Blackberry Connect & WM 6.1 Saga

Discussion in 'Moto Q 9h' started by RedScare, Jul 31, 2008.

1. RedScare

RedScare New Member

Blackberry Connect & WM 6.1 Saga

Having problems with Blackberry Connect since installing 6.1, and I'm hoping some of you smart folks might be able to read the clues and help me solve the problem.
    • I'm using the same version of BB Connect that I was using previously (which is incidentally the same version the "Get Blackberry Connect" link inside 6.1 pointed me to download).
    • BB Connect seems to install OK, but I am unable to register with AT&T's Blackberry server. The odd thing is, when I first installed 6.1, I installed BB Connect and got the "you are registered with the network" System message. Unfortunately, in mucking around with things yesterday, I ended up doing another clean boot, and when I reinstalled BB Connect I am no longer connecting to AT&T's BB network.
    • This leads me to believe it is not entirely a 6.1 error. Why would it have worked once, and then not again?
    • BB Connect creates a program folder when it installs. In 6.0, it puts 5 shortcuts in the folder. Same version only puts 2 shortcuts in the folder. The shortcuts that get skipped are related to the "Blackberry Browser" (which is a special way to launch IE that communicates through the BB pipeline.) I suspect this might have something to do with the fact that IE has changed in 6.1, but I don't know.
    • I spent about an hour on the phone with AT&T this morning, trying to get them to look at the problem (did not mention upgrading to 6.1). They assured me I am set up correctly on their end.
    • While troubleshooting the problem, they sent me to check my connection settings, and in 6.1 the MEdia Net GPRS connection is locked and the setting can't be viewed.
    Now I'm kind of at a loss. BB Connect is vital to me, but I really want to avoid downgrading to 6.0 if I can. I love the new version, I just have to get it working.

ANY suggestions would be welcomed.
  2. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

3. RedScare

RedScare New Member

More info:
    • Reverted back to 6.0, and yes, everything is working fine back there. It's definitely related to the 6.1 upgrade.
    • Going to try ONE MORE TIME to go back up to 6.1 and tinker, then I guess I'm stuck waiting for a new BB Connect version.
    BTW, I've theorize, based on the countless searches I've made on the net looking for help and assistance, there there are probably about 5 people in the world using BB Connect. Shame really, it's very nifty software.
  4. RedScare

RedScare New Member

I'm not sure why you moved this...

I'm using Blackberry Connect on a Moto Q.

Oh well, off to another board for assistance I guess.
  5. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

and moved back...
  6. RedScare

RedScare New Member

Thanks rudeboy. You don't live up to your name. ;)
  7. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

you're welcome...
  8. mexiken

mexiken New Member

Theres the nice rudeboy again. YES !!!!
  9. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

he left again.... [​IMG] :}
  10. mexiken

mexiken New Member

Phew. Thanks for not "ratting me out" :wink: Or all of us.
  11. RedScare

RedScare New Member

Well for posterity's sake, in case any of the other 5 BB Connect users out there have similar problems, here's the latest (and oddest):
    • If I downgrade my Q to 6.0 and install BB Connect, I can choose the "Register with the Server" option and successfully connect to AT&T's BB server.
    • If I then upgrade my Q to 6.1, I will (at least temporarily) be connected to AT&T. Some options are greyed out, and I am unable to setup additional email accounts on the device. Mail push seems to be working.
    • If while on 6.1, if I choose the "Register" option to try and enable the greyed out options, it breaks my connection to the server and I have no clue how to restore it. Somehow the return message that AT&T is trying to send back to me (which comes in as a System message) is being lost by 6.1.
    • I've tested this multiple times (been back down to 6.0 and up to 6.1 three times now while testing).
    Right now I'm trying to decide whether this tenuous connection to the server is sustainable. If all I have to do is avoid registering in order to stay connected, I will probably be satisfied.

The next big test will be Enterprise Activation to the corp email server, but I'm afraid to tackle that one right now.
  12. mexiken

mexiken New Member

Nice try. LOL, it doesn't count when you're trying, lol.
  13. RedScare

RedScare New Member

Well after spending a day and a half trying everything I can think of to make it work, I have reached the conclusion that there is some sort of fundamental disconnect between WM 6.1 and AT&T's Blackberry server.
    • The AT&T server can't push Service Books to my Q.
    • I can't register with the server to establish a connection.
    Since Blackberry Connect isn't optional software for me, I will probably be forced (grudgingly) back to 6.0 for the time-being. I will keep my eyes open for a new release, and hope I can get it to work on 6.1.
  14. snick

snick New Member

I also use the blackberry connect and was tempted to upgrade. Did you try removing your user information from the Blackberry Manager on your blackberry server and recreate it? You know add new user.. create pin and such?

I guess if I can roll back to 6.0 I might try it if you didn't give that a try.
  15. RedScare

RedScare New Member

I ended up having AT&T completely erase my current account information, and recreated my email accounts etc.

Unfortunately, I could never get the BB server to successfully send my phone Service Books. I couldn't register with the server at all.
  16. RedScare

RedScare New Member

...and FYI, I've been resisting rolling back so far (I really like 6.1) and am hoping we either get a new BB Connect release soon, or we can figure out a workaround.
  17. snick

snick New Member

hmm .. well I'm very new to this phone so I need to do some research so I can figure out how to load the OS and remove it if possible if it doesn't work. I also have access to our corporate BB server so maybe there are some settings in there I can play around with.

All the documentation I have for the blackberry connect software references WM6.1 too. Maybe ATT is missing something on their side.

You are using version 4.0.0.97 of the connect software?
  18. RedScare

RedScare New Member

Yes, I'm using .97 (I tried .91 too just in case).

FYI, downgrading to 6.0 is easy (I've done it at least 4 times while playing around).

You can tell when you do the .97 install on 6.1 that something is not quite right:
    • The Blackberry browser and Set Up Personal email links, that usually get created in the Blackberry folder, don't get created in 6.1. That seems like odd behavior (since it's the same software .97) and smells like a bug.
    • When launching IE the first time after installing BB Connect, I usually get an error that says something like "BB Browser not properly enabled. Will try to fix it" and it reboots the phone. After that, the error never happens again, but it still doesn't work correctly.
    • I wonder if the changes in 6.1 to IE are somehow to fault for this.
  19. snick

snick New Member

OK, so I updated to 6.1 (I really like that OS) and installed the blackberry connect software with the same results. There are quite a few errors in the installation log file, but that doesn't seem to stop it from finishing. Unfortunately I must have the software installed so i'm rolling back to 6.0 right now. Oh well, maybe a new software release will come out along side the official release from ATT.
  20. pvenkat

pvenkat New Member

AKU version?

To those whop upgraded to 6.1, could you tell me the AKU version? I think it is under HKLU|system|versions or something.

I remember back with my old Tilt and WM 6.1, we had to change AKU version to .0.4.1 before installing bb connect for it to work. May be someone can try that.