Brand-new Q shuts down after a couple of minutes, must turn back on, and over and ove

Discussion in 'Motorola Q' started by justageek, Nov 22, 2006.

1. inf3st

inf3st New Member

I've had this problem on a black Q. Well it didn't reboot. It would just turn off and cause me to have to pull the battery to get it back on.
  2. inf3st

inf3st New Member

I'm very well informed and know quite a bit about the Q. And I'm on my 6th one.

I find your comment to be untrue and ignorant.
  3. trent_duke

trent_duke New Member

I do not have MOL2 but my Q did come with MOL1. Another co-worker of mine has had his Q for a month with MOL1 only too and has not experienced a shut down of any kind.

Trent
  4. VTDr0p0ut

VTDr0p0ut New Member

I don't think his comment was that untrue. There are a lot of people on here that have new Q's shipped out out of pure ignorance. I could point to a few threads, but you've already read them and that would simply be rude to the people that posted them. I don't think that statement is all inclusive, but at the same time, there are many people that will do something to the phone that will brick it (or cause severely undesired behavior), and then they'll walk up to VZW and say "I don't know what happened, give me another one". For those people, more training and less phones would save everybody some money. Of course, if VZW hired some decent tech people up front, they could fix it and hand it back to the user and be done with it...
  5. inf3st

inf3st New Member

Sounded pretty "all inclusive" to me. As for the rest of your post I do agree.
  6. xsmokedogx

xsmokedogx New Member

I thought it did this and random crashes due to it being a unstable microsoft operating system. heheh:tounge:
  7. judebrown

judebrown New Member

I was talking about one specific issue - the one issue that has dogged the Q since its inception. So yes the comment was entirely ignorant and very insulting to those who've dealt with the issue. While the rest of your thread is true it doesn't apply to this specific issue.

My new Q rocks. Not a single issue. For those of you who have multiple phones I feel for you. My new phone however has been an entirely different experience. I haven't needed my second battery once, have had zero shut downs and not one crash. Handyweather, Papyrus, Battery Pack Pro and Facade all installed and working perfectly.

My brother in law's new Q has also been perfect. He too is very pleased with his Q (ex Palm based Treo guy).

I'm also very enthused to hear that Moto is conducting conferences with all parties to address Q issues and plan future models. The process sounds inclusive and iterative which is exciting.
  8. PNut

PNut New Member

I was hoping...

I was hoping that this was the one thread where I would never post a message. Unfortunately, I lost.

Starting this morning, my Q began freezing on boot. Everything was backed up with Sprite Friday, as I planned on going to MOL2 today. I am not concerned about losing all of my information, and I would like to find a fix for the phone, but I feel it is hopeless. Let me know what you think:

When I boot the phone, it runs through the Verizon logo, plays annoying Windows music (which I won't change because registry mods frighten me), and begins to bring up the homescreen. It gets as far as trying to update the battery meter from the "!" to the appropriate number of bars before freezing solid. The first couple of times I rebooted (by removing the battery which is fully charged to shut the unit down) it did the same thing. Now it gets to the battery meter in the boot sequence and shuts itself down.

What I have tried:
    Because the system locks up before it will accept keystrokes, not much. I tried plugging the phone in, but it doesn't even recognize that it is connected to the AC adapter.

Next step:
    Try the hard reset on reboot as mentioned here, but I don't know that the Q will recognize that I am pressing anything.

Most recent changes to the phone:
    Finally got wireless sync to work Friday afternoon. It will not handle push, or even the scheduled sync as told, but I was happy to get it to work at all. Since that change, the phone has run slowly, but hadn't shown signs of locking up.

Any other advice, or should I just swallow my pride and talk to Verizon? As a side question, has anyone heard of someone burning up a Q due to excessive use? I average over 6,000 minutes a month talk time, God knows about data...
  9. inf3st

inf3st New Member

Pnut

try doing the hard reset while the phone is completely off. once you have done the reset go ahead do the mol2 update. i'm guessing this will fix your problem! if it doesn't it is time for a new Q.
  10. PNut

PNut New Member

Thanks, the hard reset didn't seem to do anything. But trying it again (and distracted by my two year old) I held the silver button down through the whole boot, and came up clean with no trouble. I don't know if it was a coincidence, or what, but I am not looking a gift horse in the mouth.

Off to do the MOL2... will keep you posted.
  11. PNut

PNut New Member

Update successful, Q faster than ever.
  12. inf3st

inf3st New Member

Glad to hear that dood. Has the battery life improved for ya aswell?
  13. Munich

Munich New Member

Just curious if with Mol2 and the hard reset your phone is back on track?
  14. PNut

PNut New Member

inf3st:
    Battery life was never a tremendous problem, but then I had low expectations. I have both the stock battery and the extended. When I am on the road or with clients, I keep the fully charged extended in my breifcase, but rarely have to use it. Most of my talk time is on a BT headset (Voyager 655), and answering critical emails. I try not to be an addict. Of course enjoying the occasional Donkey Kong game while on the phone is a my downfall. Bottom line, even without the update I could go almost a full day without a change out. I haven't really challenged it since.

Munich:
    It seems to be. I resisted the urge to reinstall from Sprite and decided instead to gradually rebuild my Q to how it would be most effective to me now as my use has evolved. I am amazed at how much garbage I had on there that I didn't use. My only big issue right now (besides the time zone switching that I am still really annoyed about) is getting the Wireless Sync/Outlook Mobile to do what I want. That slows things down quite a bit, and I may still switch back to the POP3 settings because the system is easier to manipulate. Otherwise it seems great. The only major program I used which has not been reinstalled (that I miss anyway) is Facade. Because it is something that is always on, I worry about constant resource drain and its impact on stability. Until I can remember the XML I forgot, I am not going to tweak homescreen on my own, so I use Facade to make the changes.
  15. Marvelous Merv

Marvelous Merv New Member

I did a quick tally with our system manager. We have over 100 smartphone/pdas in our organization - about twenty of them Verizon branded Q's, and a few Spring Qs trickling in. We run an equal number of Blackberry devices (mostly Pearls) and Treos - both 650 and 700p.

It is extremely rare that we get a phone returned for "hardware" related defects. In most instances when we have a user who complains that his or her phone doesn't work, we can make it work the way it was supposed to with just a few tweaks. Its pretty rare that one of our devices gets bricked. With the Q our biggest complaint/support issue is rectified by walking users through the open application "Kill" function. Its also not unusual to have a user who's expectation is that the smartphone will perform with the same alacrity as a desktop or laptop PC - if the phone isn't responding to key punches STOP and wait for the thing to catch up. I am not happy when my Q lags behind my typing, but it happens on virtually every handheld we have in our corporate arsenal at some point.

That a carrier sends our a replacement phone isn't necessarily an indication that there is a "known issue" with the phone. Given the way electronics are produced - in huge batches - acknowledging something like "an issue with random shutdowns" would effect tens of thousands of users - and that certainly isn't the case. At some point it becomes easier, and faster to simply send out a new virginal phone to end an issue.

As previously noted, bad hardware DOES happen but the odds of it happening to you are very slim. The odds of it happening to you MORE THAN ONCE are astronomical. So - whenever I read about someone who is on their third, four, or fifth phone it SUGGESTS to me that there is an issue that has little to do with the underlying hardware. Its worth pointing out that forums for each of the above named smartphones have nearly identical postings from people claiming multiple, defective hardware. Once again, my response is that TRAINING is the issue, not hardware. I'd hate for someone reading any of these types of forums think that investing in a Q - or other pda/smartphone is akin to a quality crapshoot.
  16. rdstoll

rdstoll New Member

I just got the brand new Black Q from Verizon and had no issues with it shutting down until I installed Wireless Sync yesterday.

Someone mentioned it goes into "Hibernate" mode if the battery is low...is there a way to turn that off? I haven't seen any setting on the phone for that.

Have to say that my early read on this Q is neutral at best. Problem is, this seems to be the nature of PDAs these days, at least the ones running WM5. Me thinks Palm would have a field day if they licensed out their OS to other OEMs as their system is so much more stable and user friendly.
  17. jetson Q

jetson Q New Member

Random shut off potential solution

My Q would shut down while in the lock mode.
    I found that one of the battery saving tips seem to cause this.
    The battery saving tip is to shut down the "beam" in connections.
    Looks like if you turn this off the Q will shut down while in the lock mode.
    Hope this helps
    Start-> Settings -> connections -> Beam
    Keep the box checked and it solved my random shut off.
  18. judebrown

judebrown New Member

My Q had serious problems. I actually didn't realize how bad it was until I got my new one from Moto (who were awesome to deal with I have to say). My new Q has never shut down and my battery life is at least twice as good. I love my phone. I suggest anyone having the same shut down problem (mine would shut down constantly regardless of settings) get a new one. The working product is well worth it!

19. larsdennert

larsdennert Active Member

I think the people on these forums are a good sampling of the Q's in circulation since the phones are handed out randomly.

I think most of the people here are somewhat more computer literate than the average Q owner simply by the fact that they seeked out this forum. My step brother's company gave him a Q and he has no clue about it and hates it because it runs horribly slow. He didn't know to even turn off the blue tooth to save battery or that it even had it. He's on his second or third unit and this one is brand new. I checked out the phone and it has nothing except Goodlink on it. It runs like a snail and crashed when I turned off BT. He has a Bachelors degree in Computer Science.

In comparison, I also have a BS in Computer Science. My Q was purchased very shortly after vzw released them and it has gone through both MOL upgrades. It has at least a dozen apps and a gig of media on it. This well worn unit runs like a clock, never crashes and has ok battery life.

So the question begs, do some phones have a software, hardware or user problem? I believe there is an array of those selections of problems out there. Based on the two Q's we have in our office, the three WM2003 phones we still have in service and the handfull of Blackberrys, I'd say software problems are the most common cause of issues in these phones.

The people who are smart enough figure out how to avoid the things that cause the phone to function incorrectly are able to have a well functioning unit. Those that aren't, suffer and end up returning the phones. It's not their fault IMO. I don't think it's the user's responsibilty to debug the phone but that's what usually happens. Some people can't drive a car at high speed without hitting a tree. Others can and that's the way it is. This forum is here to improve the driving skills of everyone...

For those who understand, no explaination is necessary. For those who don't, none is possible.
  20. judebrown

judebrown New Member

"The people who are smart enough figure out how to avoid the things that cause the phone to function incorrectly are able to have a well functioning unit." (Wow does that sound like the guy who does tech support at my office or what!?!)

I agree with the general message of your post but if the phone is busted, it doesn't matter who your are or what your background is - the phone is busted.

Further to that Moto and the rest better figure out how to make these things a little more mainstream - as long as they are sending out buggy phones with user interface design as an afterthought - they are guaranteeing the success of their competitors.