BJ II vs Q9h "My Location"

Discussion in 'Moto Q 9h' started by mexiken, Jan 20, 2008.

1. mexiken

mexiken New Member

Also, just food for thought:

"When taken together, autonomous civilian GPS horizontal position fixes are typically accurate to about 15 meters (50 ft). These effects also reduce the more precise P(Y) code's accuracy"

I pulled that from Wikipedia. The "My Location" which triangulates, will actually TELL you how many meters its off. In my home for example, my roommate's BJ II and Blackberry tell him "My Location" is accurate to within 3 meters. The VERY conservative number they give in literature and their video is because they are accounting for worse scenarios, which some might have in less coverage areas. The more cell towers, the better your chances of increased accuracy.

Also, they mention in their video, the more you use the feature, the more accurate it becomes. THATS really what is intriguing me about the technology, and why I want to get it work, if even only partially.
  2. dwboston

dwboston New Member

I wasn't the one really "getting into it" with Geoffrey. That was "dbhouston". I posted what I found about specs from other sources and my SIM-card-less GPS lock and was either ridiculed or ignored by Geoffrey. Paco is the one who spoke to the Moto engineer about the GPS chip differences between the Q9h, Q9m, and Q9c, and was very helpful.

It shouldn't be too difficult to get a GPS lock if you have an unobstructed view of the southern sky, unless your phone isn't working properly. Did you install the Microsoft GPSID driver configurator or the MoDaCo COM3 activator? I'm sitting in my family room next to a south-facing window and I get a lock within 2 minutes, and even quicker outside. I do have a tough time getting a lock downtown in Boston amid all of the tall buildings.

There are a lot of differences between the BJII and Q9h. There's a reason AT&T is selling the BJII for $99. :laugh2: They seem similar because of the form factor and WM6 but it's entirely different hardware inside.
  3. mexiken

mexiken New Member

Yeah I had the Modaco hack back when it was COM 5, lol. But I have the COM 3 hack, and I have since downloaded the GPSID utility which has made life with GPS much better and more stable. I actually have it set to COM 1.

Unfortunately its just not that easy when I'm driving east and west (to work and school) as the buildings, trees, and such all get in the way of a clear view of the southern sky. Price of living in sunny So Cal I suppose.

I just hope Google can get this hammered out and get us WM6 users up and running soon.

Going back to the original question , can anyone help ????
  4. Phrozt

Phrozt New Member

What is this GPSID thing you speak of? (sorry for the hijack)
  5. mexiken

mexiken New Member

Its a utility app for your phone that lets you set the COM ports for your GPS chip to interact with programs. It actually sets the values in the registry for you. Search Google for it, I don't really know if I'm allowed to link other forums. I did so the other night, and no one said anything, but I dont remember if I'm allowed to. Just search for GPSID, you should find it rather easily. Hope that helps.
  6. Glenn J

Glenn J New Member

Sorry to bump an old thread, but figured it was better than starting a new one on an already existing topic.

My wife's Q9h has the same issue. You hit "My location" and it says: "This feature not available for this model phone" or something to that effect. However, you hit "Use GPS"...wait a while and boom, there you are.

On my BB Curve 8310, when you hit "My location" you get that "triangulation" feature from the cell towers. At first, I get a blue dot with a light blue circle around it. It tells me it's accurate withing 1000-1500 meters. And it usually is. About 20-30 seconds later, my GPS kicks in and it pinpoints my location.

So, to the OP...I feel your pain. I'm stumped as to why the my location won't work with the Q9h. And it's strange how it won't then go to GPS automatically, rather, you have to manually select it.

I'm curious as to what happens when you take a drive. On my curve, the GPS dot will actually move as you move. I wonder if the same happens on the Q.
  7. JWH10

JWH10 New Member

Once you can get the feature working the dot will move as you drive.
  8. ptlee8202

ptlee8202 New Member

I'm curious as to why you're curious. Just because the Q9h cannot use the "my location" feature (which uses cell tower triangulation) the Q9h does use GPS satellites to triangulate which is much more accurate and therefore it will move the dot as oppose to the (dot with a shaded big circle around it which is the "my location" feature) as you move along.
  9. ptlee8202

ptlee8202 New Member

the "feature" is not working. the GPS is working.
  10. Glenn J

Glenn J New Member

Yep.

I basically don't understand why the tower based "my location" doesn't work on this phone. Especially since it seems other motophones running windows mobile have no problem with it.
  11. ptlee8202

ptlee8202 New Member

it's still "beta". it's a great innovation but there's still room for improvements. the accuracy will get better for one thing. the handover from cell towers to GPS satellites for another. support for more devices.

http://www.google.com/mobile/gmm/mylocation/index.html

http://www.google.com/support/mobile/bin/answer.py?answer=81871&topic=13541
  12. mexiken

mexiken New Member

I know why it doesn't work. Google doesn't have access to the appropriate Windows API that handles the radio. So the program doesn't know how to access and interpret the radio signal since the "interpreter" is something MS is keeping to itself for whatever reason (don't really wanna speculate)

What I can't understand is how come they could figure out "part" of it for one phone, and not the other ???? But then again, the API's are tweaked and accessed differently for each device. Still, its just weird.
  13. ptlee8202

ptlee8202 New Member

if the 2 phones run the same MS OS and both are from ATT and one works with the feature and the other don't, then logic would suggest the culprit should be Motorola. Why would Microsoft release the API for Samsung BJII but not for Motorola Q9h or any Q for that matter. I just think they were prioritized to work on Blackberries first (business bucks) and then iPhones cause I think I read some news that iPhones had problems with GMM but somewhat working now.
  14. ptlee8202

ptlee8202 New Member

with all the false reports from q owners on the feature working or not google probably put us at the bottom of the priority list.
  15. mexiken

mexiken New Member

They don't. The system versions may not be identical, and even if they were, they won't react the same based on drivers, hardware profiles, etc. Thats why something may work on most Q9h's, but not on the BJII or the Q9h, as it happens quite a bit.
  16. ptlee8202

ptlee8202 New Member

the system versions including the APIs would be the same. MS would not make different versions for different hardware makers. It is up to the hardware makers to write the device drivers for their own hardware. That's why it is more likely Motorola's driver that is causing a problem in this case.
  17. mexiken

mexiken New Member

You do realize that API's are source-code interfaces for the OS (in this case) and PROGRAMS, NOT hardware, right ???? I don't think the problem lies with Moto....

The problem is Google (who gets their dev kits from MS, and consequently, any API's to build apps), just doesn't have access to those API's, those are MS and MS's only to give out. They own the OS. Moto and Samsung may not even have them, since they write no software (for WM anyway) themselves. And even if they did, they may not be allowed to distribute them. Its called controlling content.

I think you're a bit confused on what an API does, how its implemented, and who its given to. Either that, or maybe I'm the one who's confused, but it was pretty clear to me in my programming clases. Or, you're just assuming you know what you're talking about when you don't. But to me, what you said made no sense, from an API standpoint.
  18. U-2

U-2 New Member

Microsoft provides the API (in this case, privileged - not for general use), but Radio Interface Layer driver that implements this API is written by HW maker.
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa920475.aspx
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa919462.aspx
    So, basically, at the end Google's call to get cellid (tower identificator) executes the code that is written by either Motorola or TI engineers.
  19. ptlee8202

ptlee8202 New Member

I wonder if you passed those programming classes.

You really should stick to something you know such as AT&T stuff. Just knowing the acronym API (application programming interface) you should get a hint that that is the only part of Microsoft code that they will give out to anyone willing to pay to join their MSDN developers network. The SDKs are tools and examples to help you interface the APIs your applications and device drivers for third party software or hardware company. In fact, the Microsoft OS is considered pretty opened compared to proprietary ones like the one for the Apple MACs. Why do you think there is so much third party software and hardware available?
  20. mexiken

mexiken New Member