Blackberry Hype....

Discussion in 'Moto Q 9c' started by doulos, Feb 19, 2009.

1. Peregrine

Peregrine Member

It's all advertising.
    Is the iPod the best DAP (digital audio player) on the market? No. Then why does it have a HUGE lead over #2 maker Sansa? Ever seen a Sansa commercial? The fact that Sansa is #2 with NO advertising should tell you what a decent product they make. Hell not even the companies with MORE $$$ then Sansa advertise thier players. Ever seen a Creative DAP commercial? Even Sony doesn't advertise thier (decent) line of players.

Same with BB. I've never seen a commercial dedicated to the Q. Seen it mentioned along with other phones but never a fun and hip commercial about it like the iPhone. Apple and RIM have millions to advertise. And marketing does work. I have always had a soft spot for Apple computers but phones and computers are NOT where Apple truly shine. It's their marketing division that is the best in the industry.
  2. agree 100%.
    Apple's ipods are not great. I have a few, and only bought one for my wife. The others were gifts.
    In the old days of pda's you could have a dell axiom or a compaq ipaq.
    Oh is that a palm pilot?

Smartphones...
    Is that a BB?

Heck I use Autocad at work for drafting. Why, because it became an industry standard when they gave it out for free in the 80's.
    now its a 4000 program.
    Same with Adobe and Photoshop.
    Great programs and devices, but its marketing that puts it on top.
  3. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

the Storm is considered a smartphone i believe (possibly other BB's as well)
  4. Peregrine

Peregrine Member

Your missing his point, RB. How many people have asked you when you are carrying your old Q "is that your Blackberry?" I've heard it 100 times at least in 3 years of Q ownership.

Because of advertising, people aren't even aware there is competition out there. Except the geekier folks. (Y'all know what I mean by "geekier".)
  5. Exactly.
    Do you know how many times even when I had my treo 650...is that a blackberry?

Do ask for a tissue or keenex?
  6. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

had a Q for about 18 months i believe and not once did somebody ask me if it was a BB... i must know smart "geekier" people :}
  7. because the original one looked like it was made by Mattel :tounge:
  8. sherri

sherri Active Member

Brand knowledge and advertising really do help...

"Make me a Xerox" of this (instead of "copy)
    "I need a Bandaid" (instead of adhesive bandage)
    "Scotch Tape" (instead of clear adhesive tape)
    "Chlorox" (instead of chlorinated cleanser)
    "Brillo" (instead of scouring pad)

You get the point...Most people see the BB commercials, so any phone with keys and that resembles the BB is "called" a BB. I get it all the time. That, or the BlackJack.
  9. Peregrine

Peregrine Member

You certainly must. And I'd guess you don't go out to eat often? I once had a waitress ask me if my DAP was a new Blackberry.
    Does this resemble any phone ever made?!?!?!

[​IMG]

/edit/ and more times then I can possibly count I have been asked if that's my iPod....
  10. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

the original Q ? :}

actually... i probably go out to eat, 5-6 days out of 7 :} waitresses are usually more interested in the toys Max brings :}
  11. sherri

sherri Active Member

(or they are interested in you....)
  12. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

wasn't gonna say that of myself :}
  13. sherri

sherri Active Member

That's what I'm here for! ;)
  14. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

it's appreciated :}

and regarding this thread, look at EQ/EB.. Q's and BB's existing besides each other in harmony..
  15. EQBob

EQBob New Member

The pets thread has cats and dogs and birds right next to each other, why not Q's and BB's ...and the occassional Saga :tounge:
  16. Geekster

Geekster New Member

Going to the BB Curve from the Q in the last few weeks really hasn't been that big of a step but there is a learning curve. They are both "smart phones": dedicated full key boards (except the Storm), about the same size screens (Curve), BB's use the PIE core engine for the internet, the HS's can be customized, Opera Mini, etc....
    The difference?
    I found what you had to buy, hack or tweak on the Q is already there for the BB:
    Press a key for a second & you get a capital letter w/c you had to buy a program for on the original Q's.
    Firewall is already there if you want to activate it; just now in beta for Windows Mobile.
    Letters to numbers to make a call is already there w/ a key combo w/c on the Q you had to install a program.
    Push e-mail & yes it can go down but if you used Gmail this week they were down for several hours this week so nothing is perfect. There is a Gmail app. that is a download that I use to check an email every once in awhile but I do have another Gmail account pushed to my phone. And Live Mail is playing nice now & can be pushed to your phones now, too. Live mail doesn't have an app. yet to "just check an email every once in awhile" but they made it easy to sign in from the browser.
    BB's do have a copy & paste function w/c you had to "buy" or get in beta for the Windows Mobile.
    You can have threaded text or ol' skool text on the BB.
    Blackberry Messenger that thru BES (BlackBerry Enterprise Server) is a BB2BB messenger is not secure. But if you use BIS (Blackberry Internet Server) the message is secure b/c the only copies go from BB to BB.
    Can save texts, e-mails easily.
    With Desktop Manager everything is backed-upped. You do not have to buy a program to back-up your stuff.
    Can't install programs on the storage card with the BB w/c does limit a person on how many programs they can install w/c you can do on Windows Mobile.
    A learning curve? You bet ya'. It's just different from Windows Mobile.
    I would have loved to have been able to wait for the Saga. I do miss my Q a lot. I miss Window Mobile b/c it is a comfortable OS, very tweakable!
    BB's aren't the "dark side". They just do things differently; sometimes easily but sometimes it's like pulling teeth.
    There should not be a war between the 2 OS's b/c they are both good in their own way.
    I could go on with the comparisons but hopefully you get the "drift".
    Keep in mind, this is comparing my original black Q to BB Curve & not the newer OS from the Omnia or Saga.
    *Off Topic*
    Hi n99Hockey :laugh2:
    *Back on Topic*
  17. Jonson9688

Jonson9688 New Member

After getting a Blackberry 8830 for work and a Motorola Q for personal uses around the same time, I'd say the two cater to different audiences.

I sometimes still miss my Blackberry because it was just such a powerful business device. You could just tell that it was meant to sent hundreds of emails a day. For example:

- it came with a magnetic clasp in the holster. The BB had two different profiles for when it was inside the holster or out. (Vibrate or Ring) It's so simple and so practical.
    - the battery life is a lot longer because of the slower processor
    - keyboard (imo) was better and wouldn't repeat a lot of characters for no reason(for example my q9m would type righght even if i only typed "right")
    - excellent exchange support, although I wouldn't know how the Q does with exchange. You can search for contacts on the phone through the directory and the email support is excellent.
    - email is excellent -- the buttons just make sense. it's very quick to reply, none of that Windows mobile delay where u hit reply and have to wait for the screen to load.

The Q on the other hand has been used for different purposes. In general, the OS is slower even though the processor is faster. For example, after installing opera mini on both it was obvious that the Q was much faster but the OS was bogging the phone down.

- Easily customized (Facade - Winmo 6.1)
    - PDANET!!
    - Better App support, such as different kind of AIM clients, CorePlayer, Pandora

All in all, if I were to own a phone in order to be a power user and send over 200 emails a day, and text often, I would appreciate the simplicity and power of the BB OS -- it's built to be reliable and send messages without missing a heartbeat. In the summer I owned a BB, I understood why they called it the "crackberry" -- it's very easy to stay connected.

But if I wanted a device to be powerful for its apps and multimedia, I would use the Q. I even use it as a GPS with Garmin Mobile installed on it.

Hard to say, but without any sort of innovation on Motorola, but especially Microsoft's part, I would have to lean towards the new Blackberries -- the Bold seems to have overcome the slow processor of the 8830/Curve, and application/multimedia support is improving.
  18. Heckler

Heckler New Member

A new and improved Q? Yeah, it's called a SAGA. Not a blackberry. Borrow a friends blackberry for an hour. IT SUCKS. My friends curve pales in comparison to my Saga. It's slow, crashes, camera sucks, keyboard sucks, feels cheap, IM sucks, facebook app sucks, everything sucks. It's a business device and that's about it.

I can say it has better battery life but that's probably because it crashes and restarts in your pocket constantly and you hate it so you don't use it. He's on his FIFTH curve. POS.
  19. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

thanks.... my thoughts exactly.

and Heckler, a little mutual respect goes a long way... you don't like the BB, fine.. does it suck because you don't like it, not so much.
  20. EQBob

EQBob New Member

The ability to step into someone else's shoes and see their needs and the best solution for those needs is a talent. Simply applying your opinion / bias to something and stating it sucks isn't so much a talent as a bash. Anyone can bash.

We all have bias. Can we step outside of it?