PC.

If Bluetooth, your Bluetooth stack needs to support PAN (Personal Area Network) the Windows stack does. If you are using a Broadcom/Widcomm stack there are ways around that. That is for another post. If all is good, the search screen should be up on your phone. Make sure your PC is in Discoverable mode and find your PC. Select it.

I had to manually set my IP address for the adapter installed on my PC.
    1. Double click on the new Bluetooth Network Connection on your PC. This should be located in the System Tray by the clock.
    2. Click the Properties button
    3. Select the "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)" item in the box and click properties.
    4. Set your IP address to 192.168.0.5.
    5. Set your Subnet mask to 255.255.255.0
    6. Set your Gateway to 192.168.0.1
    7. Set Primary DNS to 4.2.2.2 (or whatever DNS server you want to use)
    6. Click the OK button then click it again on the previous screen.

On your phone if the status says Connected you should be able to browse the web using your unlimited data plan. The Internet Connection Sharing uses NAT routing so that all traffic looks like its coming from your phone.

From my experience with the "Tethering" you actually set up your PC to use dial-up networking in one way or another through your phone. This is avaiding that so Im 90% sure that you won't get nailed for tethering. This is close to how PDANet makes a connection using Remote NDIS.
  8. MidnightHacker

MidnightHacker New Member

Nice instructions! In my case, I didn't have to manually set my IP address.

The built in Internet Sharing is good stuff. I'm curious as to why it's normally overlooked in this forum as a connection sharing option, as it does have the advantage of allowing multiple simultaneous internet connections and in my experience, has proven to be MUCH faster than PDANet. I finally took the plunge and upgraded to Windows Mobile 6.1 (I'm on Sprint as well and use the Internet Sharing feature occasionally). I was hesitant to upgrade for fear of this app being crippled, but all seems well! From what I've read in other forums, I think that as long as you don't go nuts on the usage, this option for tethering is just as "invisible" as PDANet or USBModem. As with anything, if you abuse it, I'm sure they will find you out...
  9. thebixcuit

thebixcuit New Member

It is good stuff! I just happened to stumble on it yesterday looking for a gps fix for Verizon.

Agreed! It brings up and tears down the connection MUCH faster. As far as allowing multiple connections, Bluetooth PAN (Personal Area Network) supports up to 7 clients to 1 server. This means that other PC's or devices that support PAN can connect to your phone and use that same connection. I would find this extremely useful when traveling with a co-worker(s).
  10. sulster

sulster Active Member

Okay, I'm striking out on Step One. I just don't see that in the /Windows directory.... :(

ETA: It shows when i browse on the desktop, so i must have some hidden file setting not unchecked yet :)
  11. MidnightHacker

MidnightHacker New Member

You are correct. Sounds like you need to tell your phone to unhide hidden and system files. When you are in your file manager on the phone, go to menu-options, then uncheck the Hide Hidden files and Hide System Files options. After that, you should be able to find the InTShr.exe file you are looking to make a shortcut to/run. FYI, on my Sprint Q9c the link to Internet Sharing is already in the Start Menu by default. Are you sure this is not already the case for you?
  12. sulster

sulster Active Member

Nope, after I did the Unhide (is that a word?) option, it showed right up. It wouldn't let me "move" it, so I copied it to the "Windows/Start Menu" so it would show up in Facade and have it on my Home Page now...

i'll try it out on my laptop tonight. Many thanks to all of y'all for the assist(s)!
  13. thebixcuit

thebixcuit New Member

For Verizon it is not.
  14. BillyB187

BillyB187 New Member

I don't have a choice for Broadband Access. I only have "Cellular" and "Sprint Network"

Which one do I choose? I have a Sprint Q9c 6.1
  15. sulster

sulster Active Member

Okay, this only gives me "Local" access and won't let me access the internet...
  16. s_prasad22

s_prasad22 New Member

Same problem

I don't have a choice for Broadband Access access also. I only have "Cellular" and "Sprint Network"

Which one do I choose? I have a Sprint Q9c 6.1
  17. sitlet

sitlet New Member

i thought sprint charges you if you tether without a PAM plan? isnt that the whole reason for pdanet, so sprint doesnt see you are tethering?
  18. sulster

sulster Active Member

If I understand what he is saying, it doesn't read as "tethered". it's read as those bits went to your phone.
  19. krazydawg

krazydawg New Member

The shortcut for ICS is available on my StartMenu for my Sprint Q9C.
  20. s_prasad22

s_prasad22 New Member

I can get to that. But when I scroll down the available networks looking for BroadBand access I can't find it. I only have Sprint network and cellular as the options.

Please help