BlackBerry killer

Discussion in 'Motorola Q' started by fab, Jun 2, 2006.

1. fab

fab New Member

BlackBerry killer

Just browsed the page of Motorola Q, it looks promising.

Do you think it will kill BlackBerry? Is there any BlackBerry user here? Will you switch to Motorola Q? I have great interest in Motorola Q.
  2. Splash

Splash New Member

I've never used a Blackberry so I can't say that I have anything to transfer from. I know a lot of business owners use Blackberry's though, so I'd imagine the popularity would depend on successful marketing and word of mouth.
  3. fab

fab New Member

Virtual Q

Or the price would make the decision. Yes, many companies provide BlackBerry to their staff. Actually they mainly want email on the road.
    If Motorola Q is cheaper, I think the companies are willing to try it out.
  4. motomouth

motomouth New Member

The Q looks much better in my opinion than the black berry. I have never used a black berry for my use but I have used one quickly and found that it was a little hard to navigate on. I hope that the Q will be easy to use.
  5. pframirez

pframirez New Member

Blackberry

i have had Berries for the last 4 years. i can tell you that they are much easier to use and not a lot of wasted steps. i need calendar, contacts, email, and phone. so it worked well for me. i dont need all that the Q came with. (although the outlook loaded on this phone is sub par with what i have seen on others). LOVE the form factor of the Q but i am a berry man.
  6. TAG1976

TAG1976 New Member

You have "Berry" people, and You have "Treo" people. The "Q" is the Sweet combination of both units in a small "RAZR-Esque" package!
  7. skygirl65

skygirl65 New Member

I used a company issued blackberry for 2 years. I like the Q much better, but I don't think I will be able to keep it. My company has MAJOR security issues with opening up a port for the Q to communicate with the Exchange server, so I can't get company e-mail. The BES server is apparantly less expensive and safe for the company to run. Bummer.
  8. sbagdan

sbagdan New Member

I was a BB man for over 5 years, and have used almost EVERYHTING out there. IMHO, I think the Q is IT!! It is smaller, better integrated with Windows, and a better phone. If email is your "thing" and you MUST have it, then a BB may be better for you.

I am a consultant, and thought I need email all the time, but if someone needs me in an emergency, they will call first... So email is "NOT" as urgent to me as I thought it was.

My wife keeps saying how my stress level is HALF of what it was with the BB. We would get interupted at dinner, out with family, etc.... The Q has made me MORE efficent and simplified my life 100%!
  9. scotty-o

scotty-o New Member

Mainly due to the price, size and the Windows interface, I think the Q is pretty cool! At work, of the 3, we've had the most problems w/ the Treo.

If anything might be a Blackberry killer, I think the rumored AppleBerry will do it :)
  10. viridian

viridian New Member

sbagdan -

agree completely! i was a bb user for many years, then traded it in for a normal phone almost two years ago... i felt like i got part of my life back - i would constantly be interrupted (on a date, in a meeting, at church) by an email coming in... with the Q (only had it two days) that is not an issue, because i use it more like a computer than the bb was. i CHOOSE when to dl my emails, when its convenient for me, not when its inconvenient.

as a fellow consultant, i agree - clients or my assistant call me, not email me. BUT (as i'm sure you know) with all the time sitting in an airport, i know the q will make me more productive, and on short trips, will not need to take my vaio with me.

cheers!
  11. hnsimpson

hnsimpson New Member

sbagdan, viridian you both hit it on the head.

As a recovering crackberry addict I was at first put off by the lack of 'instant' push email, but then I realized something: my stress level went from constant overload to a more realistic and manageable level.

The Q keeps me in contact with the world, and once my customers were 'retrained' to not expect me to use email as a business-line IM I have settled into life after the Berry quite nicely.

-Simpson
    Sales Manager
  12. fencefixer

fencefixer New Member

Made the switch

and could not be happier. That 7250 Blackberry just could not make it in it's most important job. Phone first. What a piece a junk radio. I have had my Q since Monday and have made my first road trip to California, and it did great. I have the extended battery and it performed excellent. Battery is another Blackberry problem when using it as a phone and email device. So now I have a great phone and a marginal email device. And I'm good with that. I will figure some of the email quirks out, opening attachements, reading long emails ect. Going to order a desk charger, nice case, and maybe even some stereo bluetooth headphones. I'm set folks, See ya at the gate.
  13. dhaberer

dhaberer New Member

just switched from the bb this last weekend. I love the size and navigation of the Q. I am currently in the panic mode of not having email instantaneously, though after reading others comments, I can see that it will also help me in the long run with stress. My company has switched to Lotus Notes and won't set up Goodlink, so I'm stuck checking email every 15 minutes via pop. I can't get the wireless sync to work, so I'll just stay this way for now. It can only be good for me in the long run. I'm definitely happy to get rid of that brick I used to carry around, not to mention, I can play zelda on my phone now, lol.
  14. Pagan1530

Pagan1530 New Member

Just dropped my contract with Sprint/Nextel 7100i to switch to a Q. Down with the BB, up with the Q!!!!!!
  15. djlactose

djlactose New Member

Blackberry will never be killed. The techies out there may switch to other things but the average exec who know doesn't have technological knowledge will stick with what they know (Unless the techies force them too :)).
  16. brandon1

brandon1 New Member

My mom has a treo, I have the Q. I can honestly say the only thing I like about the treo is the touch screen as sometimes the tiny QWERTY setup can be a pain for dialing phone numbers. I find the one thing I have the most problems with regarding the Q is the voice recognition feature. It's constantly reading back things I clearly never said. Not even similar sounds. To get it to dial MIDAS (myd-ass) you have to say MEE-DISS. It's funny when people see me yelling at my phone like it's a person though. :)

I find blackberries to be oversized extremely. The treo is even too thick for my tastes. The Q is thin, small, and has no bulky antennas or anything to get caught on. In the end, other than a few buggy areas of minor concern the Q is by far superior to anything I've used.