BJ II vs Q9h "My Location"

Discussion in 'Moto Q 9h' started by mexiken, Jan 20, 2008.

1. mexiken

mexiken New Member

BJ II vs Q9h "My Location"

All right, so heres what I've found:

I've scoured the internet (Modaco, here, Google Groups, XDA, Qusers) and I've seen two things:

1. The GM "My Location" feature, which triangulates your position based on cell towers and NOT GPS, does NOT work on the Q9h, in any way, shape, or form.

2. The "My Location" feature DOES work on a BJ II, but ONLY on the EDGE/GSM network, and NOT on the 3G network. Check out this thread here: http://groups.google.com/group/Goog...nk=st&q=my location motorola#62f553c317864961 I have also verified this with my roommates BJ II. I was a bit jealous actually =(

So now, my question is, how can we get this to work (at least partially) on the Q9h ???? If it works on a BJ II, it could theoretically work on a Q9h right ???? Or am I wrong ???? What would we require to analyze the differences ???? ROM backups ???? Registry backups ???? I have the Q9h, and my roommate has the BJ II. Would anyone who is capable be willing to study the two and see if they can determine why one partially works and the other doesn't ???? Let me know if anyone is interested. Maybe the BJ II has the API that it needs to pass the location along to the phones, and its just not present in the Q9h. And hopefully too we can tweak the BJ II to work with 3G also, unless thats a Google server side thing.

Any ideas ???? Anyone know what is required to even figure that out ????
  2. Joneyee

Joneyee New Member

Funny I'm on 3G with my Q9h and the My Location Feature works like a charm.
  3. ptlee8202

ptlee8202 New Member

Sorry, but I think you are misinformed about the feature. Have you ever seen the blue dot surrounded by a blue circle? A blue dot is just the GPS but the blue dot with a circle is the new feature. Here is the description from google:

New! Google Maps with My Location (Beta)
    See your location on the map, with or without GPS. Save time and tedious keystrokes finding where you are, what's around you, and how to get there.
    Press "0" and look for the blue dot: [​IMG] or [​IMG]
    If you have a GPS-enabled device, this blue dot corresponds to your GPS location. At times, or if you do not have a GPS-enabled phone you might see the blue dot surrounded by a light blue circle (as shown on the right) to indicate uncertainty about your location.
    Why the uncertainty? The My Location feature takes information broadcast from mobile towers near you to approximate your current location on the map - it's not GPS, but it comes pretty close (approximately 1000m close, on average). We're still in beta, but we're excited to launch this feature and are constantly working to improve our coverage and accuracy.
  4. jpwoof

jpwoof New Member

It doesnt work on my Q9 Global as well.. I'm getting the "your location is temporarily unavailable" message.
  5. matt1097

matt1097 New Member

works fine for me on my Q9H... I too got the "your location is temporarily unavailable".. but selecting "Use GPS" first fixed that situation and everything worked perfectly
  6. DrQ

DrQ New Member

Does it show the dot with the circle or just the dot? If the later then it's using the GPS and not "my location".
  7. JWH10

JWH10 New Member

It works fine on my Q9h and the blue dot shows my position. There are tons of threads on this...after reading about and trying many things with settings and such, I read a post that said the first time you turn on say Google Maps and let it try and locate satellites it takes forever and doesn't work. After letting it time out once or twice mine finally picked up GPS satellites and works fine from then on. Just try turning on the GPS in Google Maps a few times, eventually it will pick up on some GPS satellites. At least that was my experience.
  8. DrQ

DrQ New Member

Congrats that is how the GPS should work but that is not the "My Location" feature that was added on the latest release of GMM. Google Maps has always worked with a GPS but added a feature on the latest release (dot with a circle around it) that uses cell towers rather than the satellites (GPS). This feature is called "My Location". According to Google this feature is in Beta and does not work on the Q. Some have posted on other threads that they thought GMM was in Beta, but it is not it's only the cell tower "my location" feature.
    I think those who are reporting that it works are actually using their GPS. Does anyone see the circle around the Dot shown in the above post?
  9. dwboston

dwboston New Member

So what's the point? That we can't get a less accurate position fix with "My Location" but we can actually use the built-in GPS with the same program? Uh, OK, you're right. :)
  10. DrQ

DrQ New Member

The OP was looking for highly skilled help to get "my location" to work and some were saying it does which would negate his request. If it actually doesn't work because those saying it does lack a clear understanding of the feature, then his request is valid and still out there waiting for someone qualified to help. Way over my head, but he asked if someone with both the BJII and the Q9H could help with possible solutions. I'm sure he'd like the input to get it to work.

I hope if I'm wrong and it is working via cell tower triangulation someone will point it out. The accuracy of the information we are sharing is important. I just repeat what I've read elsewhere and take no offense to correction, clarification and new change being reported.

You are correct that the actual GPS is the best solution.
  11. ptlee8202

ptlee8202 New Member

The point is, this works for most other WM smartphones except (according to one article) the Q, the Blackjack, and the treo 700w. The OP is now saying it works on the BJ II so that is new information. He also says it only works on EDGE towers and that information may help. Even if you cannot see any benefits, why would you be so _____ (you fill in the word). :smile:

Here are three possible benefits 1) faster startup time for google map when you are waiting for it to acquire the gps position. It will know where you are even before the gps kicks in. 2) It will be able to track you indoors when you cannot acquire any satellites. 3) You can save power by shutting down gps until you need the accuracy of the gps.
  12. dwboston

dwboston New Member

Hey, to each his own. And right back at you with the _________.

It just smacks of people complaining about no internet connectivity via Bluetooth PAN when Bluetooth DUN works fine.

Firing up GPS Test gives you a pretty quick GPS lock if you are outside or next to a window facing the correct direction to see the satellites. Not every device can access every feature or program. "My location" works via GPS and that's good enough for me. Plus I have a Nav system in my car that locks pretty much instantly.

The OP is the same person who posted a breathless manifesto about the Q9h not having "real" GPS because he hadn't read all of the relevant posts over at the Moto support forums that explained the whole thing in detail. So forgive me if I take it all with a large grain of salt. :)
  13. DrQ

DrQ New Member

You asked me my point and I should have told you simply my point was "my location" and "use GPS" are 2 different features in GMM and you seem to think you are using the first when you are using the second.

I read the other thread you referred to and appreciated your correcting the OP but recall you did it with a softer tone and more understanding than I feel your responses are in this thread. I have seen a lot of threads that have escalated into arguments but EQ has less than most and I like the fact that is a tolorant and friendly forum. Let's all make peace and get on with sharing our knowlege and helping each other.
  14. ptlee8202

ptlee8202 New Member

I switched my Q9h to EDGE only using BANDSELECT but it made no difference. The BJ II is practically the same as the Q9h and they are both on ATT. I don't understand why it works on one but not the other.
  15. mexiken

mexiken New Member

Time for the "OP" to chime in =)

Most people who are reporting their "My Location" working are, as Dr. Q states, misinformed on the feature. I don't really want to post 5 responses about how you're wrong. I can only hope someone who IS informed will look at this thread and be willing to help out with my real question. I will state it simply. If you have to check the "Use GPS" option, then you are using just that, GPS, and not the "My Location" feature which works on phones without GPS. Second, Dr. Q was right on about WHY I would want to use "My Location" instead of GPS. Read his posts.

I realize dwboston, that I made a mistake. I apologized in my thread numerous times, and moved on. I actually wanted to take YOUR side on that matter, but instead agreed with the moto xpert originally. However, some simple tests that neither you or I performed proved him wrong. YOU participated in that forum, and you did not post any of the same evidence which I used to determine one way or another that the Q9h had true GPS. It wasn't until Tin Star made a comment that I realized I had overlooked some simple tests I could perform and when they proved me wrong, I apologized, both here and on the original forum where I found the argument. If you decided to carry over your argument to other threads, so be it. But the thread, which contained none of the evidence you said you had approached that original poster with, the same place I became aware of the disagreement, is where I posted both my "breathless manifesto" and my apology. I posted the link to the thread which contained the posts by the person who actually tested and verified that the "My Location" feature works on the BJ II, but only on the EDGE network. You can take whatever I say with a grain of salt, personally it doesn't make much difference to me, you don't quite comprehend the scope of the question I'm really asking anyway.

Thank you Dr. Q for trying to explain and not losing your cool, you did better than I.

For anyone who is still interested, can anyone figure it out ???? I mean I know a bit about programming, but I don't think I know enough to mull the two ROMS or registries over and figure out the difference. However I could get copies of both if you should require them. Anyone think they can figure out why ???? Please post. Thanks for your help.
  16. mexiken

mexiken New Member

That, ptlee, is EXACTLY the question I'm asking. Thanks for understanding, makes me feel like I'm not crazy and can communicate in English like the rest of the posters here.

I don't know why either. My best guess is to take a look at the registries and ROMS of both and compare the two, noting differences that might be why. Thats what I'm asking for, someone who knows what they're doing that can look that and over, and more importantly, help implement changes. I just want all us Q9h users to be able to use the feature as well.
  17. Joneyee

Joneyee New Member

Thanks for the tutorial, but I know the difference.

The subject of this thread says "my location" doesn;t work with Q9h. The Google Maps beta does not make a distinction with respect to GPS being on or off when it discusses discusses My Location.

My Location with GPS on is the only option that makes sense with the Q9h and as such the title of the thread is misleading. Perhaps it should state "Q9h + Google Maps w/ GPS off, My Location does not work". Thats a true statement.

However, why gripe about that. Turn GPS on and be done with it.

The BJ I also would not work on 3G, only Edge.
  18. dwboston

dwboston New Member

You are incorrect. I ran the GPS tests with no SIM card in the phone and "reported" my results and was ignored by the expert over there. There were a couple of threads over there and apparently you didn't see them all or read through them all. No big deal.

And I understand what you are asking in this thread. The point I am making is that "My Location" works via GPS (obviously) and that a quick(er) GPS fix can be obtained using GPS Test to "fire up" the built-in GPS.
  19. ptlee8202

ptlee8202 New Member

[The "My Location" feature takes information broadcast from mobile towers near you to approximate your current location on the map - it's not GPS, but it comes pretty close (approximately 1000m close, on average). We're still in beta, but we're excited to launch this feature and are constantly working to improve our coverage and accuracy.] quote from google.com.

GMM worked with the Q9h's GPS even before this new feature came out. That is nothing new. And NO, the feature is not to recenter your position on the map although it does do that. You could probably do that in the pre "my location" version by toggling "use GPS".

If you do understand what the OP is asking for and you understand what this feature is, are you posting anything to help him or just trying to hinder him?
  20. mexiken

mexiken New Member

If you did dwboston, I'm sorry I didn't see those. I only saw the one where you and geoffrey got into it. Thats where I started doubting the Q9h had "true" GPS, because from a programming/engineering standpoint, what he said IS feasible, its just not true in this case.

I understand that you get a lock and all, and thats great. But I don't have such luck. Inside a building, especially at school, the GPS just won't work. GPS Test picks up many towers, but they're all red, not sufficient to calculate position. I live in a new development area here and on the 2nd story of my house in my room, its a bit squeamish about locking on also. Even when I'm driving, the buildings, terrain, and foliage of good ol Los Angeles are enough to make the GPS chip struggle for signal. And even if I do, the signal will leave if I happen to be around enough of the above factors. When I'm at friends houes and I want to lock onto my position, search nearby, or whatnot, its hard to wait for the GPS to fire up, then switch to GMM or WLS, and then map it. Plus, leaving the GPS on continuosly eats battery. Maybe not the extended one, but I use my phone A LOT, for email and texting and moderately for phone calls. I average about 100 emails a day and about 10-15000 texts a month. So anywhere I could save some battery would be appreciated. I hope you can understand that.

I guess what I'm most ticked off about is why the BJ II works, at least partially, and the Q9h doesn't =(