BREW Texts

Discussion in 'Motorola Q' started by kaymoua1123, Dec 29, 2007.

1. kaymoua1123

kaymoua1123 New Member

BREW Texts

For the past several months, I've been receiving this: //BREW:0x01017246:TYPE=SAS;UI=0;CONT=,,; with slight variations, on a weekly basis. It is utterly annoying, and I don't know what could be causing these text messages. I found another forum which revealed that this seems to be happening a lot to people upgrading their phones to the Q. I upgraded my phone earlier this year, but I've only begun receiving these messages the last couple of months. Some have called in this issue to Verizon, but they weren't able to resolve this issue. Is anyone receiving these messages beside me?
  2. TreeFrog

TreeFrog Active Member

Dude...I hope you've been saving those! Those are little pieces of New Castle's secret blend! :]
  3. scottjb

scottjb New Member

Did you have some type of BREW application on your old phone that used text messaging? Maybe a BREW-based I'm app?
  4. kaymoua1123

kaymoua1123 New Member

No; I use my phone, both pre-Q and Q, for SMS/MMS texts and calls, nothing else. Do you know how I can determine for certain if there is a BREW app on the Q?
  5. scottjb

scottjb New Member

The Q does not support BREW so there is no BREW application it.
  6. natieya

natieya Member

hi

I just received the same text message. I never received this message before...but I did something different today that I had not done since I got this phone. I accessed Backup Assistant online. I will see if I can figure out a correlation (and a fix)...in the meantime, anyone have any suggestions?
  7. disssonant

disssonant New Member

I just received the same SMS:

Message Body: //BREW:0x01017246:TYPE=SAS;UI=1;CONT=,

In my case, too, it arrived a couple of minutes after accessing Verizon Wireless Backup Assistant online. I have a Blackberry, so the service does not work with my handset; perhaps this is why it arrived in text form rather than a prompt? I logged in to enable it for a regular mobile phone on my account, but maybe my number was selected instead. Regardless, I am glad to hear someone else received it after signing in to Backup Assistant. I was worried it was a virus of some sort.
  8. joefuf

joefuf New Member

I recently upgraded from an LG vx10000 (Voyager) on Verizon to a Motorola Droid. No idea why, but I started getting these messages (two so far) at completely random times. The common denominator between us all appears to be that we all used Backup Assistant. I think the system must still be connected to our numbers rather than our specific phones. For me at least, being on Android, I can't use Backup Assistant. I suppose the solution would be that we disconnect our phones from the Backup service. Has anyone else found another solution or the real cause?

My message is the following:
    //BREW:0x01017246:TYPE=SAS;UI=0;CONT=0, 1, 0;
  9. pasteeater

pasteeater New Member

I received the same text, after replying several times with threats and profanity (i know no one reads it, but o felt better) I contacted Verizon who put a block on premium txts. Crossing fingers
  10. KateLJMUW

KateLJMUW New Member

Thanks, now that I see the connection to Verizon's backup assistant, my guess is that the phone tries to communicate to the computer that a contact has been changed.